Earth Fare Reviews in Charleston, SC | Glassdoor

1.2
Frank Scorpiniti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No one reads this in upper management don't give a crap about you (in 31 reviews)

• Home office made decisions that didn't take into consideration how that would affect the customers and employees (in 28 reviews)

1. "Fun coworkers"

Former Employee - Cashier in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work there are generally really fun and interesting

Cons

Somewhat disorganized, high turnover rate

"Terribly Mismanaged"

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, at this point in the company's history, there aren't any.

Cons

They will overwork you and underpay you. Those who work hard tend to catch all the flack for those who don't.

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Specialty Clerk in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Specialty Clerk in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The discount on products, which you will need with your small paycheck, is 20%, except on beer/wine. The people you work with on a daily basis are great, the teammembers I mean. And the food philosophy is one of the toughest in the industry, although it doesn't say anything about GMOs.

Cons

The management. Worst ever management. When I worked as a cashier, I had 5 different front in managers in less than two years. And all but two of them were fired or asked to step down. They don't hire people based on the knowledge that they have so the ppl they end up with don't have the necessary knowledge to benefit the store. It's so frustrating.

Also these stores are absolutely the worst in terms of gossip. Instead of pulling together and addressing an issue like adults (um, we're all in this together, anyone?), the vast majority of problems are address via talking behind someone's back until they are unceremoniously fired. It's charming (sarcasm).

Advice to Management

Grow up. Hire ppl because they can do the job, even if you don't like them as much. Stop talking about ppl behind their backs. Focus on the customers and getting stuff done. Actually care what your employees are telling you. They know what they're talking about because their out there working when you're in the back office gossiping.

"Earth Unfair"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

20% discount, working with cool people

Cons

Management likes to pick favorites, so employees can be treated unfairly. Ever since I've started and quit, I have witnessed many people being pushed aside in favor of less experienced people when it comes to promotions. Only half of the department managers are reliable people while the others are promoted based on how much they go drinking with the store or district managers.

I've even talked a few of my friends out of applying for Earth Fare.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. If it weren't for a small handful of people that have stuck around, I would have stopped visiting and started shopping at other stores altogether. It pains me to see people who have been properly trained for management positions get passed in favor of for incompetent buffoons.

"overworked, underpaid and never appreciated"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As everyone says, you get a discount on mostly overpriced food (especially in the deli and hot bar). I met some amazing people at earth fare.

Cons

Where to start?
    Since the buy out in 2012, this company has lost its way - less quality food esp. in the hot bar and deli, so many coupons and promotions the cashiers have no chance, corporate office desperately out of touch with store operations, very low pay with sad 3% max raises annually and loss of yearly bonuses.
    But wait, there's more!
    Intense focus on comp sales and numbers game yet depts have less labor hours and provide very little training to new employees. Store management is constantly scrambling to help out understaffed depts and if there is a coupon happening (often in the meat dept), they will ask literally anyone to work the counter, including dishwashers, cashiers, etc. You must staff properly to deliver excellent customer service!
    Finally...
    Every month there is another corny marketing plan with t-shirts and banners and 6 months later they will have completely abandoned the program. They are throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what will stick - the answer is generally nothing.

This could go on and on, but hopefully you get the idea.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I believe it is too late. Former CEO stood for principles of healthy food with clean ingredients - new team is numbers crazy with little regard for low level employees and their lives. Increase pay, improve benefits package, staff all depts properly, train employees to better serve customers, get home office in the stores to see what it's really like. Again, this could go on and on.

"Low pay, always understaffed, management is highly unprofessional."

Former Employee - Catering and Special Events Coordinate in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Catering and Special Events Coordinate in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

20 percent discount and great assortment of health foods.

Cons

Unbelievably understaffed all of the time, management is oppressive and unprofessional, they do not provide resources needed to perform your job, extremely poor customer service due to understaffing, excessive running out of products.there is very low morale. Abusive behavior toward employees by department managers is tolerated by upper management at the Charleston location.Preparation and planning to coordinate special events in non existent.

Advice to Management

Increase wages, allow employees to file formal complaints concerning how they treated, hire more people instead of stretching the staff unbearably, REQUIRE managers to receive professional development training to instill true professionalism.Show care and appreciation for employees and bring out the best of them instead of using them as scapegoats for your lack of management. Also, hire a Pest control company that guarantees the removal of roaches a rats. Infestation is excessive in food services.

"Why do you treat your employees as if they are all thieves? Personal experience, perhaps?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time

Pros

Fellow employees are mostly great.

Cons

Do you enjoy being micro managed and treated like a child and a thief? Work here.

Advice to Management

Don't be the way you are (and you know how you are).

"Full of lies"

Former Employee - Assistant Food Service Manager in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Food Service Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount on Food.was fair.

Cons

Store management in Charleston is cut throat and heartless. Unethical.

Advice to Management

Come out.

"Fresh but cooked and bagged in a central kitchen. Fail"

Former Employee - Food Service in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Food Service in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was okay, on the lower end though.

Cons

They usually higher management outside of the company and take advantage of people who work hard. Training is horrible also.

Advice to Management

I think they need to get a better perspective on employee morale

"Just a Job, Not a Career"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount on food
    Nice peers to work with
    Somewhat decent benefits

Cons

MASSIVE Turnover, Non-competitive low pay,
    Yearly raise capped at three percent max even if you were a perfect employee
    New employees getting paid as much or more than seasoned employees due to rigid pay structure

Advice to Management

Your employees are you greatest resource. Try to remember that instead of using them as a way to cut cost.