Eagle Creek Reviews in Pierre, SD | Glassdoor

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Eagle Creek President, CEO & Co-Founder Ken Behrendt
Ken Behrendt

Pros
  • If your a person with entry level experience, than the company is willing to train you with pay (in 4 reviews)

• Strong business model, focus on lucrative areas of IT, high redeployment rates (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • their offices are in the middle of nowhere and that really sucks if you like living in a larger city (in 6 reviews)

• they will assume you also know Javascript and will throw you on to a in progress project with little to no ramp up time (in 3 reviews)

"Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Consultant in Pierre, SD
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Consultant in Pierre, SD

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Give new college graduates an opportunity to get professional experience in different technologies for fortune 500 companies.

Cons

Requires you to work in a remote area of the country(South & North Dakota) and various employment contractual agreements.

Advice to Management

Do what ever is required to keep consultants satisfied with their work and compensation.

2. "Honest review"

Current Employee - CRM Consultant in Pierre, SD
    Current Employee - CRM Consultant in Pierre, SD

Pros

- If you are a fresh graduate this is a good entry level place to earn the experience needed to move on to a better job.
    -Very relaxed atmosphere, depending on the project you will have a fair amount of downtime daily.
    -You get what you put into it. If you want to get certifications in your downtime and they are beneficial to EC they will reimburse you for them.
    -Pay reflects actual work done. Honestly for the amount of work I do, the pay is on scale with the amount of effort I put in.
    -weekly center employee appreciation events. Cook outs, birthday celebrations, breakfasts something every Thursday.
    - Recognition, if you are the type that needs constant recognition from your peers you can get the monthly soaring eagle award and a $20 gift card. I've gotten 8 in a year.
    -has potential to jumpstart your career.

Cons

- their offices are in the middle of nowhere and that really sucks if you like living in a larger city. It's almost 4 hours to a major city.
    - starting pay is way less than the national average and it doesn't get much better.
    -Job insecurity. Project ends if you don't get on a new project or earn a certification or something you will get fired no matter how long you have been with them.
    -2 year contract for new hires. You are locked in a 2 year agreement so if you can't hack it for 2 years in South Dakota you shouldn't accept the job.
    - Next to no management direction given, I was told when I was being assigned to a project and I was given a suggestion of what to do between projects other than that the management gives no direction unless you ask,
    -Insurance sucks due to the minimum ratings for insurance thanks to the Affordable Healthcare Act the insurance really sucks.

Advice to Management

Put more effort in seeing what employee needs are.

"Shady"

Former Employee - Software Consultant in Pierre, SD

I worked at Eagle Creek (More than a year)

Pros

It pays US currency at least.

Cons

It doesn't pay nearly enough. Management has no idea what programming is or how to do it. Salesmen run the company into the ground on a daily basis. Their training was a scam that never happened. They think Drupal is an extension of Java ( the VP told my 'class' this).

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who knows how to run a software business, not a guy who is permanently herding cattle for fun.

"An unstable stepping stone"

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro that came from working at Eagle Creek is that I was able to gain "experience" to get my next job. So, thank you Eagle Creek.

Cons

I keep getting email notifications with new reviews for Eagle Creek. Well, they're spot on. It all starts with the management, and it's not that they don't know they're terrible people, it's that they do it on purpose. They line their pockets and they will continue for as long as possible. I'm baffled the company is still running. This is what they do: Once they have a contract, they will hire one or two experienced contractors that can do all the project work themselves, but then bill the company for like ten other people as well. Also another thing when I was there, they hired over twenty new employees only to lay them off a couple months later. You have absolutely no job security. So my recommendation is to stay far away.

Advice to Management

I'm sure your gluttonous business dealings will catch up with you soon.

"Ok place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Pierre, SD
    Current Employee - Consultant in Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek (More than a year)

Pros

They will hire people with little or no experience and train them. Good place to get experience in it but not to specialize.

Cons

Don't plan on being in a single technology for more than a month or two. You are always getting moved from project to project and have to learn something new every 2 or 3 months. You never get to specialize in a single field

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and don't rule by fear. Upper management is more feared than respected.

7. "Onshore Technology Firm"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Consultant in Pierre, SD
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Consultant in Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Eagle Creek works to bring technology management to the United States shores with their on shore technology centers.
    -Some consultants work from home, in special circumstances. The majority of employees work in a technology center around other consultants, giving the opportunity to work with consultants that have been in the industry for 10+ plus years.
    -The healthcare and disability insurance that comes with the job is on par.
    -Raises are given on performance, not time spent with the company. If you are brand new to the technology scene, but you know Java programming forward and backward, working on a Java programming project and rock everything you do you will see a nice raise at your yearly review. If you just skate by, do your work, but don't go above and beyond then you will see a decent raise, but it won't be as much if you don't put the work in to show that you deserve it.
    -If there is a technology that you are interested in, but didn't get much training, a training plan can be made with the company, and they have an upcoming project with the technology you have the ability to learn a new technology with this company.

Cons

-It is still a growing company. They have made strides in the past five years, but there with technology always changing, the sales teams and executives work to keep the new technologies coming in to the project center.
    -It can seem a little unstable at times as the company works to set up new technologies for consultant to work on.
    -If you're looking for a structured job working with only one technology (C# programming only or OBIEE consulting only) you won't like it here. Working with Eagle Creek you will need to be flexible in what technology you are going to work with on a project.
    -Depending on where you've lived your whole life certain technology centers can drive someone from a big city (50,000K+ population) insane with how small the towns are that the tech centers are in ( Pierre: 13,000K population, Valley City: 6,700K population, Vermillion: 10,000K population. Eden Prairie is on the edge of Minneapolis, MN so the population is 62,000K along with having more to offer with the Twin Cities right there).

Advice to Management

When gaining a new technology to what Eagle Creek is going to work with, do your research. Google and YouTube holds so many answers there is no need in this age of technology to be throwing the consultants in tailspins on certain projects because the sales team didn't know what they were selling, or because a business administrator didn't know what technology was being used to the project was undermanned.

"Bad Training. Worse Management."

Current Employee - Developer in Pierre, SD
    Current Employee - Developer in Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting position if you have a computer science degree and web development knowledge.

Cons

Training is a joke, hence the suggestion to already have a computer science degree or equal experience in web development or business intelligence. The training class was led by younger people with a lack of experience and zero planning or direction. They taught us very little of anything that we actually used on the job, like Java console programs. Basically a waste of time.

When actually put out on the floor we were put into a "shadow" position that varies between employees on a scale between worthless to sub-par at best as far as getting you ready for a project. Once on a project you were lucky to get something that was well planned and had a good staff put on it, and even then it was normally an organizational nightmare. Lack of planning from both client and management puts developers in very odd positions with inaccurate time forecasts, unrealistic workloads, and poor communication.

Management does not keep track of people very well except for how many billable hours your have or how much potential you have on getting billable hours in the near future. Even if you are highly skilled or dedicated as an employee they will lay you off to save the company money when times get slow on projects.

My advice is to, again, already have a computer science degree, and to also do A LOT of self study while on the job and constantly remind management of your progress, asking for any and all certification you can get from them, such as Salesforce, Java, etc.

Advice to Management

Offer better training that is planned out and focuses heavily on Web Development. The SQL training was great, but the Java training was useless because it didn't teach any web development ideas until the last week. What you should do is teach SQL and then in the Java class you should teach how to connect an SQL database to a Java based web project and create a website, focusing heavily on the MVC model and the AGILE project model. That stuff should be week 1-2 and remain the main focus for the entire training session.

Also, communication as a whole in the company needs work. Talk to your employees about projects, even if they are not solid yet, and create training classes for people on the bench to give them certifications for marketable softwares instead of relying on them to sit at their desks and do it themselves.

"Good job if you are looking for a start other than that is sucks!"

Former Employee - Consultant in Pierre, SD

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Pros to it is if you need a start in programming and don't mind being underpaid this is the place for you get the experience and run like a bat out of hell.

Cons

I was bored most of the time, because the job was too easy I was happy they let me go. I did not want to be there in the first place and was very happy to leave with the shirt on my back.

Advice to Management

Learn some people skills and some of you go back to school and learn how to program.

"Great Job and great company!"

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the Pierre Project Center for close to 3 years. I thought it was a great experience. The only reason I left was because of an ill family member. I relocated to Pierre from a similar size town in Iowa so I was used to the small town feel plus they gave me money towards relocating. The training was excellent and prepared me to move into the consulting role. Its good to see a company that as a solid career path for the consultants

Cons

The only downside would be that the project centers are usually in small towns in North and South Dakota, so that could be considered a con to some people that are used to larger cities.

"You get what you expect."

Former Employee - Applications Development Consultant in Pierre, SD
    Former Employee - Applications Development Consultant in Pierre, SD

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work culture is extremely lax, can get away with doing nothing most of the day. No real management to speak of.

Cons

Massive layoffs with no warning. Lack of any real career opportunities. Little to no management ability in any of the senior employees. Unqualified employees.

Advice to Management

Develop an actual career path for your employees. Don't have massive layoffs without warning.