EZCORP Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
EZCORP CEO Stuart Grimshaw
Stuart Grimshaw

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, reasonable pay, Sundays off (in 8 reviews)

• Great learning experience & great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management sometimes neglects support team members (in 13 reviews)

• No training on products that are taken in as collateral, which in turn costs the company money and often results in reprimands (in 7 reviews)

"Lead Pawnbroker"

Current Employee - Lead Pawnbroker in Temple, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Pawnbroker in Temple, TX

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been working with this company for 8 years I love it I like my district manager and even my RDO, this company is an awesome place to learn the skills that is needed to be successful, I'm going to hate to leave because the customers and the team members are awesome but I have to leave and pursue the career I went college for, I'm so sad

Cons

One con is they took our assistant managers positions away but I understand completely. And they took away our 30% yes I miss it

Advice to Management

keep doing an awesome job but always let your team know that they do an outstanding job, my manager Marc Winston and my District Manager Matt Keller always let their Team members know they do an outstanding job all the time , I thank them completely.

2. "EzPawn life isn't so EZ"

Current Employee - Lead Pawn Broker in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Pawn Broker in Houston, TX

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Being able to learn about diamonds, gold and how to test for authenticity.
    -Small stores offers better interactions with your fellow coworkers.
    -Fast paced at some locations so work day ends quickly.
    -Learn how to read people body languages and make a decision to help them with a loan.
    -Hourly plus commission based
    -Becoming a store manager brings large bonuses after each month and after each year if goal is met

Cons

-Really long work hours, i.e 8am to 9pm, multiple days.
    -Promotions are ALWAYS talked about but rarely given in-home. Outside hiring bypass in-home promotions ALL the time.
    -Company rather trust outside help than their own people.
    -High turn over rate
    -Robberies, sometimes gunpoint
    -Micro-managing
    -Commissions keep getting smaller and smaller
    -No social life available
    -Open 7 days a week
    -It's a pawn shop that is really trying it's best to become a retail store
    -Company is always finding a way to pay their employees less bonuses
    -Will try to be open even if there is a natural disaster occurring; they expect the employees to go through flooded roads or icy roads to make a sale or loan, expecting to be busy on a day like that.

Advice to Management

You only get high turnover because you over work your hard workers to the point of breaking them. The few who have had enough, get smart enough to move on past Ezpawn. I would say it might feel bad being in a position to always be hiring but with what I have seen, I say it is just how you work. I guess it is cheaper to keep hiring willing, hardworking, loyal people, and use up all their resources until they quit. Also, keep in mind that the reason why you get a manager's bonus is because of your employees. If you take all the credit, like most, then you are left with employees not having respect for you. Some managers know this so they give back to their employees, a little gratitude for having a good team goes a long way.

"Not ideal."

Current Employee - Lead Pawn Broker in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Lead Pawn Broker in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employee discount that they allow towards merchandise(20%)
    Not much else besides the consumer aspect entailing the discount.
    Product knowledge you gain from your own experience.
    Collateral loans are very competitive compared to competition.

Cons

Huge disconnect from corporate office and storefronts.
    Useless corporate directives without input of storefront employees.
    Horrible pay considering the aggressive caliber of people you tend to and the demand the job requires.
    Typical of company to hire outside applicants that have never worked in the Pawn-loan industry for managerial positions.
    No training on products that are taken in as collateral, which in turn costs the company money and often results in reprimands.
    Low emphasis on armed security and high emphasis on unsuccessful and costly “gadgets”, often leaving employees in danger.
    Company has adopted a pricing system that reflects no significant change from retail price, which in turn causes inventory paralysis and can’t return a profit on defaulted loans.
    If an employee is just detrimental to productivity and not stealing, they choose not to fire them.
    Adequate equipment is not supplied.
    Commission structure is flawed.
    Toxic environment ensues between felonious customers and unproductive staff members.
    Negative fluctuation of rules and regulations between stores.
    No emphasis on city code/state laws that apply to pawn stores, which in turn can diminish proper procedure in dealing with possibly stolen property and can possibly have you subpoenaed.
    Compensation is comparable to minimum wage with much more responsibility.
    Health benefits are overly priced with small print exceptions to health related situations.
    No uniform allowance.
    Often left short staffed, due to payroll budgets that do not meet needs of store and its corresponding tier, nor the demand of procedure from corporate office.

Advice to Management

Complete overall on wages, training, equipment, budget and security.

"great to work there"

I worked at EZCORP full-time

Pros

Flexible time
    good benefits
    great environment
    good staff
    work perks

Cons

micro managing
    low pay
    high turnover
    low PTO

"RDO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at EZCORP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Too many CEO-President Changes with multiple change in directions for field front line managers. Also management very out of tune with what customers want and need.

Advice to Management

This could be an unbelievable customer proposition with value and service as well as changing America's belief/views of what a PAWN store could be if only management could visualize that and stick with the value that 35% of American Citizens need everyday but just don't screw them over for profits.

"Regional Director"

I worked at EZCORP full-time

Pros

at the time it was a growing company

Cons

New Executive Management bloated salaries and loss of strategic vision.

7. "Supervisor"

I worked at EZCORP full-time

Pros

Great work environment at all times.

Cons

Department is no longer around

8. "Key Holder"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Miami, FL

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits.........But You can'T NOT get to them, NO HR ADVOCATE !

Cons

THE WORST PLACE TO WORK FOR, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.

Advice to Management

Store Managers, ARE PUPPETS of the Regional Managers, and the regional Manager ARE A BUNCH OF JERKS CLOWNS.

9. "EzMoney Loans"

Former Employee - Fsa in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Fsa in Carrollton, TX

I worked at EZCORP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, reasonable pay, Sundays off

Cons

Higher ups expect you to do your job and the job of a manager even as just an associate

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

10. "Not worth your time or energy"

Former Employee - Lead Pawn Broker in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Lead Pawn Broker in Bloomington, MN

I worked at EZCORP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Don't have any pros unfortunately, I had high hopes for this company after being brought on but boy was I wrong! Met some interesting and cool people customer wise but that's about it.

Cons

Upper management needs better direction no true inspiration gives false hope about promotions and no real room to grow, if you're not a "store manager" you are treated like dirt! If you're a key holder you're suppose to act like a manager but told you're not one nor are you paid for the responsibilities you're tasked with. Healthcare is way to expensive compared to competitors and the entire set up is BS the product protection plans are a scam and the "no refund" policy is crap. As pawn brokers we are told to NOT pass on items just "low ball the person" which leads to taking in gross and crappy items and to top it off in today's age of technology relying on eBay and amazon for prices is complete garbage seeing the customers can do that themselves! Fix the EZ system it crashes every single day. The product is way over priced for used merchandise and the automatic price drops are bad nothing is being sold because you've taken away what pawn shops are known for good deals and discounts Take a step back and review your company and stores and get your act together! Some of the management you are currently employing should not have jobs that's all I'm saying.. good luck scam corp!

Advice to Management

Pay your employees! People have families to feed rent to pay, get your "Store Managers" in order, review these people and see if they really know what they're doing pay attention maybe this is why you guys can't keep good workers, stop over working the employees and fix the schedules people should not have to work 11-12 shifts 5-6 days a week! Another bites the dust

Sincerely