Earth Fare Reviews in Athens, GA | Glassdoor

Frank Scorpiniti
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No one reads this in upper management don't give a crap about you (in 31 reviews)

• Home office made decisions that didn't take into consideration how that would affect the customers and employees (in 28 reviews)

"Cashier Review"

Former Employee - Cashier in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Athens, GA

I worked at Earth Fare (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible and training provided. However, I wouldn't recommend unless you want a little side job during college.

Cons

Earthfare was bought by a new company, and they don't care about the employees. The only thing that matters is the bottom line. Pay is also a joke.

2. "Great co-workers, TERRIBLE management"

Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Athens, GA

I worked at Earth Fare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there, your co-workers, are extremely nice and friendly. They are fun to work with and generally have a great outlook on work and life.

Cons

The management is awful. There is a lot of miscommunication. It seems the only long time workers there are those who are on disability - i.e. they can't be fired for no reason. The rest of the employees either quit because they are overworked and underpaid, or if they choose to stay on and try to climb the ladder, they very suddenly go from getting excellent reviews for their work from management, to suddenly getting bad reviews, constant threat of write-up, etc. until management finds a reason to fire them. This is one thing called railroading someone, they want to get rid of them because they've been there too long and their pay rate is getting too high, so it's time to find ANY excuse to fire someone and bring in some dumb college kid that needs money desperately. They pay just barely above minimum wage and demand tremendous amounts of work.

Advice to Management

Ignore your corporate overlords, and have a heart, care for your employees and foster an environment of trust and companionship. Or stay the course. Giving someone great reviews for their work one month, then terrible reviews as you fire them the next month is lower than scum.

"Was good, once upon a time"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Athens, GA

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the past, there were some good benefits and good people to work with. However, that can not be said anymore. Really discouraging to have nothing positive to say except learning a little about supplements.

Cons

Where to begin. Benefits and raises have been taken away. Staff has been reduced to skeleton staff status to pay the upper management higher wages. Look at the staff, talk to them. Do any of them seem to be enjoying working there? Or is it not onvious that from the corporate change over that it is a facade, the ethics, believes, etc....On a positive/negative, watch how incompetence is rewarded. If a staff member cant perform or keep their life together, they are candidates for management.

Advice to Management

Quit your job, get out if the way, let those who know what they are doing, do what needs to be done. Do it before the ship sinks.

4. "Great place to work in college"

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Athens, GA

Pros

Very relaxed, social work place.

Cons

Management rotates in and out regularly

"Not a place for anyone who enjoys the fruits of contributing within the workplace."

Current Employee - Deli in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Deli in Athens, GA

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The community of employees is built up as a network within which you have an opportunity to meet everyone and grow a particular relationship with each one, individually and as groups. The company as a whole seems to have been built with good intent as far as their code of ethics and many of the practices I witness within the operation, first-hand. They are also not at all guilty of judgement of lifestyle, and seem to therefore foster a community hot-spot, with employees and regulars who are a live example of a corporately established farmer's market/cafe.

Cons

Aside of Walm. or few other service-oriented businesses have I felt less appreciated or compensated for work, both skills, education, and a well-build ethic, while earning less than 8.80 in 2014. I have worked for Earth Fare for over a year now and have never seen a raise, but only been evaded when I have asked for one. I have been trained to run, full-time, my department, as well as to fill in for other departments. I train new-hires with less experience than myself to make at least a dollar more than myself, and other employees receive compensation for taking-on additional tasks for the business, whereas I have never received any such equal such compensations. I am formally rebuked for the few minor infractions I may have incurred in my time there, insinuating a higher standard of my position, whereas I work with people whose priorities lie in drinking on the job, or having frequent bodily illnesses preventing them from showing up either on-time or not at all, and these behaviors and others' are somehow unmanageable by our direct management system.

Advice to Management

The Athens, GA location is run via a combination of the Departmental and Functional Organizational Structures, the only problem I am experiencing directly being their Functional Structure. I am unable to say directly if there is at this time a personal dispute between myself and any member of management, though I have no quarrels. I have in the past on several occasions felt that there was disagreement among the levels of management as to whether I should be further employed, and at this time I feel that it has been agreed that I not be rewarded for any work I do for which equal employees would be rewarded, that I make as minimal wage as anyone else in my position, regardless of my education or further experience.
    My advice to management would be to operate their business in a way more in alignment with their companies code of ethics and not their own. Furthermore, monitoring of this from higher in the company may not be a bad idea.
     Finally, and perhaps most importantly, a more formalized training program, perhaps at least to ensure more of a team-oriented work atmosphere with "spec:" ways of completing tasks would go a long way. This, as well as some OSHA materials for purposes of educating the new employees of health and safety in a kitchen environment. There currently are no training sessions of any sort.

"dont waste your time"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Athens, GA

Pros

team member discount, great people to work with

Cons

poor communication from management, unflexable hours

"Began as a business built on principals, but sold out. Integrity takes back burner to profits."

Former Employee - Hourly Employee in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Hourly Employee in Athens, GA

Pros

Discount on relatively better quality food.
    At one time, the employees and employers worked together as a team--even as a family (but don't expect this now.)
    Some, if only a few, people at the corporate level are passionate about the integrity of the industry.

Cons

CEO makes careless jokes about GMOs--"Monsanto gives us a GREAT deal on cheap corn!"
    No loyalty to their mission statement: i.e. "No cruelty to animals", however there are factory farmed milks on the shelves. "We support sustainable agriculture", however only ONE local farmer is sold in the GA store, countless products are still coming from Brazil and Argentina--hardly sustainable!
    I've seen countless valuable employees wrongfully terminated, or worse, bullied into quitting by members of management.

Advice to Management

Care about your people and care about your industry, or you will lose both.