Earth Fare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Frank Scorpiniti

Pros
Cons
  • No one reads this in upper management don't give a crap about you (in 31 reviews)

• Home office made decisions that didn't take into consideration how that would affect the customers and employees (in 28 reviews)

1. "Don't do it!"

Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best co-workers I've ever had.

Cons

I can't speak for every department but prepared foods/ deli is a nightmare. Broken equipment that never gets fixed or replaced. Always understaffed, my usual duties had me running the whole front line of pizza deli juice and coffee and bakery all while trying to figure out when I suppose to have time for production and cleaning and dishes. and unless you still have time to brown nose your boss it's still not good enough no matter how hard you try. Corperate is always making decisions without consideration to the employees, sometimes you will come in for a shift and all the sudden they sent out emails saying today is a bogo day and you haven't had any time to prep. Oh and even mcdonalds pays better.

2. "Only work here if you're starting out in the working world"

Former Employee - I Did A Lot of Things in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - I Did A Lot of Things in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of people to work with.
    If you're in school and not super dependent on money, it's a good place to work.
    If you like working in retail it's a good place to work and learn from your co-workers and customers.
    Employee discount is great.
    If you have the patience and skill sets they need, you can advance in the company.

Cons

Home office made decisions that didn't take into consideration how that would affect the customers and employees.
    Home office made many changes that were made suddenly and without a lot of forethought and often times, changed back or cancelled without warning, or made miniscule changes that took up a lot of time employees didn't have.
    The store would do well in sales, but home office would have store management cut department hours.
    Many employees worked full-time by working in more than one department and some were still on government assistance.
    I wasn't on government assistance, but I was full-time and did other work outside of the store.
    I was trained in 3 areas of the store and made less than $10/hour.

Advice to Management

You should work in a store full-time for 6 months to realize how your decisions are affecting your employees and customers. I don't think you realize the impact you're making.

"This company is a sinking death ship."

Former Employee - Hot Bar Day Chef in Fairlawn, OH
    Former Employee - Hot Bar Day Chef in Fairlawn, OH

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros were very few, it was close to home and occasional good grocery deals. It was nice working with some like minded people.

Cons

After the new CEO took over it went to crap. The "family" attitude changed to a corporate structure. They promoted a prejudiced, untalented manager to my department. This company is a sinking death ship.

Advice to Management

Workers like to see their managers "work" not just delegate their responsibilities to others. Plus sleep at home not in the office.

"Glad I Got Out"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Earth Fare (More than a year)

Pros

Cool concept and food philosophy, awesome products, employee discount, diverse and awesome coworkers, sick-time accrual, relaxed about time-off requests.

Cons

Terrible management that treated employees unprofessionally, lack of positive reinforcement, general employee malaise and unhappiness with work environment due to lack of pay/benefits and bad management.

Advice to Management

Stop gossiping, stop getting in employees personal affairs, be professional, be around to pay attention to the good things employees do instead of yelling at them and embarrassing them in front of other employees with they do one thing wrong that one time you happened to be paying attention.

5. "Not too bad"

Former Employee - Food Service Clerk in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Food Service Clerk in Columbus, OH

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most fellow employees were fun to work with. relatively flexible schedules

Cons

corporate really has no idea what they are doing. policies and procedures would change on a weekly basis. spent no money on advertising (in columbus at least) then blamed stores for drop in sales.

Advice to Management

your employees are people and deserve to be treated as such

"Cruel and misguided Business model"

Current Employee - Team Member in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Team Member in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Insurance is good. 20% discount. Good food philosophy from original owner. Vacation pay, sick pay are all standard for the industry.

Cons

A recent post said that Earth Fare has a" solid philosophy", and is "rapidly growing". They HAD a solid philosophy in the beginning and until recently when they hired some new people from BI-LO and Food Lion (Lyin'). What they are doing now is a mockery of the original vision of empowering the workers and the community at large through healthy food, and a healthy lifestyle. How can anyone say that it is an " industry leader" ? Of what, how to screw over your workers in hours, so that they expect the same work to be done in 30 to 40% less time? It's not working!
    There is not ample opportunity to grow, unless you want to move up to one of the few department manager positions, in, say Ohio, or some other state away from your family and friends, where you are likely to encounter the same internal politics, job dissatisfaction , crappy pay, and pressure from Corporate to defend their bull crap business model! I can feel the rule by fear and intimidation coming soon to a store near you!!
    Someone said that Earth Fare is a fast paced environment. Yeah, it's called rigged burnout! Those of us who have been working at Earth Fare for a while know that we cannot do the same work with the hours cut to the marrow the way they are now. It's a cruel insult and totally fly's in the face of the original owners intent for a healthy grocery company that by it's very name should treat the employees fairly. Why don't you just change it to Earth Unfair?, that would be more accurate! These new corporate jerks are suffering from toxic shame, which is all about being selfish and greedy in order to reward themselves, the board of directors, and the investors, not the employees who make up the majority and do most of the work that creates the wealth in the first place. It's an inverted business model that has not worked for the American workers for the last 40 years! It just perpetuates the myth of Capitalism as this great economic system, where there are " ample opportunities to grow". All jobs should pay a living wage Feel the Bern!!!
    Most of the employees are having to cash out their vacation pay in order to supplement their incomes because hours and payroll have been cut so much . That in and by itself is just wrong!

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers. Realize that what you are doing is cruel, and counter-productive.

"Kind of awful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairview Park, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairview Park, OH

I have been working at Earth Fare part-time

Pros

20% discount (but the prices are so high that it's still cheaper to shop elsewhere usually)
    Awesome food philosophy
    Most fellow employees are great people

Cons

I'm SO glad I don't work here full time and have to rely on this place as my sole source of income. I know others are not as fortunate. This place pays appallingly low for the amount of work expected from you, and hours are constantly being cut on top of that! I've been here for 6 months now, and I can name maybe 7 or 8 employees out of the whole store (who aren't managers) who were there when I started, because turnover is THAT high. I honestly don't see this company lasting much longer with the way things are headed.

Advice to Management

A quote from your most recent corporate visit: "It looks like no one works here!" implying that everything is dirty, unstocked, etc. is true! It looks like no one works here because you won't let them! You've slashed so many hours and underpaid so many people that they've left and their replacements know next to nothing about what they should be doing because they aren't getting the proper training they need in order to do their jobs.

"cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

I worked at Earth Fare part-time

Pros

great discount, twenty percent off. free day old or miss picked food. they donate foods to local food banks

Cons

hard to move up. they only want to hire part time so they don't have to give benefits. just another corporate greedy company

Advice to Management

not much room to advance unless someone quits. they don't even hire enough people as it is to function properly

"Hard work doesn't pay off"

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Earth Fare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

20% discount, organic food, cool coworkers, great for college student, no uniform

Cons

Works you like a dog, no raise, TOO MANY AUTO-SHIPS, TOO MANY COOPERATE VISITS, basically anyone can be a manager if you're a favorite, horrible pay, hours suck, uncleanliness in food service dpt.

Advice to Management

New CEO, managers need to learn how to be managers, cooperate needs to come off their high horse

"Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time

Pros

Location, people I work with, schedule, discount, healthy groceries

Cons

Pay, direction of the company, lack of hours to properly run departments, high turnover, lack of training for assistant managers and above, zero HR training company wide, corporate staff is not very knowledgable on how to properly deal with HR issues, corporate staff doesn't know how to interact with team members during a store visit (a simple "hello" or hand shake or even "thank you" goes a long way), there seems to be a Bi-Lo takeover (if you weren't from bi-lo you aren't getting a promotion), no incentive to stay with company anymore, all management positions have been filled from outside company for the last year instead of promoting from within, huge wage gap from Bi-Lo employees to existing Earth Fare management. The list can go on forever.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Thank them for their hard work and dedication. Treat them the way you would like to be treated. Invest in their growth. It is always rewarding to see the people you train succeed and go far!