Earth Fare Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Frank Scorpiniti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No one reads this in upper management don't give a crap about you (in 31 reviews)

• Home office made decisions that didn't take into consideration how that would affect the customers and employees (in 28 reviews)

1. "Over rated"

I worked at Earth Fare part-time

Pros

None whatsoever. None. Zero. Zilch.

Cons

Pitiful training, Lack of organization.

"Empty shelves and no labor"

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time

Pros

Cool coworkers, store level management is good, at least at my store

Cons

Even though sales have gone up our budgets to purchase product have gone down. This has led to us being out of numerous items and customers are noticing. We also aren't provided enough labor dollars to do what is expected of us. This has led to overworked employees and upset customers. At this rate sales will continue to suffer. Sales are consistently down from the previous year, and this has been true since Scorpiniti became CEO. On the surface the company appears to be trending upwards with multiple new stored opening each year, but dig deeper and you find a company either in trouble or being run very poorly. Also there is literally no training budget so no one knows what they are doing anymore.

Advice to Management

Fire Scorpiniti and find a CEO that knows what he's doing. At this rate he's going to run this company into the ground. Customers are noticing the lack of staffing and the shelves getting emptier and emptier. Also training is kind of important to budget for.

"BEWARE!!!!"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Earth Fare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only thing is the somewhat healthy food they have that hasn't been expired for two years.

Cons

The management was an absolute atrocity. I was hired on at part time which I was told was 26 hours with the possibility of up to 40. My first two weeks there they gave me 26 hours exactly and then the following week have me 13 hours. When I approached the store manager about it, his response was part time means 0-26 hours. I have 14+ years in retail and I've never heard of such a thing. At the particular store in which I worked they had four people from one family working there which is a complete conflict of interest. Management is only in it for their best interest.

Advice to Management

Get off your lazy butts and stop letting that along with your greediness fall down on your employees.

"Admin"

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depends on your location, honestly. I've worked at a number of stores and one was a decent environment purely because of the handful of good people I worked with there. The company itself always was a condescending, toxic presence no matter what.

Cons

Honestly, looking back on the 5+ years I worked for Earth Fare I'm going to have to write that there were no positive elements at all in any of the interactions I had with this company, period. You will only find value in the time invested by working here if you are as apathetic and keenly amoral to the ideas of integrity and personal honesty and accountability. I've seen store managers give important job positions to unskilled people they "know" only to learn they are actually their adderall supplier, mistress, boyfriend on the side, etc.. and even when this is well know after the fact, the manager will be promoted to an even higher position because "we know the guy.. he's really a good guy". Which usually means, he's the only one left because all the skilled, and professional people have fled the sinking ship. Earth Fare is the ghetto McDonalds of this whole "Healthy Grocery Store" boom that's already starting to bust. One store was overrunning with a rat and insect infestation in its back room, where the FOOD was stored. It remained like this for a year or more because they didn't want to spend the money to have the amount of service needed to completely eliminate the problem. A YEAR. Sound healthy to you? Do you really want to be in the thick of it when the bottom does fall out with an employer that can't pay it's debts, has no real business plan, no true vision, and is currently "run" by a CEO who was a Canadian Pharmaceutical mogul? How does that work exactly?

Advice to Management

Get out or at the very least, watch your back. You're swimming with sharks at this point and you're really not as smart as you think you are or really need to be, sadly. The hole is only going to get deeper and you're not going to get out anytime soon.

"Why?"

Current Employee - Employee in Ash, NC
    Current Employee - Employee in Ash, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good wholesome food available to customers. The employees at the store level are good people for the most part. Insurance and 401-K are ok, if eligible.

Cons

Why? Why cut hours so much that the work cannot be done that we are judged by? Are the CEO and top management totally out of control, out of touch with what they have created? This is a farce of a "Healthy Food Corporation". Sure, you have stacks of potential employees that can replace your current employees, but what does that mean? It means that the Corporate people in charge will exploit anybody for their personal gain. That's hypocrisy! I can not believe that these people actually believe in their business model, that cuts labor so much that we cannot do our jobs anymore. Their motivation is cruel and counter-productive.

Advice to Management

Forget your "bottom line". Your bottom is showing. Pay your employees a living wage. Respect us. Empower us. Share the wealth that we all create.Otherwise, you are shameful.

"Are employees a disposable resource now?"

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time

Pros

20% discount, great coworkers, insurance (if you can beg them into letting you be full-time)

Cons

Most companies have finally learned that paying their employees well makes for happy , productive, long-term employees and cuts down on the expenses of having constant turnover - and that consistent, knowledgeable workers will increase their sales. Earth Fare has surprisingly come to the conclusion that the opposite is better.

They have dropped the minimum pay to $8/hr. They have slashed the hours of all employees. Even long-term, full-time employees - employees that have worked there for years, have mortgages and kids - have been reduced to the bare minimum (just enough to not lose their insurance). How's that for repaying their years of service to the company? They don't care that these employees are having to get second jobs and subsidize their pay with their sick and vacation time...so now they're not getting a vacation at all.

And they even have a new slogan "Healthy Food For Everyone" - everyone except their employees who can not afford to shop there. Don't believe their hype during the interview process, that's all it is. If you expect a fair wage, go somewhere that will value what you bring to the table.

Advice to Management

Instead of investing your money in hiring more middle management that doesn't actually help out at the store level, invest in the the people that actually do the work.

Pay people a living wage. Do a better job training the employees that you do have. Consider it an investment in your bottom line. Instead, it looks like you're desperate to make your financials look good on paper at a glance. Is Earth Fare about to be sold?

"Horrible company"

Former Employee - Meechandiser in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Meechandiser in Asheville, NC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not a single one. I got out and found a better job. Really nothing good to say. Losers in life

Cons

Treat their employees like dirt. Don't pay their employees well and took weeks and weeks to get expenses paid. If they can save a nickel at your expense they will do so

Advice to Management

Learn what it means to actually lead and learn to appreciate and fairly compensate your team members and not use and abuse them for inferior pay

8. "Dept manager"

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Horrible company bad place to work

9. "Former cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Earth Fare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of a pro for woking here.

Cons

Only given part time, despite showing interest in being full time.
    Was told by store manage the company is affliated with Koch brothers.

Advice to Management

Give people reasons to stay. Like a livable wage and full time.

"Terribly Mismanaged"

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, at this point in the company's history, there aren't any.

Cons

They will overwork you and underpay you. Those who work hard tend to catch all the flack for those who don't.