Early Warning Services Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul W. Finch Jr

Pros
  • Free coffee and some perks to keep the morale up and make employees feel human (in 5 reviews)

• Good people in the trenches having success in spite of some leaders (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate, even for C-level employees (in 3 reviews)

• No one seems to know what anyone else is doing and many of the employees don't even seem to know what they are doing (in 3 reviews)

1. "Pretty Cool Work Culture"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Early Warning Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Following latest tools and technologies, keeping upto date with the market. People are very approachable and helpful. No micromanagement

Cons

HR is a bit laid back
    Not many opportunities for internal openings

2. "FinTech that is finding it's way."

Current Employee - Client Technocal Support Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Technocal Support Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Early Warning Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Medical, vision, dental, and pleasant coworkers. 401k match.

Some teams work remote, some get work from home days, other don't. Depends on the position and manager.

Sometimes there are food scraps left over after executive meetings.

Third Thursday happy hours.

Cons

The company wants to be agile like a startup, but moves like an Enterprise. Or more accurately a third party caught between regulatory branches, banks, and their own red tape.

Advice to Management

Get the tools employees need in their hands more expediately than on the backlog of some Sprint, of some release, that is not going to happen.

3. "Company at inflection point"

I have been working at Early Warning Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company, moving into consumer space

Cons

Immature, taking on big bank formality and structure

5. "Fast Pace and Always Changing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Early Warning Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rapid change and growth. Exciting capabilities.

Cons

Communication from the top down needs to improve.

Advice to Management

Before making a decision that impacts a large number of employees, ask them what they would like. You might just find the right answer if you do that.

"25+ year old company with a start-up personality"

Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Early Warning Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for almost 7 years as of this writing, and have seen it change drastically. I'm excited about the new direction and re-energized by the changes over the past year. It's like working at a start-up these days, even though the company has been around since the early 90s. Early Warning is growing rapidly and has transformed from being "just" a fraud and risk management company into being a fintech payments company and data innovator.

Lots of energy going on -- you have to be able to move fast and be flexible to keep up. But it's worth it because the company is financially in great shape and takes care of employees who go the extra mile to contribute to its success. The culture has evolved amazingly since I started work here. The CEO genuinely cares about the employees and instills that in his leadership team.

Security is very tight - which in this day and age (and considering what we do) is a good thing. And the company invests heavily in technology (data and security). There are solid growth plans in place. Not only will the company (and Zelle, it's new payments network) be changing the way consumers conduct P2P payments, Early Warning will also continue to be one of the "good guys" out there helping to protect organizations and people from fraud and all the bad stuff you hear about going on in the financial system.

Cons

If you don't like change and can't adapt to the things that go hand-in-hand with rapid-growth, this may not be the place for you. There's always a bit of chaos, but that's normal -- high growth companies in this industry have to be flexible and able to adjust quickly to the rapid changes going on in the industry. Not everyone can handle that. There are bad things that go on in every company. This place isn't perfect -- no place is -- but it's a whole lot better than most places I've ever worked.

Advice to Management

Find more space - we're running out of room here in Scottsdale.

7. "Exciting future ahead!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Early Warning Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is an incredibly bright future for this company. There are so many ways to get involved in exciting innovations coming down the pipeline, and a ton of fresh energy across the organization as we've scaled quickly over the past year. That excitement makes it fun to come to work every day.

- Good benefits (401K match, good PTO, other fun benefits depending on your office location)
    - Genuinely nice people to work with
    - Excellent opportunities for career growth, and getting to be part of something big
    - The company feels pragmatic, stable and sustainable in its business practices

Cons

As a company focused on security, sometimes things can move pretty slowly. But it's pretty standard...If you're used to typically slow/highly regulated industries, you probably won't notice. But new systems and openness are helping us find solutions.

People have worked really hard to get us where we are today, so there's some burnout across the company. But as we are hiring like crazy, there seems to be hope for helping to lift some of that stress and breathe new life into teams across the co.

Advice to Management

Nurture the sub-cultures in your satellite offices, too! They'll be your cheerleaders and help you continue to grow the team with great talent.

"Motivated, Intelligent individuals building a unique, American financial asset"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Early Warning Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Incredible history of financial stability.
    - Teams work together to try to do the right thing.
    - Managers truly believe in growing their people.
    - Best Application Security and Penetration testing team in the world.
    - Organization believes in spending money on the right tools and appliances to support the work.
    - Varied technology and opportunity to explore and apply emerging best practices.
    - Has a technical road map
    - Work from home is flexible, and appropriate.
    - Incredibly fast growth, with enormous future potential.
    - HR department listens to employees needs and design benefit packages, and team activities accordingly.
    - One of Early Warning's Core Values is employee Happiness. They truly strive to achieve such.
    - We have robots

Cons

- Security is critically essential and sometimes causes slow progress.
    - Fast growth can lead to inexperienced individuals in leadership roles.
    - Our robots don't talk...yet.

Advice to Management

I am lucky to have a senior, and experience manager. He is able to help me and my team navigate the structure of Early Warning to achieve our goals. As we continue to grow, find a way to train new managers such that they can provide the same incredible insight to the organization as I receive through my own leadership.

As we move toward new markets, some individuals may be fearful that the new future doesn't include their particular expertise. This leads to irrational road blocks. I believe Early Warning recognizes that the people, their experience, and expertise drive the value of our products. However the environment of growth can quiet that message. Encourage and share how product roadmaps continue to include and train individuals.

Zelle is extremely exciting, but there are a number of other ventures within Early Warning. Please continue to recognize and encourage teams outside of the payment space.

"Take a pass on this one"

I have been working at Early Warning Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid every two weeks. You earn a decent amount of pto. Beyond that, there really aren't any pros.

Cons

There are many. Someone got the brilliant idea that employees are more effective if they sit at big group tables and/or in open areas. In reality, its just a big noisy area that reduces your effectiveness. Some people are in the good-ol-boys network and are involved with projects. The rest are left to fend for themselves and "work" tickets. As for a career path/growth - there is none unless you are part of the previously mentioned good-ol-boys network.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of unhappy people. If you want to keep them, you need to make IMMEDIATE changes. If you don't want to keep them, leave things are they are and you will see them leave.

"Poisonous toxic environment. Worse corruption and politics than Washington D.C."

I have been working at Early Warning Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good people that work here, just not the ones that will control your future at the job.

Cons

The Board of Directors should really take a look of the entire internal set up and determine if they support the overall political, bureaucratic, toxic environment. As a stakeholder, they should be extremely apprehensive to associate with the internal workings of a company such as Early Warning.

Huge egos run the show, good old boy, back alley handshake deals done after-hours added with the demeaning tone and underhandedness of the leadership bleeds though and drowns their over sold core values.

Unethical business practices are a common thread throughout and coercion is a daily occurrence. Ruling by demeaning intimidation is prominent and not holding offending parties accountable of the pre-listed situations due to legacy relationships is almost worse.

There are a vast majority that just try to keep out of the way and stay low on the radar.

Completely disappointed in the entire Mid/Senior/C level for not doing what needs to be done to correct the wrong and giving special concessions and promotions to those not qualified nor good for the overall team due to being friends or having alliances.

Very disappointed, you could have a great company.

Advice to Management

Some people are too broken to even bring it up anymore. You will just use it against us or it will fall on deaf ear like it has for years. Quit hiring people with sub par ethics that are looking for power and pomp and circumstance. Your few bad apples are ruining it for everyone else.

"New directions are good"

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Early Warning Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EW is in the process of cleaning out some old products and developing hotter FiTech applications. They have been on a hiring spree and have brought in some forward-thinkers and good technical talent. EW is a smallish company and it's had ups and downs but it's in a good place now. JMHO

There are some initiatives for social, educational and community outreach that is suppose to be employee-driven.

The concierge is awesome! Really takes care of people.

Like all jobs... it is what you make it.

Cons

They really need to have a work at home policy that applies across the board to FT, salaried people who do not have phone-centric jobs.

HR has a bad reputation for being bossy. Which is strange because they are HR!

Construction is not well planned. They literally build doors then move them a month later. New conference room walls are glass which is distracting and the old fashioned "banker's table" doesn't move so it is impossible to repurpose rooms for anything than... sitting around a big table.

Advice to Management

Invest in workplace automation. There is way too much reliance on shuffling paper, spreadsheets and emails. There are too many manual processes. Strive to get and keep the very best people.