EY Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends

"Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for development.
    Some amazing people.
    Travel opportunities.
    If you are vocal you can get access to great experiences

Cons

Some advisory client work is very boring. if you have no consulting experience it can be a shock to the system to come from industry.

2. "ey"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY (Less than a year)

Pros

good place to learn and expand network. the firm is trying to expand its advisory business in UK hence good promotion opportunities too.

Cons

too much travel; bonus structure not great; sometimes it can be difficult to maintain work life balance and salaries relatively low compared to other big4

3. "audit associate"

Former Employee - Audit in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Audit in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

good benefits, 25 days holiday, training opportunity to meet other people from different offices

Cons

Busy season periods all throughout the year, which is different to the conception that it is only in January

Advice to Management

I would suggest that the partners should be more approachable and speak to more junior members of the firm

5. "Senior Manager"

Former Contractor - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Day rate was good
    Good teams and colleagues generally look to help

Cons

Work life balance
    Lack of decision making; Consequently lots of rework and delays which was frustrating

Advice to Management

Do a bit more than just talk about work life balance

6. "Senior consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant II Advisory Services in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1 Variant exposures to the entire banking industry, you are able to explore the different service lines and different work loads
    Work mobile
    2 Good salary among big 4
    3 solid promotion plans, clear and easy to understand

Cons

1 long hours, typical 9am to 8pm when you are in an engagement
    2 no bonus
    3 hard to pick a project, you will be assigned and deployed, almost no personal willingness considered and respected, including oversea deployment, don't care if you have family commitments

7. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Culture - very nice people

Cons

Bad hours - not enough money for hours you work

8. "Firm as a whole good - Marketing department not so good"

Former Employee - Marketing Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally will give good employee benefits, subsidised gym membership, bike scheme contribution pension. There are also a lot of networks within the firm that you can join.
    Depending on which area you work in, salary is decent.
    There are good people in the firm that will help you achieve your personal and career development.

Cons

I worked in the UK&I Marketing department.
    When I joined I loved it, the atmosphere was great, the team was great.
    Then there was a change of leadership, and everything got a bit rubbish.
    No matter how hard you work, unless you are necessarily brown nosing then you will not get recognition.
    People who were down right thick seem to get all the exposure just because they were brown nosing. They demonstrated no actual successful work, were repeated getting other people to do their work and taking full credit for it and couldn't get to grips with the basic systems yet still managed to get promoted.
    It got to a point where I hated being there because of the amount of clear idiots in the department who just keep creating more work from all the mistakes they made, and the refusal of management to accept that the department was full of morons. One in particular who only got the job because of their connections, but who repeatedly is messing up the most basic of tasks such as sending emails to clients, putting the firm at risk of Data Protection regulations.
    Not to mention how they screw over returning mothers and those who will be going on maternity leave.
    After repeatedly asking for more challenging work, broadening my skills and unsuccessfully applying to an internal role, only to be told it had gone to someone external because I did not have digital experience (which we weren't allowed to get because there was a dedicated digital team), I had the last straw and got out of there. I found out after I had left that my senior manager had been blocking other managers and senior managers from using me when they needed help, and telling them that I was too busy. Even though I was bored out of my mind and asking for more things to do.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes, learn to say no to Global, question the mandate you are being given, properly align your teams to reflect the needs of the business.
    Really, really examine people's promotion requests don't just give them out like candy - it demotivates everyone else.
    Stop using personal vendetta's to push people put of the department or firm - accept that someone is good at their job and that they do a lot for the firm - don't take it as a threat that they could be after your job. It's pathetic.
    Stop being selfish and share the workload - a workforce that's challenged in the right way will do so much more for you.

9. "Nice Offices, Non-Competitive Salary."

Current Employee - Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Central office locations and nice offices. Great friendly working environment. Flexible working hours within reason.

Cons

Poor salary, the salaries are poor and non-competitive. There is no sign that this will change.
    The salaries do not match the high standards produced.

Advice to Management

Reconsider rewards, increase salaries.

10. "Becoming a Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager, Audit in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager, Audit in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent experience and exposure to Senior Management and Finance executives. Good work atmosphere generally, and young energetic teams

Cons

Long working hours and varying quality of Junior staff members might make jobs difficult. Margin focus puts pressure on Managers to achieve more with lower budgets. Highly competitive for Manager promotion and needs regular feedback.

Advice to Management

Try to engage more with the employees at a peer level and encourage and motivate more.

11. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Focus on flexible working, ability to maintain a work life balance in consulting, collegiate atmosphere, breadth of opportunity (range of projects and alternative directions to take your career)

Cons

Slow and sometimes opaque promotion process, below market salaries, excessive bureaucracy, risk aversion, variable calibre of colleagues vs top tier consulting

Advice to Management

Cut back on bureaucracy and embrace a bit more risk or we won't be able to keep pace with nimbler competitors. The parts of the business that are meant to keep us safe are going to be our downfall

Showing 162 of 13,007 reviews