EY Reviews | Glassdoor

EY Reviews

Updated August 21, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Audit Senior"

Pros

- Pay is decent
    - The staff and senior auditors are generally very nice

Cons

- Overworked
    - Insufficient training
    - Extremely high staff and manager turnover

2. "Parents, be careful!"

I worked at EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

salary, time off (only if you are allowed to take it w/o being looked down on)

Cons

Flexibility promised to working parents was not as promised. Recruiter lied in answer to multiple questions on this topic. Please speak to the hiring manager directly about these concerns before accepting a position (if they let you; they didn't let me talk to mine about this when I asked -- should have been big red flag). They say you have unlimited sick days for your children (you get zero days for this), flexible hours day-to-day (lie), lots of vacation time (but they get incensed when you ask to take it), work from home (but not if the boss says no). They actually have an HR brochure that suggests you take your sick kids with a fever to their backup daycare (rather than to a doctor or letting them rest at home) so you can work! My coworker (divorced mom of young kids) was forced to take on a lot of out-of-state travel for no extra pay and told to "get a nanny." When I tried to take advantage of the flexibility promised, I became a pariah to my boss. Life was hell. When I complained and asked for a transfer, EY claimed I had resigned, despite my insistence that I hadn't. I was (in the words of the unemployment office making the determination) "discharged without just cause." I never even had one performance review. So parents and anyone else looking for flexibility, be careful and know that the recruiters will lie like a used car salesman just to close the deal. And you will be considered expendable if work is not your #1 priority in life.

Advice to Management

Wake up to 2016 and look around. Real flexibility is out there, but what you offer isn't it. And please stop going on PR tours talking about how flexible you are so you can win meaningless awards. Think about why you have a revolving door and need to hire 60,000 people annually. Many of the people I went through orientation with were already looking for a new job within a couple months.

3. "Do not do it. Run."

Current Employee - Assurance
    Current Employee - Assurance

Pros

Only positive is that you can tell people you work for Big 4 - tends to impress. That is literally the only positive thing.

Cons

Literally all of it. The pay is much less than elsewhere - it does not catch up to other places. No work life balance

Advice to Management

Manage people better, match market salaries, treat seniors and staff as more than numbers

4. "Audit senior"

Former Employee - Assurance in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assurance in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EY (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing. Guess I need 5 words.

Cons

Compensation for hours is terrible. Mindless work. Everyone is pretty depressed below senior manager. Not a healthy atmosphere when probably 80% of your group wants to leave. To be fair, it's not just them. Audit is in a really bad state.

Advice to Management

Give internal exit ops. Rotate people into advisory. Probably not too much you can do.

5. "High school"

Former Employee - Staff II
    Former Employee - Staff II

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reputation is the only upside

Cons

The people are disgusting, political and fake.

Advice to Management

Quit because you're horrible

"Women should avoid this place"

Former Employee - Senior Digital Analytics Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Digital Analytics Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm not sure what the pros are since my interactions with them were poor when they acquired my company, that I quit immediately.

Cons

Six months into my pregnancy (with my first child) my company was acquired by EY. Initially I was super excited... however quickly became saddened by the way the company treats new moms. When my offer letter was presented to me I was told that I would not be eligible for EYs paid maternity leave due to the fact that although they had acquired a company that I had been employed at for five years, I hadn't been an EY employee yet for 12 months. Disappointing but I could live with it. Over the next month I repeatedly asked HR about the FMLA qualification which is also based on 12 months of employment, Short Term disability eligibility or loss of, lost PTO with the acquisition etc. I basically wanted to know if I was getting 6 weeks unpaid or 3 months unpaid after my baby was born so I could plan accordingly. I was told each time that I could not engage with EYs maternity team until the deal closed. Time was ticking on and the stress of not knowing during my pregnancy was just too saddening - I knew I had to leave the company for my own health. I quickly found a new job at a company that went out of their way to treat me like one of their own and while I disqualified from both FMLA and short term disability I knew I could never trust Society nor EY if I stayed.

Fast forward three weeks after leaving the company, a dozen emails later and I am sitting pregnant without health insurance. Neither company will give me access to Cobra that I've repeatedly asked for. Cobra told me I'm not in their system. I'm paying out of pocket for my ultrasounds and praying that nothing happens to me. Only one week to go until my new coverage kicks in. Unfortunately health insurance companies won't provide short term coverage to pregnant women so I'm out of luck.

Shame on them.

Advice to Management

Where should I begin? Don't treat new moms and dads the way you treated me when you acquire companies with soon to be parents. And don't acquire companies that try to show loyal employees the door the day after they give notice in order to quickly replace them and save the client. That just backfires.... My client found out what happened and pulled her contract too.

7. "Terrible place"

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer

I worked at EY (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefit and perks - that's it! Nothing more.

Cons

Forget about bonuses!
    Work hard for nothing

8. "Compensation"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

on-the-job training, reputation, job security

Cons

hours, stress, travel, compensation, transparency

"Staff - ISAC (Cleveland, OH)"

Former Employee - ISAC Staff in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - ISAC Staff in Cleveland, OH

I worked at EY full-time

Pros

It is based out of Cleveland where the living expenses are low

Cons

This review is specific to the ISAC (IT Shared Analysis Center) team in Cleveland, OH

Modern day slavery – quantity of work you do is given maximum importance. You are bribed with terms like “Green card” and “Promotion”, but deemed “not good enough for this” and screwed over during year-end review process

No career growth – The kind of work you do here can be done by 10th grade students. No degree is required to convert text to excel, correct spelling mistakes on files, re-order columns on excel. Their actual “technical” work is anything but technical – Clicking buttons to generate reports, copy paste existing code and change spellings, “Configure” environments (Fancy terminology for changing ON to OFF)

No work life balance – your private cell phone number is taken for emergencies but you are constantly contacted at odd times of the day and weekends for unimportant stuff in the name of “deadlines” that don’t exist

Toxic work environment – People are always angry, unhappy, spiteful or in tears

Poor work structure – Multiple projects with different types of tasks causing each person to work for 12 – 13 hours a day just to get 9 hours of billable time. Lot of time wasted in unwanted documentation, waiting on responses from clients/managers, switching times to mentally prepare for a new task, thrown into a project and later expected to learn what it is about (learning times not counted as billable time therefore having to work extra hours a day/night). Complete disaster

No flexibility – There is nothing remotely Ernst & Young like about this team. You have no flexibility to work from home unless you have a physical disability that is causing you to be immobile. You HAVE to work physically from the office even though every other person you work with is working from different parts of the country. The team works primarily out of Cleveland, OH (That in itself should have been enough reason not to join this team), you will not be allowed to change your work location until you reach manager level. If finally you decide that this team is not meant for you and request for an internal transfer, you will face one of the following: 1. Blocked from transferring and forced to continue working for that team 2. Transfer approved for 12 months in the future 3. Fired. You just have to take your chance

Please reconsider before you join this team. The name Ernst & Young might be lucrative, but this team is an anomaly to the organization. The management has a really twisted mentality and will play you and squeeze every bit of life from you in the name of “Utilization”. Your concerns will NEVER be addressed and your career progress will remain stagnant. Worst decision of my life. Truly traumatic experience.

Advice to Management

For ISAC Management: Please focus on Employee retention and ways to improve the morale of employees
    For overall Ernst & Young management - Please take a good look at what's happening inside this team, it is miles and miles away from what the EY experience should actually be

"Culture of Firing"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money ,professional growth,mileage points

Cons

You can get fired anytime.
    I am surprised that no one has written this point. Looks like they have hired professional help to dilute real reviews. 4 persons got fired just because the partners could not get them projects.
    Absolutely not for individuals who are looking for stability . Strict no no for H1 Visa holder.

Advice to Management

Do not encourage mindless hiring and firing.

Showing 495 of 14,306 reviews