Eagle Hill Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Work life balance and a fantastic team!"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Collaborative and supportive company culture
    - Room to grow and expand skills
    - Interesting projects and the chance to be creative
    - Access to leadership
    - Great people who make the day fly by
    - Professional development opportunities
    - Flexibility and an understanding of the importance of your personal life - actual work life balance!

Cons

The company has some very normal (and expected) growing pains. As we grow and expand, it's more important than ever to keep open lines of communication between all levels and not have too strong of a hierarchy. But truthfully, I don't have complaints about working here. It's a great place.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Particularly, continue to leverage the insight and experiences of associates, and keep up the focus on collaboration and work-life balance.

Jul 26, 2017 – President & CEO

Thank you for your review. You’re right about the great people at Eagle Hill, and I’m happy to have you as one of them. Thanks for being part of the team. Melissa Jezior, President & CEO

2. "Life at EHC"

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are interested in consulting, this is one of the best places to work. It's a rigorous hiring process (top grading system) which allows only the best candidates to make it through. This means my coworkers are motivated, hardworking, and are the people you actually want to spend time with in the office and even outside of work. Majority of projects are interesting and everyone plays a part in business development. Actually, everyone plays a part in almost everything since it's a small company it has an entrepreneur/ start up type vibe (without the risks of being a true start up!). If you want to help with recruiting, on boarding, wellness, business analytics or anything else on top of your client work there are ample opportunities. I will say, you need to be proactive and drive your own career. All the resources and opportunities are there for you, but if you are not a motivated person this is likely not the place for you to thrive. Personally, I wish I had started here sooner!

Cons

Most of the time, when hired, you will not know your client in advance. This means you may not start off at the ideal site (maybe its a long commute), but this is not an EHC issue, this is just part of consulting.

Advice to Management

Keep being accessible! It's one of my favorite benefits of being part of a small firm.

"A surface faced friendly company where collaboration is encouraged but the real deal it's the Jack and Melissa show."

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a thorough vetting process but seems more check the boxes than value add. They call the process Top Grading but it is intrusive and literally checking boxes - what did you do in high school sort of nonsense

Cons

Collaboration equals paralysis. Unsure who really runs the company - is it by committee? By Melissa? Or Jack? I got a lot of giggles when asked what Jack's role was. At end felt like daddy ran the company

Advice to Management

Be a company not a family owned business

"Not what they seem."

I worked at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time

Pros

Bright, energetic colleagues. Convenient office location . Many sponsored events outside of work (e.g. baseball tickets, happy hours, book club, etc.)

Cons

Leadership does not value its employees by staffing them in projects that are simplistic and low level. Very little effort is made to match employees' skills and career goals with the work they are asked to do. Leadership is close-minded and does not foster a culture of support and communication. EHC is a company that has perfected their marketing but falls short of achieving what they say they are. "Unconventional" is a meaningless tagline.

Advice to Management

Listen to and value your employees. They are your best asset.

"The idea is nice - if you're not stuck on support contract guised as a consulting engagement."

Former Employee - Associate in Crystal City, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Crystal City, VA

I worked at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people and colleagues. The CEO seems genuine and I will say that the benefits were pretty good. If you get a good project you can have some schedule flexibility. I met some very nice and bright people in my time there too.

Cons

To call some of the work "consulting" is an exaggeration. I know people who have done some cool projects. However it's especially challenging if you're stuck on an account where you are expected to just pickup up the pieces for your client or sit at a front desk where you have little opportunity to really to diagnose problems, research recommendations, etc. I know some of the work truly is meaningful, and while some people are fine with taking on a project for a while that is less than ideal there doesn't ever seem to be an out for some others and changing processes and too many discussions without action can be even more disheartening. I know many people that are extremely qualified, educated, and experienced that should have been promoted a long time ago but are at the disadvantage of unrealistic account leadership and client work that is more day-to-day and ad hoc support. In fact some clients don't want you to do more than just sit back and do as you're told especially if you are cleared into a government client that has challenges getting and retaining people.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to rotate people off projects where it truly is mostly admin work and be realistic rather than trying to sell it as something else. Promote the people that deserve it even if they are buried into the clients you put them on. Know that some people have it much better than others and can more easily participate in EHC as a whole. Happy hours and coffee chats don't necessarily fix this, sometimes just feels like it's masking it even more.

Jul 26, 2017 – President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. We've been working to improve staffing with the goal of providing different roles and opportunities for career development. Our process... More

"Underappreciated and Oversold"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Eagle Hill hires very smart, talented, hard working, and dedicated people in the Associate and Manager roles; they are great and supportive colleagues. Also, the push for growth means that there is a lot of opportunity to fully entrench yourself if you want a fast, but hard-earned promotion.

Cons

Eagle Hill prefers a lack of transparency in order to limit the amount of feedback they receive. Feedback requires change that they do not want to make, due to level of effort, conflicting priorities, or because change limits their abilities to enact favoritism. They rely heavily on metrics and pad the tools to ensure the results meet their goals. Managers specifically have the most asked of them, which makes work-life balance less likely than at other levels. Managers are required to meet these high expectations without proper support (e.g. understaffed or under-guided), training (e.g., documented protocol or certifications), or tools (e.g., software or industry access), and are reprimanded if those expectations are not met, despite the company's/leadership's failure of support and guidance. Additionally, managers are rarely provided with rewards for meeting or exceeding expectations, despite overcoming the previously mentioned shortcomings.

Advice to Management

Eagle Hill should focus on increasing transparency with their employees. More focus should be placed on internal project pipeline status and content and less on internal marketing. Additionally, leadership should change their perspective from believing that negative employee feedback is simply complaining and instead that these are opportunities to enhance culture, engagement, and satisfaction. Leadership receives the areas for improvement and simply needs to act on the feedback instead of positioning and marketing it.

Jul 27, 2017 – President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We've worked hard to create a company where great people come together to support our clients and each other. I'm happy to hear that's been... More

"Not great"

I worked at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time

Pros

Generally speaking Eagle Hill hires smart, capable, fun employees who are collaborative and dedicated. As a small company there are a lot of opportunities to get involved in internal efforts and business development for people who are interested.

Cons

Leadership relies on a chosen few and for the rest, there is little one can do to affect a change in perception. Leadership routinely ignores serious and systemic issues and will shift blame to fit the popular perception to the detriment of fairness, professionalism, and reality. While there is a lack of accountability for quality of work or general measures of success for a chosen few, the rest are left to account for any perceived failures--large or small, just or unfounded. Inefficiency is not only incentivized but treated as a virtue. Generally speaking the work is low-level government contracting but the company's hubris does not allow for people to speak honestly about it. Instead, people overcomplicate simple tasks and use any opportunity to tear apart colleagues below them. It's not uncommon, for example, for managers to spend hours red-lining meeting minutes. The company swears by its flat structure but the hierarchy is more dominant, more enforced, and more arbitrary than in an organization with more career levels. Prior experience anywhere but in a large consulting firm is ignored, and consulting experience is overvalued to the extent that two people with the same skills and education will be treated as having vastly different career experience if one comes from Deloitte and one does not. It is a nonsensical mentality not unique to past experience valuation, but pervasive throughout the company--from promotions to staffing to business strategy.

Jun 27, 2017 – President & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed the people at Eagle Hill as much as I do. Your description of Eagle Hill is not at all what I envision for the firm! Truthfully, I felt like I was... More

"Lucky to have found Eagle Hill"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being part of this motivated, bright company has been a great experience. Eagle Hill really cares for their people, as exemplified by their investment in professional development (certification and skills programs, established mentor program that touches everyone in the organization); the benefits package (100% employer-paid insurance, salary bench marking); true emphasis on work/life balance (flexible schedules, monthly social gatherings); and commitment to building great teams (hiring for cultural fit). The company regularly solicits feedback from all employees and invests in solutions to noted areas for improvement. Management is friendly, down-to-earth & available – just reach out.

Cons

Not a con, but as a small organization, some support functions are still growing. That said, there are great volunteer teams and colleagues always available to help.

Advice to Management

Love it here!

Jun 27, 2017 – President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. It’s great to hear employees sharing how much they like working at Eagle Hill!

9. "New employee"

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time

Pros

It is a great place to work.

Cons

No cons as of now.

Jun 27, 2017 – President & CEO

Thank you for the review, It'd be great to hear about your first few months with Eagle Hill - I hope you'll stop by or we can grab a cup of coffee.

President & CEO

10. "As good as it gets in Federal Mgmt Consulting"

I have been working at Eagle Hill Consulting full-time

Pros

People are great, leadership is awesome, and the company culture is the real deal.

Cons

Some (I would say the minority) of the work that Eagle Hill takes on is less than exciting, but to be fair - this is the nature of much of federal contracting. It should be noted, the company recognizes this and has been acting to make all our work as engaging as possible and have recently made it easier to move projects once you have been at the firm a year.

Advice to Management

Keep demonstrating that you care - honestly that is the biggest asset.

Jan 18, 2017 – President & CEO

Thank you for the feedback and review. It’s great to hear that you enjoy being part of the team!