Earle M. Jorgensen Reviews | Glassdoor

R. Neil McCaffery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Inside Sales"

I worked at Earle M. Jorgensen full-time

Pros

Good company that is positioned well for future growth.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited unless a person can relocate.

"Positive place to work"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Troutdale, VA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Troutdale, VA

I worked at Earle M. Jorgensen part-time

Pros

Positive place to work. Everyone seemed cool and helpful in guiding me in the right direction as a warehouse support person. This was only a temporary position. But the short time I was there it seemed like a good company.

Cons

Difficult to get hired on full time as a union member. Working through the temp agency had me doing jobs that other guys were getting twice what I was being paid.

Advice to Management

Stop working with temps so much. Aleviate your frustrations with temp employee performance and hire a full time "support" person who can move around the warehouse doing a bunch of odd jobs and provide them a pathway to and through the union.

3. "Programmer"

I worked at Earle M. Jorgensen full-time

Pros

Solid employer, good team of people to work with. Clean enviroment. Good befinits package.

Cons

Not alot of room for advancement. Due to being a solid place to work there is not much turn over, and not much company growth in the department I was in that would allow for it.

Advice to Management

Management was great.

4. "Driver"

I worked at Earle M. Jorgensen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good bennifits, great people to work with. Hours of operation are reasonable. Decent hours per pay period. Paid weekly.

Cons

Not many opportunities to move up in the company. Hated always having to wear a hard hat while inside the warehouse, even though I understood the necessity.

Advice to Management

The hourly rate should increase proportionately with the national cost of living rates.

5. "It was okay to pay the bills..."

Former Employee - Fabrications Coordinator in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Fabrications Coordinator in Hayward, CA

I worked at Earle M. Jorgensen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Even if you are not a sales person, management still has the ability to put in for bonuses for you. This was great because it was a way for management to reward hardwork
    2) They often would buy lunch for the employees depending upon what was happening in the office, lunch was often provided once a week sometimes more
    3) You get paid weekly so it helped
    4) It is MOSTLY a monday to friday job

Cons

Their employees work very hard, I would even come in on weekends or stay after hours because I was helping the warehouse or the sales department. However, the managers have access to your time clock and would adjust it if they didnt feel the need was required for that overtime. I cant tell you how many times I had to fight payroll. I started to take a picture of my time clock stamp and date every single day so I had proof of my clock in/lunch and clock out.

They also have horrible salaries, for the area that I lived in and the amount of work I did, I was never once given a raise when I was told that we would get them in certain months of the year. I struggled every week try to put food on the table because I was making the same amount as someone at burger king.

Dont even think about transferring branches or moving up into a different position unless you have been there for years. They say that they would pay for your schooling but it has to be related to the business and there has to be an open position for you in the area you want to transfer to, otherwise HR will deny your request

Most of the people who work for EMJ are older because they have been there forever. Unfortunately with the changing times they are not very flexible when it comes to adapting to the needs of their employees. They can be very harsh, if not rude all the time. They will tell you that they are like a family but when something happens to you they dont care. You could literally be in the hospital (with proper documentation and all) and they will ask you if you will be coming back to work for the remainder of the day.

They hire and promote people that should not be in those positions. More experience and discipline is needed. When an entire warehouse and office of people dont respect you and you were the only person who applied for a position then it brings to question why didnt anybody want the position to begin with? They will literally throw anybody into a spot just to fill it!

There are a lot of harassment and ethical issues within this company, everything gets overlooked and pushed under the rug.

Advice to Management

pay attention to your employees more. If your employees are happy then your business will do good. the employees have a horrible work life balance. More training needs to be done for new employees or employees who are covering certain areas

6. "An amazing company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

Pros

A great environment to work in

Cons

There aren't very many downsides to the company

7. "Good Job"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Earle M. Jorgensen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family like atmosphere, busy job, lots to do..

Cons

No room for advancement, low pay

8. "Solid company, industry leader"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Earle M. Jorgensen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great management, best pay in the industry

Cons

vacation and sick day allowances are a little out of touch with today's employment markets.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

9. "Truck driver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eads, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eads, TN

I have been working at Earle M. Jorgensen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is pretty good

Cons

Hours are not convienent

Advice to Management

Better benefits

"Great Company"

I have been working at Earle M. Jorgensen full-time

Pros

great hours, great people, awesome benefits

Cons

tenured upper management and outside sales positions, not much movement at the top, and limited opportunity for growth.