EZCORP Reviews | Glassdoor

EZCORP Reviews

Updated August 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great learning experience & great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits, reasonable pay, Sundays off (in 7 reviews)

Cons

1. "The Pawn Shop Industry is Very Unique"

Former Employee - Pawn Broker in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Pawn Broker in Dallas, TX

I worked at EZCORP (Less than a year)

Pros

Very interesting daily interactions. Coworkers were usually pleasant, and there was always something to do. It was an opportunity to handle items one might not otherwise encounter in regular day-to-day living.

Cons

Although my bosses loved me, I was not very good at this job. This is a fast-paced industry, and it is very unique. Not only are pawn brokers responsible for correctly appraising items, they have to know how to sell as well. The biggest difficulty in requiring pawn brokers to also be excellent sales people is that their price-point is often the same, if not higher, than traditional retail stores. Pawn brokers have very little room to negotiate, and when customers can buy new products for the same price, the choice is clear. It is also an industry that breeds dishonesty, for whatever reason. My first week there, I was told by my store manager that this was a "dirty industry...it's grimey". There is even a snitch program, where the company offers money to people if they turn in coworkers and successfully prosecute them. Several times during my six months employees were fired or disappeared because they stole from the store.

2. "Area Manager"

I worked at EZCORP full-time

Pros

Supervisor is class act
    Co-workers are competitive
    Built good relationships with corporate office

Cons

Upper execs are still living in the past
    Very high stress
    Expectations are inconsistent
    Most employees live in fear of their job security

Advice to Management

Don't work here unless you're young, single, and want to take 15 years off your life

"No Advancement No future"

Current Employee - IT in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT in Austin, TX

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free to handle issues as you see fit. If it works, than it works.
    -While at help desk, no worries of being laid off, the company thrives in a recession.
    -Free parking for events at Zilker Park.
    -Great food locations nearby. Including food trucks every wednesday and friday.

Cons

-Very low morale. They pay their techs less than average and give them the workload of a tier 3 at another job that would normally pay double.
    -No positive feedback from management unless you force it out of them
    -Now matter how hard you work, you are ''just doing as expected''. If there is an open position above you that you are striving for, forget it. They will hire someone from outside the company to do your job, better. Which they do not.
    -If you look to the future, go work elsewhere, you will stagnate here.
    -District managers need better training as they foist their job responsibilities onto you.

Advice to Management

At least have the decency to tell your hardworking employees that they are doing a good job. They feel discouraged and not working toward a better goal. They only care about not being fired.

"You can do better..."

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Austin, TX

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work at the corporate headquarters. I think working in the stores is probably a better experience. At least I hope so.

- My coworkers are awesome people. There are actually a lot of amazing people that work here.
    - Soda machine that only costs a quarter
    - Base salary is reasonable

Cons

- We only get 6 holidays a year
    - No bonus plan unless you are director level or above
    - Benefits are lame; I just took my kid to the dentist for a routine checkup, cost me $110 out of pocket
    - Weak leadership, especially in HR. They prefer to find a lower level person to blame rather than stepping up and solving the root cause of problems.
    - They have no clue how to motivate and develop a workforce.
    - For a company this size, it is absurd how many layoffs and firings take place. I don't think I have seen a month go by when someone did not get canned or laid off.
    - I dread going to work each day. I am looking to get out ASAP

Advice to Management

Can the CEO and he chief HR officer. Find some Americans that care about the business and the people. This company has tremendous potential if it had the right leadership team.

"Stressed"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orange, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orange, TX

I worked at EZCORP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, if not salary, and Sundays off

Cons

Overworked,under staffed, and not family oriented

Advice to Management

Start taking care of the people who want to be there, and stop hiring people at higher than entry level who have no idea about pawn. Re-evaluate the amount of employees per store. The training needs to be consistent and presented properly.

"War torn culture leads to defensive management"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Austin, TX

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is generous, inflated by about one organizational level. Hours are good. If you work 8:30 to 5:45 then you can be considered a hard worker.

Cons

Over the last five years the company has almost had more CEO’s and Chairman then you can count on 10 fingers. Each change brings waves of layoffs. These power shifts have created a culture of bunker warfare. Each time an executive gains a bit of power they inflict as much damage as possible by terminating their opponent’s allies. You can feel the next wave is coming as the old pawn guard gains power and prepares to unleash it on its Aussie guard rivals. It won’t end there since the old pawn guard will retire and endless waves of changes will ensue. Crafty middle managers have survived by loading their legions with incompetent staff to ensure their own survival.

Checked-out hierarchical management is living the dream. Highest comp in the city and based on their public Outlook calendars they don’t spend a lot of time focused on work. Protecting the executive parking garage ranks much higher than keeping direct reports accountable. For example, with open cubicles, it’s obvious when they shop on Amazon all day or haven’t spoken to a single direct report for 8 months. A leaky organization lets everyone know what chartered flights, parties, chauffeurs, and surgery gets reimbursed.

Advice to Management

Keep your resume's updated and contacts fresh. Nobody can hold on to this train-wreck very long.

"Worst company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teamwork within stores and even districts is a pro. As with any company, you will find more good people and good managers than not.

Cons

I was recruited to work for this company. After being promoted once and now demoted forcefully through a company wide change, I am forced to choose: leave this company or lose my car. Due to the complete lack of development, training programs or any support from the district, regional or corporate management, the choice is clear. For candidates who desire development or a position with a future, this is not the company for you. I would advise anyone considering a job with this company to keep looking, there are better options out there.

Advice to Management

Take steps to improve the financial standing of the company that do not include eliminating key members of the store staff, forced working on holidays (when stores are dead) and pushing micro-management programs that will not make money. Get back to basics of pawnbroking and taking care of the customer as well as the team.

"Horrible corporate culture"

I worked at EZCORP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have food trucks come twice a week. The office is also conveniently located right off of Mopac, near downtown and Zilker Park.

Cons

People generally do not enjoy working in the corporate office. When you walk around the office, the mood is very somber and people are not typically smiling. There's also a gross lack of process which results in people making business decisions that may benefit themselves but not benefit the greater good of the company. With recent changes in leadership, I am delighted to know longer work for this organization.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at EZCORP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun fast pace business

Cons

insane hours for pay, insane corporate structure, no paid holidays if on salary

Advice to Management

Look at how you treat your employees.

10. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at EZCORP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits. Teamwork was also a positive.

Cons

Change in Leadership too often for progress