Earth Fare Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 27, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Frank Scorpiniti

Pros
  • great ppl to work with ,20% discount never a dull moment (in 33 reviews)

• Great employee discount, upbeat work enviornment (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • No one reads this in upper management don't give a crap about you (in 31 reviews)

• Virtually no communication from the home office on down (in 27 reviews)

1. "Great co-workers, TERRIBLE management"

Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Athens, GA

I worked at Earth Fare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there, your co-workers, are extremely nice and friendly. They are fun to work with and generally have a great outlook on work and life.

Cons

The management is awful. There is a lot of miscommunication. It seems the only long time workers there are those who are on disability - i.e. they can't be fired for no reason. The rest of the employees either quit because they are overworked and underpaid, or if they choose to stay on and try to climb the ladder, they very suddenly go from getting excellent reviews for their work from management, to suddenly getting bad reviews, constant threat of write-up, etc. until management finds a reason to fire them. This is one thing called railroading someone, they want to get rid of them because they've been there too long and their pay rate is getting too high, so it's time to find ANY excuse to fire someone and bring in some dumb college kid that needs money desperately. They pay just barely above minimum wage and demand tremendous amounts of work.

Advice to Management

Ignore your corporate overlords, and have a heart, care for your employees and foster an environment of trust and companionship. Or stay the course. Giving someone great reviews for their work one month, then terrible reviews as you fire them the next month is lower than scum.

"Stop! do not pass go!"

Former Employee - Assistant Prepared Food Manager in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Prepared Food Manager in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Can't really think of any it's so not worth your time. Any positive review usually store mangers or someone got paid to.do..

Cons

Way too many to list. It's a nightmare dont waste your time. No training too little hrs. Want ppl to do.3ppls Jobs.very low pay. No one reads this in upper management don't give a crap about you ...at all. You can find what you need everywhere else including amazon. Everything is a gimmick! Don't get in the Titanic! !!!

Advice to Management

Just stop! Terrible ppl was asked not to.hire a person because they were Muslim! Asked to fire ppl that had been there more than 3yrs....and"just find a reason" lies lies and lies !!!! 1 Star because I have too. You deserve to go out of buisness! Organic my rear end!! It's all t he same things you find at wal mart just more $$$

3. "Food Service"

I worked at Earth Fare part-time

Pros

Awesome crew for the most part but you cant win them all other right? Got to sample tons of yummy foods so I never really had to take a lunch.

Cons

Customer base is very rude in general, every now and again you do get someone that is very nice and makes your day but more often than not the customers there are very rude. There are also no benefits if you are part-time, you may get a 20% discount but when you take into account the cost of an item at that store there really is not discount. You could easily go to ACME or Giant Eagle and buy the same item cheaper than you would get with your store discount.

"What a mess."

I worked at Earth Fare part-time

Pros

Some nice co-workers and customers.

Cons

Pay is awful. I wasn't paid for my vacation hours when I left despite giving 2 weeks notice and working those 2 weeks as I was told I would be. I've called corporate and left message but no response. Disorganized company that can't keep good employees because of poor management and low pay.

Advice to Management

Care a little about employees.

"Look else ware"

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time

Pros

Mostly relaxed atmosphere. The associates are like family.

Cons

Skeleton crew. Not enough hours for the dpeartment to run effiently. No communication from up top to your people down below in the stores dealing with the customers. Corporate staff seems like its their first time running a company.

Advice to Management

Talk to your people who are making the money for you! Give us hours so we can provide customer service that people are looking for.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with good people. Hot bar was good most of the time. Some seemed to really care about what they were doing

Cons

No support from management in store or higher. Half the department managers were stoned most of the time. Poor morale. Inconsistent treatment of employees by store manager, who couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the stores. Let them operate. Don't micromanage

"Intentionally Under Staffed"

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time

Pros

Could be a great place to work if departments were properly staffed, but the company philosophy is to run the store with a skeleton crew at all times while still expecting exceptional performance. This is obviously impossible, so frustration is rampant.

Cons

Impossible to get your job done properly because there simply is NEVER enough time to do everything that is required of you.

Advice to Management

If you hired enough people you would make more money and have far less turn over.

9. "Going down hill"

Former Employee - Prepared Foods Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Prepared Foods Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that worked for me in prepared foods were great, as well as most of the store employees.

Cons

Store management doesnt know what they are doing. There is no training program!!!

Advice to Management

Hope you get a good SM

"Utterly ridiculous"

Current Employee - Food Service Associate
    Current Employee - Food Service Associate

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can meet a few interesting people (customers and employees), it's an opportunity to work with really good food...and that about wraps it up.

Cons

Management.
       The store managers feel a sense of ownership and entitlement, and yet, fail to maintain the store. For months, our store has had a broken trash compactor, cardboard baler, hood vents, walk in cooler fans, dishwasher, hand washing sinks, scales, and countless burnt out/flickering lights. When brought up, there's always the same response: shock and disbelief, then they go investigate, and then feign ignorance with, "I didn't know this was going on, thank you for bringing it to my attention." But that's the end of it. Nothing changes after that.
       The department managers I've dealt with will have another employee "train" you in one area. The level of competence of your trainer doesn't come into consideration. The food handling instructions I received on my first day is what DHEC nightmares are made of. I can no longer go to my department manager with any issues, because he tries to relate to me on the issue, one up me with trying to start a little pity party, or even just flat out change the subject to talk about how bad he has it.
       Stock is always an issue. Consistently out of stock with core items, but multiple back ups of obscure items. The repercussions always seems to lean towards the employee (who is only able to work with what he/she is given).
      Scheduling. Oh god, help us. Every day, I come into work, I ask what else I have to cover because there was a gap in the schedule, or someone called out. Every. Day. By the end of the week, the schedule is illegible from all of the written in corrections and adjustments. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Tl;dr: working here will make you question your sanity.

Advice to Management

Find that binder. You know...the one that details the responsibilities of the job? Read it. Then read it again. Then actually apply the knowledge that you read in the binder to your assigned job. Do not try to be my friend first, and then a manger (everyone walks all over you). Failing to maintain stock will only make it harder to bounce back with a limited budget. (As a side note...being on a limited budget, IT IS ABSOLUTELY ASSININE TO ORDER A BOX OF SWEET POTATOES, AND A BOX OF BRUSSEL SPROUTS, AS WELL AS A SMALLER BOX OF PRE-CUT/VACUUM PACKED SWEET POTATOES AND SPROUTS!!!) Focus on the strengths of your employees, and use those. The employee will be happier, honing skills, and therefore more productive. The department will run smoother, and you'll look better. Stop scrambling at the last minute to throw a schedule together like its a half-assed school science-fair project you made solely to get your teacher off your back.
    Basically, I see everyone getting stressed out about the job, and making last minute hasty decisions, or just avoiding situations altogether. Be more organized, and grounded and it will help you begin to push things into place to have a smoothly running store/department.

"Don't work here!!!"

Former Employee - Bakery Manager
    Former Employee - Bakery Manager

Pros

The only thing I liked was the people I worked with, I made some friends

Cons

Corporate was totally out of touch with the stores, they had unrealistic expectations for managers. They would cut hours but expect more things to be made in house. Health insurance was outrageous. When corporate would show up it was a frenzy to get the store looking presentable. Total joke.

Advice to Management

Go to the stores and talk to your department managers and listen to their frustrations.