EY Reviews | Glassdoor

12,284 reviews

Full-time Part-time

12,284 Employee Reviews

Cons

"EY review from senior consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Richmond, VA

Pros

Flexibility is key to why I am so happy to work for EY. Working from home on Friday's when I travel during the week really helps me spend the time I need to with my family.

Cons

Significant out of town travel. I typically spend 3 to 4 nights a week in a hotel as a business advisor. EY has a program where you can take your spouse with you once a month and they will pay for airfare and the hotel stay, etc. So even though I travel extensively, the flexibility provided by the firm is outstanding.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Great opportunities for those who know they want public accounting."

Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Ernst & Young, to me, is the best public accounting firm of the Big 4. The organization is excellent at helping you succeed. They are also extremely flexible with vacation and working hours. They believe in their people and are more than fair.

Cons

More a critique of the Big 4 and not Ernst & Young itself, I feel the major downside is that all employees are promoted/compensated at the same rate and time. Those who stand out are not promoted ahead of those who lag behind; it is very step oriented. Compared to other Big 4 firms, EY is also on the low end for salaries. However, I think their organization/culture is a great equalizer to this. I still would go with Ernst & Young if I had to do again (between choosing from the Big 4).

Advice to Management

They are very good. I really have no advice. I left more because the job wasn't for me than for any negativity with the organization itself. If public accounting is what you want, Ernst & Young is the best.

3. "Opportunities abound for those who take advantage of them..."

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

You get to work with intelligent people (in most cases) from around the world. You have the opportunity to work and live abroad. There is a clear focus on constant learning and development. And, depending on the group you are in, your coworkers do take a genuine interest in you as a person (and as a person who has a life outside of work).

Cons

Due to the nature of the work, the hours are sometimes long (particularly when you have to coordinate schedules among a global team). Some of the people are very narrow minded and don't have an interest in or knowledge of the world outside of their narrow area of focus. There are still remnants (disappearing fast thankfully) of the old boys network where people are given access to work on choice projects and are promoted based on their ability to bullsh*t and to talk sports with the boys.

Advice to Management

Move beyond the narrow focus on growing revenues and flattering clients with advice that they want to hear. Take seriously your role in the capital markets and your place in public life in general. Clearly, you must focus on having a tangible impact on the client's business. But don't ignore the wider implications of the advice you are providing to clients. No doubt, EY is making great strides in this direction but there is definitely room for improvement.

5. "E&Y, A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Flexible and great environment to work in.

Cons

May feel too big for some.

Advice to Management

Senior management does a great job at getting everyone involved from the staff level up.

6. "Good Career Opportunities, Great if you want your CPA, Compensation is mediocre"

Current Employee - Advisory Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Staff in New York, NY

Pros

There are a lot of good career opportunities at Ernst & Young. This is a great place to work if you need to get your audit hours for your CPA and are not sure if you want to stay in Public Accounting forever. You can rotate into the assurance group while still getting experience as either a consultant or by doing advisory work.

Cons

The compensation is not that great. The 401k benefits are only 50% up to 6% of your salary. The bonuses are almost nonexistant. Also, you may get rotated around different groups so you never get any real stability.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate retention issues

7. "Great Place to Work, Learn and Grow!"

Current Employee - Tax Partner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Partner in New York, NY

Pros

The people are great and the work is highly technical and interesting. We look for people that we like to work with. Our culture is second to none in the Big 4 - we actually like working with one another. We work for and with some of the world's best clients on the most sophisticated transactions. We try and really grow our people by putting them is situations that allows them to stretch to meet the demands of client service. Further we are an entreprenurial firm - we reward results and are not tied up on people's levels or titles - we like ability.

Cons

Long hours, but proper client service requires long hours. That is it. We work hard for our clients. For me doing international work it means my hours are long, but the firm provides me the flexibility to get my work done and spend time with my family.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you are doing a great job managing the firm. The firm is financially sound. Leadership does a very good job of keeping decisions transparent.

8. "Growth is attainable through hard work."

Current Employee - Staff II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Staff II in Dallas, TX

Pros

Competitive salaries, personal growth available.

Cons

Difficult to maintain a work/life balance and continue to climb the corporate ladder.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the little people (interns, admin, CSG, etc.)

9. "Ernst & Young, a great place to start and grow your career."

Current Employee - Audit Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in New York, NY

Pros

The great knowledge sharing and learning environment.
    Career growth and advancement
    The ability to get a truly international experience through Global Employee sharing programs.

Cons

The bonus structure. EY pays a higher base salary than other firms but has a lower level of bonus payouts. Due to this better employees may not necessarily be compensated better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.
    Be more aggressive in building a better brand and getting new projects.

10. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Audit in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Audit in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Great name recognition. Great training program.

Cons

Less of a team feel.

Advice to Management

Create more of a team.

11. "A great place to begin a career"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

The work is very Interesting, and every day there is something new to do. We are given lots of responsibility right from the start. There are many resources available within firm, and it is nice to be able to call up other departments to complete tasks. The firm has international recognition- it is know by everyone worldwide. Therefore, I think it's a great place to begin and establish yourself. I could be here for the long term but I'm not very sure. The salary is competitive with other firms but could be better. All in all a very comfortable work environment.

Cons

The work is sometimes too rigid.

Advice to Management

None

Showing 12,284 of 13,373 reviews