EY Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

12,876 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"God hates auditors; this is proof"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility. A lot of young people that you can suffer along with. Decent cafe (5X2). Not much else apart from that.

Cons

Long hours, poor budgeting on teams, pigeon holed into the same job or end up at a fund. High turnover. Difficult to have a work/life balance

Advice to Management

Care more about the people who work there and treat them like people not slaves

"Worst company I have ever worked for due to Horrible Partners"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To have a"Big Four" company on your resume.

Cons

Partners only want you to think they care about you but they could not care less. I spent a large amount of time on the road with a huge amount of staff and the partners only did their cameo appearance for their so called troops once in a while. What made it worse is that they throw their own senior managers under the bus when bad apples complain about long working hours and then turn around and ask the Senior Managers why client targets were not met. The Partners don't even give their Senior Managers a chance to respond to accusations and just decides to make changes without worrying about outcomes. I have worked for a number of different companies in my time and don't know of a worse company than E&Y. The average time that managers and senior managers last is under 2 years because HR lies and tells everyone who joins that bonuses are in the neighborhood of 10%. What they don't tell you is that only a small % of people actually get a bonus. If you do want to try consulting, go with one of the other 3 like Deliotte, PWC or KPMG as I can't imagine any of them being than E&Y and managers and Senior Managers seem to stay longer there which most likely mean they treat their people better. Partners treat their people as expendable commodites to be tossed aside like garbage when they are done with you. Stay far away!!!

Advice to Management

Stop lying to new hires and tell them that only a small handful of folks actually get bonuses rather than implying that everyone gets one.

"Not worth it."

Former Employee - IT Advisory Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Advisory Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good/decent growth since they place a lot of responsibility on you
    Some of the people are great to work with, very focused and professional

Cons

Compensation - All of the big 4 underpay with 'future' promises of a windfall if/when you make partner. At the end of the day, after late nights and weekends, you'll feel extremely short-changed. Those who are motivated (and smart) are better served leaving as Managers.
    Culture - Even though it definitely is not as aggressive as the other big 4, it leaves a lot to be desired. Extremely conservative and risk averse, there is a huge disconnect between the staff/senior and upper management. A spine is something they need, since they often fail to take a stance in front of clients.

Advice to Management

Spread the wealth, you charge the client a ridiculous hourly rate yet only the partners really see the lions share of that money, especially those who are retired (in this age, a fat pension is dragging you back). Do what it takes to raise the standards of your consultants (incentives, layoffs) and them compensate them appropriately. A top heavy structure is crushing the staff, those who are smart and motivated will do what it takes to make it to the top, incentivize them.

4. "Terrible experience"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in McLean, VA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people hired at same time as me!

Cons

Work you to death. Do not care about work life balance. You will not have a life. They do not listen to suggestions.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

"Bloodsuckers"

Current Employee - Manager Advisory Services in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager Advisory Services in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and brand name on your resume.

Cons

Since EY has expanded their advisory services practice their retention and work satisfaction in that practice has been horrible. People are being over worked under served and under payed. The partners are cleaning up. It has turned into a chop shop for consulting services.

Advice to Management

Completely rethink your advisory expansion and how it impacts your overall culture and the health and life of your employees.

"Media Ratings Advisory Services (MRAS) - Deceived during interview process - STAY AWAY!"

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall it is just like any other big 4 when it comes to people. Generally everyone was very nice and cordial. Good pay considering the economy.

Cons

Extreme management issues. Teams are broken into TV, Radio, Internet and International - Radio, Print and TV. Some teams are stronger than others and are very organized. Others however lack strong leaders that take charge and truly understand teamwork. You are encouraged to seek work AGGRESSIVELY when you are not assigned to a full week. Mixed signals from management across majority of teams. I would strongly consider a position in this division within advisory. There is a glass ceiling that no one talks about. Experience with this area does not translate into industry with the exception of current clients. Some managers are not effective at managing time. One in particular is notorious for proving 8 hours of work on a wednesday afternoon around 3:00pm and expects it to be completed the same day. If you are EXTREMELY desperate and needing a job, that is the only reason I would suggest this team Stay away! Look into other advisory teams or the tax/audit side.

Advice to Management

Take ownership of the work you are providing to seniors and staff. Communicate clearly and effectively. Manage time so that work is distributed evenly throughout the day, or to your best ability.

"MRAS Senior - Biggest Mistake Of My Career!!!"

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A slight taste of the "Big 4" experience.

Cons

I will not comment on the Tax or Assurance side of the firm, however I would not recommend the Advisory - MRAS group to anyone! Do yourself a favor and continue your search.

"Tax Manager in The Atlanta office"

Former Employee - Tax Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Tax Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good job if you're looking for a Resume builder, training, benefits,

Cons

Sweatshop to the extreme, generally lowest salaries of BIG 4

9. "Horrible"

Current Employee - Auditor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Auditor in Houston, TX

I have been working at EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot and good opportunity if you quit

Cons

Work long hours and sometimes boring work

Advice to Management

Need to pay more and cut hours

"Terrible experience, Partners incompetent"

Former Employee - INV Banking in New York, NY
    Former Employee - INV Banking in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EY generates a strong brand within financial services that can be leveraged for other, better pursuits. Also the firm does provide good benefits (at the Manager+ levels)

Cons

Working at EY was pretty much a waste of time. To be clear, I worked in the Capital Advisory group at EY (broker/dealer). In sum, the Partners within the Practice basically could not sell work, many of which focused more on their golf skills on the course than teeing up deals to sell for the Associates. Also, the associates mix in technical skill sets varied, indicating that EY does not rigorously weed out bad talent. The biggest problem with the firm is senior management, where the competent/incompetent Partners stand at a ratio of 10/90. The firm, at least my group, further was very non-collegial and there was a lot of backstabbing/throwing colleagues under the bus just to impress the Partners; far more brown nosing than true competence. Glad I left!

Advice to Management

Fire Partners who do not bring in deals/generate revenue for the firm, simple as that. You are wasting time subsidizing their salaries and total comp with the real Partners who can sell. Implement a more collaborative working environment by bringing in more outside talent than jus home growing most of your partners.

Showing 12,876 of 14,030 reviews