Eagle Hill Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Melissa Jezior

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Work life balance and a fantastic team!"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Collaborative and supportive company culture
    - Room to grow and expand skills
    - Interesting projects and the chance to be creative
    - Access to leadership
    - Great people who make the day fly by
    - Professional development opportunities
    - Flexibility and an understanding of the importance of your personal life - actual work life balance!

Cons

The company has some very normal (and expected) growing pains. As we grow and expand, it's more important than ever to keep open lines of communication between all levels and not have too strong of a hierarchy. But truthfully, I don't have complaints about working here. It's a great place.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Particularly, continue to leverage the insight and experiences of associates, and keep up the focus on collaboration and work-life balance.

Jul 26, 2017 – President & CEO

Thank you for your review. You’re right about the great people at Eagle Hill, and I’m happy to have you as one of them. Thanks for being part of the team. Melissa Jezior, President & CEO

2. "Great people and fun place to work!"

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eagle Hill embodies their core values to a tee. The people who work here truly make this company a fun place to work and make it feel like a family. The work we do is meaningful and clients genuinely like to work with us. Eagle Hill also makes it a point to invest in it's people, which I genuinely appreciate.

Cons

As to be expected of any business that is growing at the rate that EHC is, there are growing pains. Although Eagle Hill is trying to work through these, leadership is still trying to determine the best processes and internal procedures (i.e. performance management, promotion process, transparency around pay, project satisfaction).

Advice to Management

The current promotion process puts undue angst and stress on those employees who are already working at the next level. The lack of transparency around the promotion process makes it intimidating and unfavorable amongst less senior employees. While I agree with Eagle Hill that employees should determine their career growth, path and readiness, I recommend determining promotion readiness based on past performance reviews and employee feedback rather than making the employee present this to senior leadership.

3. "Manager"

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at a big 4 and this is a better fit for me. There is a real work life balance if you set clear goals and expectations with your leadership. People here want to do good work, but they also want to have a life outside of work.
    I have also worked at a federal contracting company, that was at the opposite end of the spectrum and I think Eagle Hill strikes a great balance. You feel like part of a great organization, but it isn't all consuming.
    Minimal number of career levels mean that the organization really is flat. You're not restricted for participating or supporting activities based on your level.
     Leadership by and large trust us and empowers leaders. This means if you take charge of your career there are plenty of opportunities.
    They also hire good people, and Eagle Hill really does mold people to be more collaborative than competitive.

Cons

Federal consulting isn't always glamorous, and many new employees seem to believe that "unconventional consulting" means "the best job ever." The work is dictated by the clients and there is only so much management can do about that. The company does the best with the work it wins, but at the end of the day you may be supporting a unmotivated government bureaucrat.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in and grow strong leaders. Set high bars for who is put in a leadership position. Be open and honest with new hires about the work we do and the staffing process.

4. "Great people, needs better leadership in some areas"

I worked at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time

Pros

The people you work with are great. They are friendly and smart and very eager to learn. Being new to consulting, EHC really helped me develop as a young consultant. You immediately get the opportunity to work on BD, which Is great.

Cons

The project work isn't the most exciting or challenging. There is some staff aug work. Depending on which area of work you fall under you will either have exceptional leadership with senior directors who will get to know you and help you grow or be kind of left on your own. It is kind of luck of the draw. Also - like many companies on GlassDoor, some of their marketing employees write reviews on here to help the rating.

Advice to Management

Grow your people. EHC has some rock stars but if they aren't challenged or mentored with the right leadership, they may leave.

"narrow view of "good fit" translates to cliquish company"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time

Pros

good billing and contract management oversight, ambition to continually growing the firm, outstanding (though misleading IMHO) marketing

Cons

Leadership is a clique, sometimes surprisingly petty; they do not have effective communication skills (low EQ) outside people who are like them or enthusiastically admire them. It's more important to be liked and noticed by the right people for internal initiatives than for good client work, especially if leadership thinks little of the client or feels the work is beneath them. There's a lot of competitive boasting among the staff--I heard a lot about study abroad, prestigious sounding internships, name dropping vacations, etc., even at the government client site, which means the clients experienced it, too. It ends up reinforcing the "we're better than this" reputation for EH.

Advice to Management

Diversify the hiring practices to focus more on people who are not only competent but collaborative. Top grading leads to a very narrow group of people who are "on paper high achievers" but don't know how to work with people outside their comfort zone (again, low to no EQ). That comes across as condescending sometimes but more importantly stops Eagle Hill staff from communicating with clients to understand what they need and what makes them tick instead of delivering what Eagle Hill thinks they need based on little meaningful interaction.

Jan 11, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear this was your experience.

We work hard to make Eagle Hill a great place to work. In fact, results from our 2017 Employee Satisfaction Survey found... More

6. "Wonderful, honest, hardworking people"

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at Eagle Hill. Our leadership is approachable, honest and transparent. The client work is challenging and interesting. My project has a great balance between high caliber work and a very measured balanced approach, so it never felt like an out of control workload. That said we delivered an awesome product for a client who has worked with many consultants. He was impressed and I learned a ton. Ideal work for me.

Cons

There are issues, like any company has, but for me the cons are far outweighed by the opportunity given to change things that we disagree with.

Advice to Management

Consider taking a networked approach to some strategic decisions. Many minds equal many perspectives and there are lot of smart minds at the firm that have insights on issues we and industry are facing. A structure to collect and feed those insights up the chain could be beneficial for all.

Jan 11, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Eagle Hill truly values collaboration. Many of our initiatives are driven by our employees and we like to engage while driving home a solution... More

"Manager"

I worked at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you don't mind working with government clients. Good work/life balance. No travel. Some of the work is staff aug. Really bright people.

Cons

Not the most exciting work at times. Long contracts. It can be difficult at times to identify what you are delivering long term.

Jan 11, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are committed to making sure our employees are developing their skills and engaged throughout their projects while remaining a Best Place to... More

"Life at EHC"

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are interested in consulting, this is one of the best places to work. It's a rigorous hiring process (top grading system) which allows only the best candidates to make it through. This means my coworkers are motivated, hardworking, and are the people you actually want to spend time with in the office and even outside of work. Majority of projects are interesting and everyone plays a part in business development. Actually, everyone plays a part in almost everything since it's a small company it has an entrepreneur/ start up type vibe (without the risks of being a true start up!). If you want to help with recruiting, on boarding, wellness, business analytics or anything else on top of your client work there are ample opportunities. I will say, you need to be proactive and drive your own career. All the resources and opportunities are there for you, but if you are not a motivated person this is likely not the place for you to thrive. Personally, I wish I had started here sooner!

Cons

Most of the time, when hired, you will not know your client in advance. This means you may not start off at the ideal site (maybe its a long commute), but this is not an EHC issue, this is just part of consulting.

Advice to Management

Keep being accessible! It's one of my favorite benefits of being part of a small firm.

Oct 5, 2017 – President & CEO

Thank you for your review. We are committed to staying a Best Place to Work and are glad that is your experience. Thanks for being part of the team. Melissa Jezior, President and CEO

"A surface faced friendly company where collaboration is encouraged but the real deal it's the Jack and Melissa show."

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a thorough vetting process but seems more check the boxes than value add. They call the process Top Grading but it is intrusive and literally checking boxes - what did you do in high school sort of nonsense

Cons

Collaboration equals paralysis. Unsure who really runs the company - is it by committee? By Melissa? Or Jack? I got a lot of giggles when asked what Jack's role was. At end felt like daddy ran the company

Advice to Management

Be a company not a family owned business

"Not what they seem."

I worked at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time

Pros

Bright, energetic colleagues. Convenient office location . Many sponsored events outside of work (e.g. baseball tickets, happy hours, book club, etc.)

Cons

Leadership does not value its employees by staffing them in projects that are simplistic and low level. Very little effort is made to match employees' skills and career goals with the work they are asked to do. Leadership is close-minded and does not foster a culture of support and communication. EHC is a company that has perfected their marketing but falls short of achieving what they say they are. "Unconventional" is a meaningless tagline.

Advice to Management

Listen to and value your employees. They are your best asset.

Oct 5, 2017 – President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. We have been working to improve staffing with the goal of providing different roles and opportunities for career development. Our process enables... More