EY Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

United Kingdom

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Cons

1. "Worst company I ever worked at"

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very broad exposure to different areas in the banking sector.

Cons

Work/life balance is non-existent.
    If you are based on the client site often you are expected to show face even if you have no work to do.
    There are people who work till 1 am in the morning and people who don't do any work at all.
    Too much office politics.
    Too much finger pointing.

Advice to Management

There is no 360 degree feedback. Listen to the more junior members.

2. "Modern day Sweatshop."

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very intelligent people working at EY, offices are also modern and provide a good physical environment to work in. Clients can also be interesting and high profile.

Cons

Complete lack of transparency. For a company which prides itself on looking after its 'people', it is about as transparent as mud. Performance review roundtables done in secret, with little input into what is said. A modern day old boys club, to get far in EY it is not what you know but who you know. I witnessed on a number of occasions extremely overworked colleagues, (ranging from SC - ED) who were reduced to tears due to their workload and pressure put on them to perform. Work is often won, with the sole output been a beautiful looking powerpoint (you will leave EY with amazing ppt skills) and tense moments arrive near the end of the project when the client realises what they have spent all their time and money on. Prepare to be surrounded by huge ego's, and incompetent mid-managers who are still there because of who they know. Up at 4 on a Monday to spend the week at a client, home by 9pm on a Friday if you're lucky. Work life balance is perfect, if work is your life - if not then EY will ruin your social life and strain any relationships you have. Worst employer of my career.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at yourself, start with a genuine dialogue with those at the lower end of the scale.

3. "Very political office"

Former Employee - Audit Manager in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Audit Manager in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at EY full-time

Pros

International office, interesting spread of clients, good travel opportunities, good leave policy, flexible working

Cons

Unhelpful management team, lack of team work, lack of leadership from partners, promotions awarded based on favouritism, unfair rating system to achieve bell curve targets, insufficient staff recognition, rude management, high staff turnover, a lot of talk on the ground that management is not aware of, management can't be bothered to reply to emails, constantly missing deadlines.

Advice to Management

Need to learn to appreciate your staff and give people a reason to stay. Being friendly can go a long way. Helping each other will promote a positive working environment.

5. "Legal Modern Slavery"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing, Nothing and Nothing!!! One of the worst firm in our Multiverse or atleast Milkyway Galaxy. Worst experience of my life and such a waist of time at this firm.

Cons

Too many to count - EY needs slaves to work for them not humans. If you are looking for some illness ideally mental health related issue or some sort of crazy breakdown than please join EY.

Advice to Management

Well just read all the reviews at Glassdoor and do something about it.

6. "Assurance Executive"

Former Employee - Executive, Assurance in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Executive, Assurance in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looks good on your CV that you have trained with a Big 4 company.

Cons

You are treated as a resource rather than an employee or human being.

Advice to Management

They don't care so no point.

7. "Assurance Intern - Avoid"

Current Intern - Assurance Intern in London, England (UK)
    Current Intern - Assurance Intern in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work towards an accounting qualification, good starting point for your career. Some members of staff are friendly and you rely on them to get past the days

Cons

Extremely low morale within Audit at the moment, the turnover of staff is at critical levels. There is too much pressure on client margins. There is NO work life balance. Interns and first years are expected to work weekends and during busy season past 9pm. Just this week we received an email saying we should be working 50 hour weeks minimum. There is no formal process in place for intern support, the feedback system is flawed. Management are not caring whatsoever. You can't choose your clients, resourcing is a TOTAL mess in the London office.

Honestly, if you're applying for EY for an internship, you're obviously clever and have the grades. My advice: You're worth so much more than this slave labour job!

Advice to Management

We aren't resources, we are people, we aren't going to work our weekends for free and don't act so surprised when someone actually says no.

"EMEIA Advisory - not diversity friendly"

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many of the people are really good to work with. I enjoy the nature of the work which is varied and interesting. I have great relationships with my colleagues. EY overall is an exiting place to be right now and there are some great teams.

Cons

Being female and a minority I receive many negative comments. The work environment is not diverse friendly and is very white, male, middle aged. Generally I feel very uncomfortable in the work environment and regret leaving my previous role to join this area of the business. There is not a good culture and the leaders are rude and patronizing to work with.

Advice to Management

Make this area of our business more diverse friendly and avoid the negative white male culture in place.

9. "Look elsewhere for graduate employment"

Current Employee - Assurance in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assurance in London, England (UK)

Pros

You get your professional qualification and you can put EY on your CV once you finally reach the point where you can run for your life.

Cons

Assurance employees have poor salary and very poor work-life balance. You will not be able to meet any substantial financial goals on EY salary alone, nor will you have decent work-life balance until you reach the very senior levels, which takes years. EY's great work-life publicity does not, I repeat, does NOT apply to the Assurance employees unless you are a senior manager or executive director. I would think very carefully about whether the sacrifice is worth it. I don't know what other companies are like, but it shouldn't be a stretch to say there are better options out there for graduates.

Advice to Management

Make employees more of a priority than your bottom line. Exploitation does not have to be the accepted status quo. Employees know when they are being taken advantage of, which is why your turnover is so high.

"Assurance Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good connections to other companies

Cons

Resource management have far too much power
    Don't care about the welfare of employees despite claims to "act like a small firm"
    Treat staff like machines - horrendous hours
    No HR contact
    Poor pay
    Everyone who works there is borderline sociopathic
    No one cares about anyone but themselves
    Horrific training - senior staff teaching illegal practices to juniors

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach in your propaganda
    Consider the fact that people actually have feelings
    Hire some better resource managers who actually have brains
    Develop hierarchy (new joiners have no manager or contact)

11. "Not good for experienced hires"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free stationery and plastic cups. Some good opportunities for new grads who ensure they stay in London, avoid secondment or engagements outside of their practice group and who are realistic about the remote possibility of promotion to the partnership.

Cons

Old fashioned, hierarchical, target-driven culture which makes collaboration difficult as people seek to hoard information and steal credit in order to justify promotion and (meagre) bonuses. Opportunities for useful training (other than mandatory compliance) are extremely rare.

Showing 44 of 13,333 reviews