EY Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

EY US Reviews

United States

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great Place to Work, Learn and Grow!"

Current Employee - Tax Partner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Partner in New York, NY

Pros

The people are great and the work is highly technical and interesting. We look for people that we like to work with. Our culture is second to none in the Big 4 - we actually like working with one another. We work for and with some of the world's best clients on the most sophisticated transactions. We try and really grow our people by putting them is situations that allows them to stretch to meet the demands of client service. Further we are an entreprenurial firm - we reward results and are not tied up on people's levels or titles - we like ability.

Cons

Long hours, but proper client service requires long hours. That is it. We work hard for our clients. For me doing international work it means my hours are long, but the firm provides me the flexibility to get my work done and spend time with my family.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you are doing a great job managing the firm. The firm is financially sound. Leadership does a very good job of keeping decisions transparent.

2. "Best Place to Launch a Career indeed"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Boston, MA

Pros

The bright and friendly people that I work with make this place a great. I've honestly met the most intelligent and amiable individuals in my time working here. The commraderie is amazing. My group is within the the Assurance and Advisory Business Services for the Financial Services Industry. We all get together on a regular basis for drinks at a bar or someone's apartment.

Cons

In my group, it's definitely the hours.

Advice to Management

Please continue working on the work/life balance and career development of your employees, whether it be within the same group or moving laterally to another, it sometimes feels like a betrayal if someone is interested in exploring their career into another area.

3. "Great place to launch your carrear!"

Current Employee - Advisory Staff in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Advisory Staff in Houston, TX

Pros

Great reputation with global presence

Cons

Lower pay scale than comparable accounting firms and mediocre benefits compared to private companies

Advice to Management

It will be great if we could talk to senior management more often

4. "Good Career Opportunities, Great if you want your CPA, Compensation is mediocre"

Current Employee - Advisory Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Staff in New York, NY

Pros

There are a lot of good career opportunities at Ernst & Young. This is a great place to work if you need to get your audit hours for your CPA and are not sure if you want to stay in Public Accounting forever. You can rotate into the assurance group while still getting experience as either a consultant or by doing advisory work.

Cons

The compensation is not that great. The 401k benefits are only 50% up to 6% of your salary. The bonuses are almost nonexistant. Also, you may get rotated around different groups so you never get any real stability.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate retention issues

5. "Senior IT Auditor"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Opportunities for travel and the best training in the business.

Cons

Long hours and demands on my weekend schedule.

Advice to Management

Cut employees that can't handle the job.

6. "Good employer but could be better"

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent reputation and name recognition. Tremendous technology support. Ability to work remotely when necessary.

Cons

For those who are not serving clients directly but are in support roles such as HR and Finance, you are treated as second class citizens in terms of pay and bonuses. Performance appraisals and ratings are more a popularity contest than level playing field.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

7. "Great place to work an grow"

Current Employee - Advisory Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior Manager in New York, NY

Pros

There is good opportunity to work on the types of things taht you want to work on. E&Y is consistently names amongst the top places to work, and for good reason.

Cons

The employee review process is far to subjective and WAY to political. There is a system that collects feedback that is almost disregarded during the review process.

Advice to Management

It seems that the firm strategies are a day late sometimes...

8. "Overall great experience"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Great Pay, Great people, Great experience overall

Cons

Long Hours, sometimes little recognition

Advice to Management

little more recognition, maybe raise the pay

9. "E&Y, A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Flexible and great environment to work in.

Cons

May feel too big for some.

Advice to Management

Senior management does a great job at getting everyone involved from the staff level up.

10. "Opportunities abound for those who take advantage of them..."

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

You get to work with intelligent people (in most cases) from around the world. You have the opportunity to work and live abroad. There is a clear focus on constant learning and development. And, depending on the group you are in, your coworkers do take a genuine interest in you as a person (and as a person who has a life outside of work).

Cons

Due to the nature of the work, the hours are sometimes long (particularly when you have to coordinate schedules among a global team). Some of the people are very narrow minded and don't have an interest in or knowledge of the world outside of their narrow area of focus. There are still remnants (disappearing fast thankfully) of the old boys network where people are given access to work on choice projects and are promoted based on their ability to bullsh*t and to talk sports with the boys.

Advice to Management

Move beyond the narrow focus on growing revenues and flattering clients with advice that they want to hear. Take seriously your role in the capital markets and your place in public life in general. Clearly, you must focus on having a tangible impact on the client's business. But don't ignore the wider implications of the advice you are providing to clients. No doubt, EY is making great strides in this direction but there is definitely room for improvement.

Showing 189 of 14,305 reviews