Eagle Ray Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Eagle Ray President and CEO Babs Doherty
Babs Doherty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Highly recommended Federal contracting company"

I worked at Eagle Ray full-time

Pros

Eagle Ray is an excellent mid-size Federal contracting company that truly values its employees. They provide opportunities for new career growth; provide program management and other professional training in addition to individual career development programs; provide competitive benefits and incentives for those who work to develop contracts and proposals. Overall, I'd recommend them to anyone.

Cons

I can't complain about my time at Eagle Ray. As long as you understand the life of a Federal contractor, you won't have any complaints either.

"Amazing leadership and team!"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiting Consultant in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiting Consultant in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Eagle Ray (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team of people working together for the better of the company, the employees, and the clients. GREAT COMPANY CULTURE!

Cons

None that I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on your employees and treating them with respect. You are one of a few companies that understands that their employees are NOT expendable and are an asset to your company, which is why you hired them. Great company culture!

"Good, Forward Thinking Small Firm"

I have been working at Eagle Ray full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management that is hungry to grow, but without sacrificing employee morale and benefits. Good diversity of opportunities and projects. Training is not too difficult to get without adequate justification.

Cons

It is hard to think of many. If anything, the cons that come with working at a smaller company. However, this company seems to have negated most of those.

Advice to Management

Current efforts to re-organize at the top make sense and seem to position the company well for future growth. Good job and keep up the good work.

4. "Employees need room to grow too"

Former Employee - Data Architect in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Data Architect in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Eagle Ray full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, caring and savvy program manager.

Cons

company unable to retain employees if IT contract not renewed each year, there's nowhere else to go

"Mixed review"

Pros

Honest company that keeps its ducks in a row. They conduct their business above board and genuinely want to work with clients and partners. The staff are capable and always stepping up to the plate for their work. Executives are sharp and very driven, aim for the bottom line, and want to work out solutions to problems with clients and partners alike. Set and maintain high bars for performance and client/partner satisfaction.

Cons

Inflexible and ridiculously dedicated/dependent on process and procedure. Everything must go "by the numbers" and any upset, change or miscommunication (minor or major alike) becomes a panicked storm of emails. Their heavy reliance on telecommuting makes it difficult and inefficient to get necessary individuals in the same room and manage issues/situations/problems. Executives maintain a tough and overly demanding "sink or swim" corporate culture regarding employees. Performance reviews are needlessly over developed and seem geared at getting employees to work even harder than they already are. Executives seem little or not concerned with protecting or helping develop employees and their performance.

Advice to Management

Reduce reliance on processes, procedures and "written in stone" mindset. Back office operations often require a level of flexibility that is not convenient or welcome in the company's overall culture. Show more consideration and commitment to employees, and/or be more pro-active about working with them to fix or resolve performance issues (perceived or real). Quit taking yourselves so seriously.

6. "Was interesting, many of the people were good to be with, but overall, glad I left"

I worked at Eagle Ray full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work was interesting. Free parking lot

Cons

Doesn't seem to be a lot of room to grow, if at all. Work culture clash can be unpleasant if there are "outsiders" on your team. Try to avoid taking route 66 if at all possible. Even 50 gets crowded at times

"Disappointing experience"

I worked at Eagle Ray (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any real "pros" working at this company.

Cons

As an employee I never interacted with the corporate office management. Only met the junior level HR assistants when hired. My direct manager was incompetent. Management does not seem to understand exactly what each individual's job is or the technical work that needs to be done by their employees. The only thing that anyone in this organization cares about is the corporate reputation. This organization relies heavy on gossip and office politics in making their decisions.

Advice to Management

Higher competent managers who understand their jobs.

"Most unprofessional management staff I have ever dealt with"

I have been working at Eagle Ray full-time

Pros

They do respect life/work balance

Cons

I have not dealt with one person at this firm who demonstrates an ounce of professionalism. They make their living by claims to be a small, impoverished women owned Federal contractor. Top management is far from impoverished. Management doesn't seem to care about quality or competence- only that their employees have a pulse and a clearance. Many of the managers have the maturity of teenagers, and seem to thrive on petty gossip. Rather than reward top performers, they appear to prefer employees who don't show at client meetings and don't professionally carry out their duties.

Advice to Management

Rise above the personal favoritism and reward high performing individuals. Address employee concerns swiftly to ease tensions. Address the root cause of problems, rather than temporary easement, even if it means a temporary loss of revenue.

"Lacking good management"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Eagle Ray full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None really except for health, dental, vision, 401k. Then move on.

Cons

I was there for a 3 months. There were many complaints around me about management that I was seeing. So I know that I was not alone in my observations.

Advice to Management

Go to school.

"Sink or swim"

Current Employee - Java Developer
    Current Employee - Java Developer

Pros

They are generally kind and good people that work here. But if you work on contract site, you won't be working with Eagleray employees most likely. There corporate culture is good, but your supervisors and colleagues will most likely be from a different contracting brand, and less likely to help you than one from their own brand.

Cons

When on contract you are not working with other Eagleray employees. Instead they put you in group of competing contractors. The competing contractors are uncooperative and only loyal to their subcontracting brand. The size and complexity of the projects require mentorship of a colleague. You must get good networking skills because this is not the job where you can thrive as an independant thinker.