Eagle Hill Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Melissa Jezior

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Work life balance and a fantastic team!"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Collaborative and supportive company culture
    - Room to grow and expand skills
    - Interesting projects and the chance to be creative
    - Access to leadership
    - Great people who make the day fly by
    - Professional development opportunities
    - Flexibility and an understanding of the importance of your personal life - actual work life balance!

Cons

The company has some very normal (and expected) growing pains. As we grow and expand, it's more important than ever to keep open lines of communication between all levels and not have too strong of a hierarchy. But truthfully, I don't have complaints about working here. It's a great place.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Particularly, continue to leverage the insight and experiences of associates, and keep up the focus on collaboration and work-life balance.

Jul 26, 2017 – President & CEO

Thank you for your review. You’re right about the great people at Eagle Hill, and I’m happy to have you as one of them. Thanks for being part of the team. Melissa Jezior, President & CEO

2. "Just started and lovign it!"

Current Employee - Management Consultant Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Consultant Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Thorough interview process so when you join they p-lace you in projects based on your skills
    - Transparency
    - Very welcoming culture and amazing people
    - They pay for health insurance fully!! (very rare)
    - Nitro coffee, stocked kitchen, great amenities
    - A great variety of engagement groups and activities so you can meet people throughout the organization - you won't just be comfortable with your project team

Cons

- The tandem interview process can be quite intimidating. You have to complete a very extensive application which dates back to your high school experiences.
    - PTO is only 20 days a year (including sick and vacation)

Advice to Management

Keep engaging

3. "What an enjoyable place to work"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Eagle Hill Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Care equally about employees and clients
    There REALLY is work life balance -- especially for working moms
    Office environment is hype and comfortable
    Community service, team outings -- but no pressure to participate

Cons

Smaller company -- which is both pro and con

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing -- pleasant work environment w/ clear work expectations.

4. "EHC motivates me"

Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is outstanding! I see a lot of reviews on here suggesting otherwise, which I think comes down to some employees interpreting work-life balance as working 40 hours a week, without taking on a role in growing the company, and still being on the fast track to promotion. That's not the case. Here, work-life balance boils down to flexibility – to set your schedule, work remotely, prioritize family, take PTO, determine your career trajectory, and work with your team to determine what that balance looks like. While there are a ton of fun activities and great people, the reality is that this is a job. I'm being paid to perform -- to perform well. The company provides me the environment, support, and acknowledgement that motivate me to do so. It's really wonderful.

My previous company didn’t prioritize growing their business and as a result there wasn’t a role for me to grow in to. Because EHC is actively growing so too are my career options.

Cons

Expectations can shift from project to project and client to client, but that’s the reality of consulting. While clients come first, employees are right at the forefront too.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, continue the focus on collaboration and delivering great work for clients.

5. "Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Crystal City, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Crystal City, VA

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part of EHC is the people. They are motivated, intelligent, helpful, and kind. Coming from a larger consulting firm, there was a major focus on billable hours at the expense of work-life balance and professional development. Although billable hours are important at any consulting firm, the focus at EHC is on the impact of your work, not just the hours you put in, and they try their best to place you on a project that you will be happy with. I would describe our workplace as fun (always some company wide event going on), our workload as balanced (although this certainly will fluctuate on your project and role, but they try their best and care about your well being), and there is a lot of opportunity for growth in your career. If you want to move upwards, there is a clear path and clear steps. If you don't want to and you are happy where you are, that's okay too. I couldn't ask for a better company to work for!

Cons

The majority of the work is local, so expenses to/from the client are not covered in this case. However, they are covered if you have to travel to more than one location in one day (including the EHC office). This is only a con for the clients that are further away from the EHC office.
    Pay and bonuses are lower than most larger firms, but healthcare is covered for you and your family which makes a huge difference. They do re-access and readjust yearly to try to keep their compensation and benefits package competitive.

Advice to Management

Hold tight to the small firm values as we grow :)

"Not what I expected."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commercial work with interesting clients
    A lot of company activities opportunities to make friends
    Good location in Crystal City

Cons

Poor culture, most of the happiness seems fakes, a lot of people are not happy with their projects and the executive leadership
    Our thought leadership does not align with how we operate day-to-day, a lot of the articles we post on LinkedIn are about culture, good leadership, feedback, recruiting the right candidates but it doesn't seems to me we take our own medicine
    Very poor internal communication about company changes, how to communicate concerns internally, and where our company is headed
    I don't know if I will stay here long, seems like a good place for 2 or 3 years then you plateau
    I've seen an increase in turnover; seems like people are not happy and going to our competitors

Advice to Management

Take your own medicine. All of the articles and thought leadership you publish on LinkedIn you should also live day-to-day. I don't know much about the CEO but she doesn't seem very involved. Consider paying inline with the Big 4.

"Subpar Consulting Firm"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are truly Eagle Hill's best quality. 90% of projects are staff augmentation which equates to great work-life balance. About 1/2 of Senior Leadership are true leaders and take the time to get to know you. If you're coming from a non-profit background, this will be a good opportunity for you to get a taste of what its like to be a consultant in an encouraging environment.

Cons

If you ask most of the employees, they're aware the firm is losing its best people. Part of this is due to a competitive market (Deloitte, Accenture, Slalom, etc). The other part is lack of learning and growth. Eagle Hill is a very niche consulting firm and is struggling to prove it can outperform its competitors. The next year will be very difficult due to lack of growth and limited clients. Turnover is really starting to gain momentum and the firm underpays most of its staff. In particular it takes advantage of its Associates by making them wait multiple years for a significant promotion. Once promoted your salary wont move that much either, my advice is know your worth and fight for a fair salary in the negotiation process. My largest piece of advice, join a bigger firm where there is good work life balance. They do exist; good luck on your job search.

Advice to Management

Honestly, you are doing the best job you can do and for a firm your size in the market you're in. I think some new leadership with a strong vision and significantly more background in commercial markets would really aid the mix.

"Associate"

Pros

Decent experience but varies from projects and personalities of upper mgmt. No out of pocket healthcare expenses from salary.

Cons

Can sometimes portray illusions of work life balance because that is what management wants but reality varies for projects. You can be expected to work 70-80 hrs a week but its not okay to advertise that. Lower than industry average for compensation despite claims of conducting marketing research for benchmark. Company gets upset when colleagues are transparent with salary among themselves.

Advice to Management

Better transparency and honesty

9. "Great people and fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eagle Hill embodies their core values to a tee. The people who work here truly make this company a fun place to work and make it feel like a family. The work we do is meaningful and clients genuinely like to work with us. Eagle Hill also makes it a point to invest in it's people, which I genuinely appreciate.

Cons

As to be expected of any business that is growing at the rate that EHC is, there are growing pains. Although Eagle Hill is trying to work through these, leadership is still trying to determine the best processes and internal procedures (i.e. performance management, promotion process, transparency around pay, project satisfaction).

Advice to Management

The current promotion process puts undue angst and stress on those employees who are already working at the next level. The lack of transparency around the promotion process makes it intimidating and unfavorable amongst less senior employees. While I agree with Eagle Hill that employees should determine their career growth, path and readiness, I recommend determining promotion readiness based on past performance reviews and employee feedback rather than making the employee present this to senior leadership.

Jan 25, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad your experience at Eagle Hill has been a positive one. We believe that our core values and our people continue to make us a Best Place to... More

"Manager"

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at a big 4 and this is a better fit for me. There is a real work life balance if you set clear goals and expectations with your leadership. People here want to do good work, but they also want to have a life outside of work.
    I have also worked at a federal contracting company, that was at the opposite end of the spectrum and I think Eagle Hill strikes a great balance. You feel like part of a great organization, but it isn't all consuming.
    Minimal number of career levels mean that the organization really is flat. You're not restricted for participating or supporting activities based on your level.
     Leadership by and large trust us and empowers leaders. This means if you take charge of your career there are plenty of opportunities.
    They also hire good people, and Eagle Hill really does mold people to be more collaborative than competitive.

Cons

Federal consulting isn't always glamorous, and many new employees seem to believe that "unconventional consulting" means "the best job ever." The work is dictated by the clients and there is only so much management can do about that. The company does the best with the work it wins, but at the end of the day you may be supporting a unmotivated government bureaucrat.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in and grow strong leaders. Set high bars for who is put in a leadership position. Be open and honest with new hires about the work we do and the staffing process.

Jan 25, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We are committed to being a best place to work. Part of what that means for us is making sure our employees are developing their skills... More