Earls Kitchen + Bar Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Earls Kitchen + Bar President Mo Jessa
Mo Jessa

Pros
  • A great place to make long lasting friendships with great people (in 14 reviews)

• People are fun, and the food is good (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It seems there is zero work/life balance anywhere in the company (in 9 reviews)

• Long hours usually, fast paced cooking conditions (in 12 reviews)

1. "The People Place"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The believe in people. They are a family owned company out of Canada with over 68 restaurants between Canada and the US, but you still get the family owned feel. The people within the company all work to build each other up.

Cons

The food is so good, not so great for the diet.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you are doing.

2. "fine"

Former Employee - Back of House in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Back of House in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun place to work mostly

Cons

sometimes management is pretty annoying

3. "Steady"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice restaurant, good food, good atmosphere

Cons

Management tends to be moved around so fast, most of the time the people in power do not have the experience to be proficient at managing.

Advice to Management

Micromanage less.

5. "Server"

Former Employee - Server

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met a lot of awesome people through Earls and that more than anything kept me working there as long as I did. The food is terrific and Earls as a company is very organized

Cons

They openly prefer to have women as opposed to men take many service roles. They would straight say they would not train any men to tend the bar even though we were in need of new bar tenders and had volunteers.

Advice to Management

When it comes to the little details that customers probably don't even notice like if there are more women or men serving in the lounge or tending the bar, most customers do not actually notice or care

6. "They talk the talk but don't walk the walk."

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time

Pros

Awesome people to work with, good managers, and can make decent money serving. I liked most of the people that I worked with.

Cons

They pay noting in the BOH but expect a ton. It seems there is zero work/life balance anywhere in the company.
    No idea where they are going or how to get there. The upper management changes directions monthly and it makes the job really hard and angers the customers.

Advice to Management

Live what you preach. You talk about being a people organization but all of the best people end up leaving for one reason or another.

7. "Mindless Company"

Current Employee - Server in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Server in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here for a really long time. I made decent money, and I enjoyed the girls I worked with. Earl's has good concepts if followed through, but they are never carried through to the BP's (employees). Lots of room for growth within leadership positions or back of house.

Cons

Management is classic restaurant management. They make promises without carrying them through, and then forget about them. GM doesn't care about employees.. and even the best servers are disposable. No room for growth within servers due to seniority.

Advice to Management

Follow through with your company mission, and learn how to value your employees. When regular feedback is critical to the BP's position within the company, then make time for them. I have seen endless dedicated employees who were with the company 3+ years walk out recently due to lack of communication within management.

8. "Server pay"

Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The majority of the people are great and the ones that aren't don't last. They pay is actually really good once you know what your doing and get into the swing of things. My 1st month I was worried I couldn't afford to keep working there. Now I can't afford to leave. Management is great for a restaurant so long as you don't abuse it.

Cons

It's a lot of work but that's because unfortunately there are always a couple people who don't hold their weight but those are the ones that don't last. Advice talk to your closing server and ask what they expect of you cause they're the ones that will be in charge of you leaving once your cut. Also if your pro active and make the most of your time while you still have tables, people like myself will notice and do their best to get you out when your cut

Advice to Management

Offer Zack a salary position even if he hasn't applied. He deserves it. Every time I work with him he embodies everything Earls stands for.

9. "Expo"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar part-time

Pros

Free food, learn cook, and learn good life skills

Cons

Nothing really like extra $10 add cuz you get a free meal when you work

Advice to Management

Cut expos earlier

10. "Fun Company"

Former Employee - Server

I worked at Earls Kitchen + Bar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really fun work place and staff.

Cons

A lot of hard work with little support staff.

"There are much better restaurant chains to work at"

Former Employee - Host/Server/Back Office
    Former Employee - Host/Server/Back Office

Pros

-If you were a good employee, management would try their best to work with you to keep you there (scheduling, position, etc).

-Young staff who were fun to be around for the most part (although this also sometimes created problems).

Cons

-SEXISM. Women were NOT allowed to work in the kitchen, even if they were more qualified than their male counterparts, which is unfortunate because there were more long-term opportunities in the kitchen than in the front of the house. Men were not allowed to work in the lounge area as servers, even though that is where the majority of the money was earned. Men could not be hired as hosts. Women had to wear short skirts and V-neck blouses, makeup, and heels (even if they were in pain), while male servers wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt and comfortable shoes.

-Pay! Minimum wage. Low tip-outs if you worked in the kitchen or were support staff. You would get $1-2 an hour as a host, regardless of how busy it was. So if it was slow, the servers would lose money on the deal. If it was busy, the hosts would be running around (there were no busers at our location, so hosts bused everything when it was busy) and not making any extra money. Created an atmosphere where cooks and hosts didn't get along with servers.

-Told we'd have the opportunity to receive health insurance if we were worked over 35 hours consistently but management did not make any attempt to actually help individuals reach their goal of 25 hours.

-In other restaurants I've worked in, we were given free meals and drinks. Here the food discount was pretty small, especially considering the food's price and quality.

-Didn't get paid for training or for monthly staff meetings we were required to attend.