EY Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

United Kingdom

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends

1. "Curate's egg"

Former Employee - Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

Pros

Access to top clients, working with bright and intelligent colleagues. Good chance to branch out from initial field of specialism into something completely different.

Cons

Extremely political environment where good work performed does not necessarily equate into success on the job. Internal competition for the same clients, propositions and staff. Clusters of non-performing Partners kept on

Advice to Management

Weed out the non performing leaders and concentrate on getting out to the market. For a firm that stresses its people values, in my time, they were conspiciously absent.

2. "Audit Senior"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well know brand. Good learning experience. Opens up opportunities in the market

Cons

Long hours. Work life balance takes strain. Stressful job with tight deadlines. No overtime payment

3. "Audit Manager"

Current Employee - Manager Telecommunications in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager Telecommunications in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging experiences
    - Diversity and inclusiveness
    - Client exposure

Cons

- Work life balance
    - Compensation

5. "ok if you have a 'Big 4' mindset"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible working arrangements, opportunities to work abroad, partner approachable and not that hierarchical, great place to start your career as a graduate to grow and gain experience with a variety of clients , great brand, mark weinberger comes across as a great guy!

Cons

too much focus on being out on client side and being chargeable, once you are chargeable, management quickly forgets about you, limited investment in learning / development if you end up in a team with insufficient L&D budget, very hard to get promoted if you don't play the game with influential people, not often adding enough value when out on client side (while charging crazy high rates / day) i've seen some people getting on really well in this organisation but you need to be driven by certain values and you need to have a specific 'Big 4' mindset

Advice to Management

focus more on the client and adding value than on own internal politics / games / making money.

6. "EY Review"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EY is a great place to work with a fantastic feeling around the office. Everyone works together to achieve common goals.

Cons

Since I've been at EY I haven't had any major negative points. The work is challenging but rewarding, resulting in a positive experience all round.

Advice to Management

Since I've been at EY I haven't had any major negative points. Therefore I wouldn't have any advice for management.

7. "Graduate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

well paid salary, plus there is a good support system of mentors and buddies in place so you can get the advice you need.

Cons

Sometimes there is little concern for getting you onto projects that are in line with your interests and development goals.

8. "work enviornment"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance and good career growth

Cons

Micro management & compensation levels are not in par with other Big4s

"Room for improvement"

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility
    Progression opportunities
    Good social focus (summer/Xmas parties, tax deadline drinks etc)

Cons

Pay could/should be better although levels below Manager have been addressed in recent years.
    Work like balance, there is paid overtime for some in the build up to tax filing deadline. Some need to work extra to stay on top of workload/meet client deadlines and others don't
    Lots of unnecessary meetings
    Some (non core work) tasks weighted high in annual performance reviews

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback as it could be an amazing place to work

10. "Growing company but real issues"

Current Employee - London in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - London in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time

Pros

Good team structure, workload between grads is often not equal in any way shape or form. Good canteen but expensive.

Cons

Stress. Political. Favouritism. Long work hours for relatively low pay. No bonus and salary increase very low (inflation pay revoked).

Advice to Management

Invest in your good staff not just the ones that play the political game. Partners need to far more accessible to junior staff.

11. "Good place to work if you don't mind it being corporate"

Former Employee - Account Support Associate in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Support Associate in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at EY part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had great support from my manager and wider team. They were very helpful in encouraging me not to overwork and supported me with figuring out how to make part-time work in the role.

Although I was 'just' in a support function (my phrasing) my contributions were valued by the technical teams I supported and there were clear opportunities for professional development if you wanted to move up.

Flexible working is embraced and facilitated very well (not just talked about) - wide-spread use within the company of Skype so you can collaborate with anyone, from anywhere.

Free hot drinks from a machine (not amazing quality but hot chocolate is great for a little pick-me-up!)

Cons

Office /EY global policy of hot-desking makes it hard to build meaningful relationships with colleagues and the office (2nd floor) had quite a quiet 'library' feel to it. That made it difficult to talk to people as I didn't like others listening in (for shy people life is hard!)

Break area for lunch in Barbirolli Square was not separated from work area and didn't feel like a private, chilled or welcoming space to eat in, especially if you want to have your lunch by yourself.

Expectation to work hard and play hard in order to build relationships and become embedded in the teams. But that is difficult if you already have a busy social life outside of work or just like quiet nights in.

Advice to Management

Keep up the guys work of supporting your direct reports and offering clear career progression.

Maybe rethink the hot-desking idea, especially for support staff who are office -based all week, let people in the same role sit together so they can collaborate!

Don't just offer part-time positions to mums, let any talented individual who wants to spend some of their working week doing something else, or who doesn't feel able to work the whole week, work part-time.

Showing 744 of 13,373 reviews