EZCORP Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
EZCORP CEO Stuart Grimshaw
Stuart Grimshaw

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great learning experience & great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits, reasonable pay, Sundays off (in 7 reviews)

Cons

1. "Not worth your time or energy"

Former Employee - Lead Pawn Broker in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Lead Pawn Broker in Bloomington, MN

I worked at EZCORP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Don't have any pros unfortunately, I had high hopes for this company after being brought on but boy was I wrong! Met some interesting and cool people customer wise but that's about it.

Cons

Upper management needs better direction no true inspiration gives false hope about promotions and no real room to grow, if you're not a "store manager" you are treated like dirt! If you're a key holder you're suppose to act like a manager but told you're not one nor are you paid for the responsibilities you're tasked with. Healthcare is way to expensive compared to competitors and the entire set up is BS the product protection plans are a scam and the "no refund" policy is crap. As pawn brokers we are told to NOT pass on items just "low ball the person" which leads to taking in gross and crappy items and to top it off in today's age of technology relying on eBay and amazon for prices is complete garbage seeing the customers can do that themselves! Fix the EZ system it crashes every single day. The product is way over priced for used merchandise and the automatic price drops are bad nothing is being sold because you've taken away what pawn shops are known for good deals and discounts Take a step back and review your company and stores and get your act together! Some of the management you are currently employing should not have jobs that's all I'm saying.. good luck scam corp!

Advice to Management

Pay your employees! People have families to feed rent to pay, get your "Store Managers" in order, review these people and see if they really know what they're doing pay attention maybe this is why you guys can't keep good workers, stop over working the employees and fix the schedules people should not have to work 11-12 shifts 5-6 days a week! Another bites the dust

Sincerely

A true hard worker

"Horrible district manager"

I worked at EZCORP full-time

Pros

Good pay fun place to work

Cons

The district manager will fire you with no reason

Advice to Management

Y'all suck

"Headquarters Life is Brutal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a discount in their Pawn Shops. There is a food truck that comes 3x a week.

Cons

- They do not believe in professional development.
    - I have never seen office politics so brutal and without rhyme or reason.
    - You are always afraid of when the next round of layoffs and restructuring will come. (Since last October, there have been 3 restructures and just as many layoffs)
    - Senior leadership will throw literal tantrums. On multiple occasions, I have seen them screaming at other coworkers and throwing papers off of desks.

Advice to Management

This is why your turn over is so high. Fix the culture; fix the turn over.

"Avoid like the plague"

I worked at EZCORP full-time

Pros

There are no Pros for this Company

Cons

If you are over forty in this Company you are a dead person walking. They will lay you off at some point. Clueless vicious management

"You can do better..."

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Austin, TX

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work at the corporate headquarters. I think working in the stores is probably a better experience. At least I hope so.

- My coworkers are awesome people. There are actually a lot of amazing people that work here.
    - Soda machine that only costs a quarter
    - Base salary is reasonable

Cons

- We only get 6 holidays a year
    - No bonus plan unless you are director level or above
    - Benefits are lame; I just took my kid to the dentist for a routine checkup, cost me $110 out of pocket
    - Weak leadership, especially in HR. They prefer to find a lower level person to blame rather than stepping up and solving the root cause of problems.
    - They have no clue how to motivate and develop a workforce.
    - For a company this size, it is absurd how many layoffs and firings take place. I don't think I have seen a month go by when someone did not get canned or laid off.
    - I dread going to work each day. I am looking to get out ASAP

Advice to Management

Can the CEO and he chief HR officer. Find some Americans that care about the business and the people. This company has tremendous potential if it had the right leadership team.

"War torn culture leads to defensive management"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Austin, TX

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is generous, inflated by about one organizational level. Hours are good. If you work 8:30 to 5:45 then you can be considered a hard worker.

Cons

Over the last five years the company has almost had more CEO’s and Chairman then you can count on 10 fingers. Each change brings waves of layoffs. These power shifts have created a culture of bunker warfare. Each time an executive gains a bit of power they inflict as much damage as possible by terminating their opponent’s allies. You can feel the next wave is coming as the old pawn guard gains power and prepares to unleash it on its Aussie guard rivals. It won’t end there since the old pawn guard will retire and endless waves of changes will ensue. Crafty middle managers have survived by loading their legions with incompetent staff to ensure their own survival.

Checked-out hierarchical management is living the dream. Highest comp in the city and based on their public Outlook calendars they don’t spend a lot of time focused on work. Protecting the executive parking garage ranks much higher than keeping direct reports accountable. For example, with open cubicles, it’s obvious when they shop on Amazon all day or haven’t spoken to a single direct report for 8 months. A leaky organization lets everyone know what chartered flights, parties, chauffeurs, and surgery gets reimbursed.

Advice to Management

Keep your resume's updated and contacts fresh. Nobody can hold on to this train-wreck very long.

"Worst company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teamwork within stores and even districts is a pro. As with any company, you will find more good people and good managers than not.

Cons

I was recruited to work for this company. After being promoted once and now demoted forcefully through a company wide change, I am forced to choose: leave this company or lose my car. Due to the complete lack of development, training programs or any support from the district, regional or corporate management, the choice is clear. For candidates who desire development or a position with a future, this is not the company for you. I would advise anyone considering a job with this company to keep looking, there are better options out there.

Advice to Management

Take steps to improve the financial standing of the company that do not include eliminating key members of the store staff, forced working on holidays (when stores are dead) and pushing micro-management programs that will not make money. Get back to basics of pawnbroking and taking care of the customer as well as the team.

"Horrible corporate culture"

I worked at EZCORP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have food trucks come twice a week. The office is also conveniently located right off of Mopac, near downtown and Zilker Park.

Cons

People generally do not enjoy working in the corporate office. When you walk around the office, the mood is very somber and people are not typically smiling. There's also a gross lack of process which results in people making business decisions that may benefit themselves but not benefit the greater good of the company. With recent changes in leadership, I am delighted to know longer work for this organization.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at EZCORP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun fast pace business

Cons

insane hours for pay, insane corporate structure, no paid holidays if on salary

Advice to Management

Look at how you treat your employees.

"Regional Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Director
    Former Employee - Regional Director

I worked at EZCORP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Initially was a great company for internal opportunities.

Cons

Senior management changed and culture became very negative.

Advice to Management

Always ensure senior management has the ability to uphold a good culture.