Eagle Hill Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

"Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Crystal City, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Crystal City, VA

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part of EHC is the people. They are motivated, intelligent, helpful, and kind. Coming from a larger consulting firm, there was a major focus on billable hours at the expense of work-life balance and professional development. Although billable hours are important at any consulting firm, the focus at EHC is on the impact of your work, not just the hours you put in, and they try their best to place you on a project that you will be happy with. I would describe our workplace as fun (always some company wide event going on), our workload as balanced (although this certainly will fluctuate on your project and role, but they try their best and care about your well being), and there is a lot of opportunity for growth in your career. If you want to move upwards, there is a clear path and clear steps. If you don't want to and you are happy where you are, that's okay too. I couldn't ask for a better company to work for!

Cons

The majority of the work is local, so expenses to/from the client are not covered in this case. However, they are covered if you have to travel to more than one location in one day (including the EHC office). This is only a con for the clients that are further away from the EHC office.
    Pay and bonuses are lower than most larger firms, but healthcare is covered for you and your family which makes a huge difference. They do re-access and readjust yearly to try to keep their compensation and benefits package competitive.

Advice to Management

Hold tight to the small firm values as we grow :)

Apr 25, 2018 – Talent Management

Thank you for the review. It’s great to hear how much you enjoy working at Eagle Hill and that you see our core values playing out in your interactions with colleagues and your work. If you’d like to... More

2. "Unconventional Consulting Firm Attracts the Best and the Brightest"

Current Employee - Director in Crystal City, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Crystal City, VA

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented people (many with advanced degrees and/or from the Big 4 firms), Innovative and impactful work, Fun and collaborative culture, Family first and work-life balance

I’ve been at Eagle Hill for a little over a year now after working for several prestigious mid to large-size consulting firms. I continue to be impressed by the caliber of our people -- Eagle Hill employees really stand out from the sea of management consultants. The firm adheres to a topgrading recruitment process which enables us to attract the best and brightest consultants while maintaining our collaborative culture. Furthermore, our people get to do fulfilling work that makes a difference for their clients and in their communities. I recommend Eagle Hill to anyone who is interested in working for a topnotch management consulting firm that values their people and their clients, and enjoys a fun and collaborative work environment.

Cons

Boutique firm but growing quickly

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having worked at a Big 4 firm and a smaller consulting firm, as well, I feel incredibly fortunate to have landed at Eagle Hill. Been here for a couple of years now and while consulting (and client service) has its challenges regardless of the firm, Eagle Hill is a place where I’ve found both career and professional growth and support for my life outside of work. Some things that stand out:

- Fantastic, talented people who are collaborative and supportive of each other
    - Leaders who are deeply invested in continuously evolving and improving the firm
    - Work / life balance is supported (though it varies from project to project - a reality at any firm)
    - Interesting work
    - Full coverage of health insurance

Cons

Eagle Hill hires a lot of people who are new to consulting, some pretty junior, and who have differing expectations of what client service entails. Some folks come on board and despite being three or four years out of undergrad expect they’ll be consulting to the c-suite, leading complex “strategic” projects, and doing all of this within a 40 hour work week. That’s not realistic - for any firm, any where.

Also, like any firm in both federal and commercial, Eagle Hill has some projects that fall into the “strategic” category and some that may be more transactional or staff augmentation. That’s true for the “Bigs” too, but many people at Eagle Hill have no reference points.

Work life balance here is exceptionally good, but not every work week is going to neatly fit into 40 hours. But at the same time, I’ve never worked under the intensity and grind if my Big 4 days at Eagle Hill and no one here has ever made me feel badly about taking time off. Ever. But again, a lot of junior employees come here without any reference points.

In short, the firm needs to do a much better job of expectation setting and onboarding. A lot of the other posts suggest that people were disappointed in part because they had differing expectations and have very little context or experience in consulting to draw from. There is no “perfect” job and trade offs are inherent in any role.

Additionally, staffing the right people to the right projects is critical. Sometimes we need people with specific skill sets and experience and we don’t always achieve that. That creates a lot of pressure on delivery teams and undermines our success.

Advice to Management

Be clear with prospective and new employees that yes, Eagle Hill is a great place to work but it’s consulting and inherent in consulting are the realities of client service. Also, set expectations about the types of projects and that work life balance exists. Lastly, hire smart, awesome people with experience in consulting. Not sure that the teacher/atypical professional backgrounds serve the firm or clients well.

4. "Great people, interesting work, rewarding experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Actually teaches and develops its employees, lots of internal hiring and promotions; something very rare these days. Everyone feels like a part of a family and a part of the team; very cooperative, less cutthroat and competitive. The company really pushes you out of your comfort zone to become better at your job and to set high goals for yourself, then follows through by opening opportunities up for career advancement. Lots of ways to have fun and get involved. You really feel like you're part of something.

Cons

The office in Crystal City...
    The commute and travel can be a bit of a burden if you get put on a some specific accounts

Advice to Management

With a lot of work in the federal government, make 'public service' a cornerstone with greater visibility and publicity!

5. "Just started and lovign it!"

Current Employee - Management Consultant Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Consultant Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Thorough interview process so when you join they p-lace you in projects based on your skills
    - Transparency
    - Very welcoming culture and amazing people
    - They pay for health insurance fully!! (very rare)
    - Nitro coffee, stocked kitchen, great amenities
    - A great variety of engagement groups and activities so you can meet people throughout the organization - you won't just be comfortable with your project team

Cons

- The tandem interview process can be quite intimidating. You have to complete a very extensive application which dates back to your high school experiences.
    - PTO is only 20 days a year (including sick and vacation)

Advice to Management

Keep engaging

Apr 25, 2018 – Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback! We’re happy you feel welcomed and part of the EHC team. If there’s more you’d like to share, we’d love to hear it: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FeedbackEHC

6. "What an enjoyable place to work"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Eagle Hill Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Care equally about employees and clients
    There REALLY is work life balance -- especially for working moms
    Office environment is hype and comfortable
    Community service, team outings -- but no pressure to participate

Cons

Smaller company -- which is both pro and con

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing -- pleasant work environment w/ clear work expectations.

Apr 25, 2018 – Talent Management

Thank you for the review! And good luck in your next venture. If there’s more you’d like to share, we’d love to hear it: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FeedbackEHC

7. "EHC motivates me"

Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is outstanding! I see a lot of reviews on here suggesting otherwise, which I think comes down to some employees interpreting work-life balance as working 40 hours a week, without taking on a role in growing the company, and still being on the fast track to promotion. That's not the case. Here, work-life balance boils down to flexibility – to set your schedule, work remotely, prioritize family, take PTO, determine your career trajectory, and work with your team to determine what that balance looks like. While there are a ton of fun activities and great people, the reality is that this is a job. I'm being paid to perform -- to perform well. The company provides me the environment, support, and acknowledgement that motivate me to do so. It's really wonderful.

My previous company didn’t prioritize growing their business and as a result there wasn’t a role for me to grow in to. Because EHC is actively growing so too are my career options.

Cons

Expectations can shift from project to project and client to client, but that’s the reality of consulting. While clients come first, employees are right at the forefront too.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, continue the focus on collaboration and delivering great work for clients.

Apr 25, 2018 – Talent Management

Thanks for the review! And for being part of the team. If there’s more you’d like to share, please consider doing so here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FeedbackEHC.

"Subpar Consulting Firm"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are truly Eagle Hill's best quality. 90% of projects are staff augmentation which equates to great work-life balance. About 1/2 of Senior Leadership are true leaders and take the time to get to know you. If you're coming from a non-profit background, this will be a good opportunity for you to get a taste of what its like to be a consultant in an encouraging environment.

Cons

If you ask most of the employees, they're aware the firm is losing its best people. Part of this is due to a competitive market (Deloitte, Accenture, Slalom, etc). The other part is lack of learning and growth. Eagle Hill is a very niche consulting firm and is struggling to prove it can outperform its competitors. The next year will be very difficult due to lack of growth and limited clients. Turnover is really starting to gain momentum and the firm underpays most of its staff. In particular it takes advantage of its Associates by making them wait multiple years for a significant promotion. Once promoted your salary wont move that much either, my advice is know your worth and fight for a fair salary in the negotiation process. My largest piece of advice, join a bigger firm where there is good work life balance. They do exist; good luck on your job search.

Advice to Management

Honestly, you are doing the best job you can do and for a firm your size in the market you're in. I think some new leadership with a strong vision and significantly more background in commercial markets would really aid the mix.

Apr 25, 2018 – Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback. It is an incredibly competitive market and we’re fortunate that our turnover remains well below industry average. Our goal is to have our best employees not only stay... More

"Associate"

Pros

Decent experience but varies from projects and personalities of upper mgmt. No out of pocket healthcare expenses from salary.

Cons

Can sometimes portray illusions of work life balance because that is what management wants but reality varies for projects. You can be expected to work 70-80 hrs a week but its not okay to advertise that. Lower than industry average for compensation despite claims of conducting marketing research for benchmark. Company gets upset when colleagues are transparent with salary among themselves.

Advice to Management

Better transparency and honesty

Apr 25, 2018 – Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback. I want to address your comment, “You can be expected to work 70-80 hrs a week but it’s not okay to advertise that.” This isn’t okay. Employees routinely working long... More

10. "Great people and fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eagle Hill embodies their core values to a tee. The people who work here truly make this company a fun place to work and make it feel like a family. The work we do is meaningful and clients genuinely like to work with us. Eagle Hill also makes it a point to invest in it's people, which I genuinely appreciate.

Cons

As to be expected of any business that is growing at the rate that EHC is, there are growing pains. Although Eagle Hill is trying to work through these, leadership is still trying to determine the best processes and internal procedures (i.e. performance management, promotion process, transparency around pay, project satisfaction).

Advice to Management

The current promotion process puts undue angst and stress on those employees who are already working at the next level. The lack of transparency around the promotion process makes it intimidating and unfavorable amongst less senior employees. While I agree with Eagle Hill that employees should determine their career growth, path and readiness, I recommend determining promotion readiness based on past performance reviews and employee feedback rather than making the employee present this to senior leadership.

Jan 25, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad your experience at Eagle Hill has been a positive one. We believe that our core values and our people continue to make us a Best Place to... More