Earls Kitchen + Bar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Earls Kitchen + Bar President Mo Jessa
Mo Jessa

Pros
  • A great place to make long lasting friendships with great people (in 15 reviews)

• People are fun, and the food is good (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It seems there is zero work/life balance anywhere in the company (in 9 reviews)

• Long hours usually, fast paced cooking conditions (in 12 reviews)

1. "The People Place"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The believe in people. They are a family owned company out of Canada with over 68 restaurants between Canada and the US, but you still get the family owned feel. The people within the company all work to build each other up.

Cons

The food is so good, not so great for the diet.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you are doing.

2. "fine"

Former Employee - Back of House in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Back of House in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun place to work mostly

Cons

sometimes management is pretty annoying

3. "Steady"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice restaurant, good food, good atmosphere

Cons

Management tends to be moved around so fast, most of the time the people in power do not have the experience to be proficient at managing.

Advice to Management

Micromanage less.

5. "Mindless Company"

Current Employee - Server in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Server in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here for a really long time. I made decent money, and I enjoyed the girls I worked with. Earl's has good concepts if followed through, but they are never carried through to the BP's (employees). Lots of room for growth within leadership positions or back of house.

Cons

Management is classic restaurant management. They make promises without carrying them through, and then forget about them. GM doesn't care about employees.. and even the best servers are disposable. No room for growth within servers due to seniority.

Advice to Management

Follow through with your company mission, and learn how to value your employees. When regular feedback is critical to the BP's position within the company, then make time for them. I have seen endless dedicated employees who were with the company 3+ years walk out recently due to lack of communication within management.

6. "Server pay"

Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The majority of the people are great and the ones that aren't don't last. They pay is actually really good once you know what your doing and get into the swing of things. My 1st month I was worried I couldn't afford to keep working there. Now I can't afford to leave. Management is great for a restaurant so long as you don't abuse it.

Cons

It's a lot of work but that's because unfortunately there are always a couple people who don't hold their weight but those are the ones that don't last. Advice talk to your closing server and ask what they expect of you cause they're the ones that will be in charge of you leaving once your cut. Also if your pro active and make the most of your time while you still have tables, people like myself will notice and do their best to get you out when your cut

Advice to Management

Offer Zack a salary position even if he hasn't applied. He deserves it. Every time I work with him he embodies everything Earls stands for.

7. "Expo"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time

Pros

Free food, learn cook, and learn good life skills

Cons

Nothing really like extra $10 add cuz you get a free meal when you work

Advice to Management

Cut expos earlier

8. "Brainwash"

Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

Pros

-Great values
    -Everyone is attractive
    -Provide extensive training when opening a new restaurant

Cons

-None of the managers or servers had restaurant experience
    -Give people shifts on who hangs out with the manager the most
    -Don't know how to run a restaurant
    -Male managers constantly harassing the female servers

Advice to Management

Get experience first. You can't run a restaurant if you've never worked at a restaurant before.

9. "Don't Work in the Kitchen if You're a Woman"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Pros

-Pay is really good and competitive
    -Nice discount on food - 50% off up to $10 each shift with free drinks or 10% dining off your shift
    -For the most part really nice people
    -Good Training
    -Sanitation and Food Quality is immaculate
    -Really Encouraging and friendly environment, lots of camaraderie and good morale among workers.

Cons

-Dealing with coworkers can be an issue sometimes, so typically I try to brush it off so as to not be viewed as annoying. Issues were significant and only 2 of them were brought up to management, with which none were properly addressed as the issue continued.
    -Workers were constantly promised full-time hours and weren't receiving them, however many part time workers on the line were getting 40 + overtime.
    -You get a lot of flack for booking time off, even months in advanced.

Advice to Management

Address Employees Concerns, actually listen to them, try to talk to the people promoting a negative kitchen culture and help them be able to change the rhetoric others are using. (Mainly just tons of Racial slurs, using the word "retarded" while making fun of a special needs worker, and just general crassness expected of a kitchen but shouldn't be normal in an 'open' kitchen, because customers can hear you?)

TIP: Always write your name on your water bottle, it will get stolen.

Earls Kitchen + Bar Response

May 30, 2016 – People Brand Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your time at Earls Kitchen + Bar. While we're thrilled that you enjoyed the training and general work environment, we are concerned about the ... More

10. "Line Cook/Line Leader in Training"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Denver, CO

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location's Staff deeply care about your development as a cook and a contributing member of the company. They want you to succeed and will push you to do so. Very close bond between the employees at our Downtown Denver location was very good for moral.

Cons

Massive loss of hours ( avg. 25 per week at time of departure) combined with minimal benefits and incentives to continue working resulted in my departure from company. I was not in a postion where I could reap any long term benefits.

Advice to Management

Management at our location was unwilling to assist employees from outlying areas with transportation (flex passes for Denver bus system would have been greatly appreciated and would have made a major difference)

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hot girls, and really amazing food. Co-workers are great and you are going into work every day enjoying something new

Cons

Bad management, Management is really inexperienced and they hire to many people minimal hours, You go into work fearing if you have a job or not. I had a job then they didn't fire me but they removed my hours, so they just called me when they wanted me to come in.

Advice to Management

Better run management