EarthCon Consultants Reviews

Updated Oct 20, 2020

3.2
EarthCon Consultants President & CEO Earl H. Scott (no image)
Earl H. Scott
  1. "EarthCon Review"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at EarthCon Consultants full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible hours; lots of opportunities to work on a variety of projects; you can control your career path; great people to work with that want you to succeed.

Cons

Smaller company so insurance costs are going to be higher than the bigger companies.

January 22, 2018CEO

I wanted to address the advice you gave us on mentoring and social media. Mentoring is an area where we can always improve. We have a very well defined career path for technical, administration and leadership positions but I still don't think we do enough to communicate that to employees. In particular, each employee in their annual performance review should go over where they are in their career, which position they aspire to and the development of those skills and experience that will get you there. As to social media, we have been far more active in this area with the work that Shannon Scott has been doing. However, we rely on our employees to share good news with her so she can post it. Finally, we are in the process of "blowing up" our current website and hope to roll out the new site some time this year. I am very excited about this initiative and if employees have suggestions we would love to hear from you. Contact Shannon and let her know what you are thinking.

2. "Good Conpany"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Environmental Technician in Amarillo, TX

I worked at EarthCon Consultants full-time for more than a year

Pros

Professional, staff is friendly, good opportunities

Cons

Low clothing stipend, long hours

Continue reading

"Not a Good Place to Work"

1.0
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at EarthCon Consultants full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people in the office were pleasant

Cons

Not for recent graduates unless you have a large customer base to call on.

October 28, 2019CEO

This is a very mystifying review. We never have an expectation that recent graduates would either bring work to the company or be expected to focus on marketing and sales. Recent graduates are expected to focus on building their technical skills and we have specific training and mentoring programs to provide them with a path to grow in their career. Senior personnel are expected to participate in marketing and sales activities as they have the depth and breadth of experience and expertise that clients are seeking. Less experienced personnel do their part by excellent technical work, good communication and sending a positive signal to our clients that they are supported by the rest of the team.EarthCon is very focused on growing the engineering side of the business where we believe there is tremendous potential for growth. This is a great place for engineers right out of school to begin their careers and we highly value them being part of the EarthCon family. What is equally mystifying with this review is that we have had no less experienced engineers leave the company in a very long time so we're really unsure where this is coming from.

4. "A great place to work! Come join our team."

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Geologist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at EarthCon Consultants full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Get to work with Great clients & co-workers. The ability to work on very interesting projects and come up with innovative solutions in a team setting. Small company with all the benefits of a large company. Independence. Management support for new ideas; innovative thinking is rewarded.

Cons

Can't really think of any.

January 22, 2018CEO

Thank you for this review. We really appreciate all the hard work and innovation that comes out of the Memphis office. You have a great team in Memphis and I enjoy every visit with this dynamic group of professionals.

5. "Scientist"

2.0

I worked at EarthCon Consultants full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally good people to work with.

Cons

Step over a dollar to pick up a dime..... no real initiative to invest in employees, definitely a "we can replace you" mentality. Owners seem to spend the profit from the company.

January 22, 2018CEO

This is a very distressing review for a variety of reasons. It is obvious that we failed this employee and that our internal communication is not effective. We value highly all our employees and it is obvious we failed with this one. Over the last several years we have returned at least 30% of the profits of the company in the form of a contribution to our employee's 401(k) accounts. We have also funded salary increases despite not being on plan. However, we tend to allocate salary increases based on performance and not across the board. This can sometimes create hard feelings but we believe strongly in rewarding hard work and results as this seems fair to us and a core value of the company. It is also the case that the only dividends paid to the shareholders for the last several years has been to pay Federal taxes. We have no choice but to pay taxes and other than that there have been no dividends paid on a discretionary basis. All the remaining profits are held internally to run the company and reduce the cost of borrowing from our operating line of credit.

"Environmental Technician"

1.0
    Former Employee - Environmental Technician

I worked at EarthCon Consultants full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very few pros you get to work independently

Cons

Terrible communication throughout the office, project managers throw work on you with no type of notice and you have to travel. No proper working tools for the jobs, cut lots of corners on their remediation systems to try an keep them running and expect their technicians to solve all the problems. Low pay, company vehicles in very poor shape an undependable. Must have so much billable time every week but in some cases there is no work and you are forced to use your vacation. No room for growth and absolutely no training run from these guys

February 20, 2017CEO

I really hate to see reviews like this because they do not reflect either our values or our core belief about the importance of every employee to our continued success. There is no doubt that being an environmental technician is a very challenging job and often last minute assignments do come up. But to the extent this is a systemic problem I will make sure we address it. I have to admit that this is the first time I have heard of these issues with our technicians and my door is always open to constructive criticism so I wish I had gotten this feedback while this individual was still on board and we would have acted. We have a very defined track for the growth of technicians. One example, one of our stellar technicians in our Houston office was promoted to a leadership position and has done a fantastic job. Another example is a technician that was recently promoted to a staff scientist. This individual already had a Bachelors degree which allowed us to implement this promotion. But by virtue of the limitations of this career choice there are only so many of these positions available unless the individual gets additional academic training. I am also mystified by the lack of billable time as our technicians are usually very busy working on technically challenging and important projects. Far too often technical personnel that don't have the confidence of the project managers tend to struggle to stay billable. Regardless of the circumstances, I will address this review with our leadership team and we will look at ways to improve the lives of our technicians.

"Talent Director"

4.0

I worked at EarthCon Consultants full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent management and culture. Ethical, business-focused. Good leadership. One of the best firms in their industry.

Cons

Advancement potential somewhat limited because of firm's size. Compensation at the lower end of competitive.

8. "Senior Geologist"

I have been working at EarthCon Consultants

Pros

In general, a great group of folks to work with.

Cons

Marketing assistance from corporate is non-existent.

June 14, 2016CEO

Thank you for your sharing your thoughts about EarthCon and your comment about the corporate marketing function. This is an area of business that we and all companies in our industry struggle with finding the right balance. As you know, in response to the challenges we faced in 2015 we were unable to justify a number of corporate functions and no doubt some of the changes impacted our marketing and sales program. As with all our corporate functions we benchmark the funds invested against our competitor peer group. As a percentage of net revenue, our corporate marketing and sales costs were significantly above the average. The changes we made last year put us more in line with where the costs should be but we are still well above the industry average. We maintain one full time and one part time sales person at the corporate level. In addition, the senior leadership allocates a significant portion of their time to marketing and sales activities. It is a big part of our jobs and we take that very seriously. At the same time, there is no doubt that we have high expectations for our operating units when it comes to a sustained, organized and effective marketing and sales program. In this regard we are no different than most firms in our industry. Having said all that, our business plan for 2016 includes additional marketing and sales support and we hope that the great year we are currently having will continue so we can make this investment.

"Former Employee"

I have been working at EarthCon Consultants

Pros

Some really good people at this firm. The CEO is a very genuine and well respected person, you can tell he really cares about his people.

Cons

They hire way more people than they have work for. There is a constant push to hire hire hire, even if the workload does not support it. Also, there is a lot of favoritism. Some people get good projects and plently of work, while others get projects with unrealistic budgets where you are forced to work overtime and can't bill your hours. All depends on who likes you and who doesn't. Also, there is not much cooperation with other offices. If you say anything, you will be pushed out. There is no real in-house qualified HR person or other confidential source you can go to for help.

April 12, 2016CEO

I am grateful for this honest feedback and recognize the issue with inefficient allocation of work. Over the last three years EarthCon has booked over $6M more in new project work than we have executed. It is always a challenge in our industry to be 100% efficient in allocating work from locations with more than they can handle to others with capacity. Sometimes it is a function of the skills needed to complete the work at hand and other times it is the natural tendency to hold onto work for a rainy day or defer to local personnel to execute it. At EarthCon we constantly promote a culture of cooperation and it is distressing to read comments that we have fallen short. I will share this feedback with our leadership team and challenge them to walk the talk about cooperation and sharing work. As for our focus on hiring, that is indeed our current mantra although if you look at the results we have actually added very few FTE's over the last two years. When you combine the turnover with our hiring we have grown at a modest pace. And our main hiring focus is at the technician. staff and project level. We have a sufficient number of seniors and Principals to support additional staff and the work to keep them busy. However, it is more challenging for new hires at a senior level to get busy, especially if they don't have a practice. This feedback has been very helpful to me and I will take it to heart and share it with our leadership. I never want to see negative comments from former employees but we learn a lot from them and try our best to respond in a positive way.

"Great Ideas. Poor Execution"

I worked at EarthCon Consultants full-time

Pros

With mid to senior level people located all around the US and Canada, EarthCon has the ability to meet your clients' needs 90% of the time.

Cons

Too heavy with Vice Presidents and upper level salaries. EarthCon has some great vision and ideas for creating a great work place and business bonus program. But with the high end salaries it has to carry, the cash flow is very TOP-Heavy. Employees who are loyal and sacrifice for the company and clients do not get rewarded do to the lack of cash flow.

July 22, 2014CEO

What is obvious to me is this review was by a former employee that has left with some negative feelings toward EarthCon and I take this very seriously. There is no doubt we have deficiencies as do all companies. When we hear constructive criticism we do our best to respond and make adjustments because we value our employees greatly as they are clearly our greatest asset. As with other comments about EarthCon I will take this one to heart and will do my best to consider it in our planning and execution of the business. One of the areas at EarthCon that we take pride in is our flat organizational structure and our below industry average overhead costs as a percentage of our net revenue. We benchmark this yearly with our peer group and have always been in the bottom third. Is there room for improvement? Always. But these attributes have allowed us to remain in a very strong cash flow position despite the general economic environment in which we operate. At EarthCon we have very few vice presidents but all either work directly with clients and/or bill time to projects, including me. Our mantra has always been to have an external focus and every single senior member of our leadership team has external responsibilities, including marketing and sales, technical work for clients, making presentations at conferences, etc. On a final note, we do indeed believe that our three pillars of success are our employees, clients and company. Each have to exist and be successful for us to provide a platform for our employees to serve their clients. While I understand the sentiment that if you take care of the employee and client pillars the company will take care of itself but that has not been my experience in my 25+ years in the business. All of them are important. Taken to the extreme we could work for our clients for free, which would certainly be a benefit to them (for a while anyway). Or we could pay our employees significantly higher than the industry competitive salaries that we currently pay and that would be beneficial for the employee, again for a while. But both of those actions, even to a lesser extent would mean we would no longer exist as a company. The point of our emphasis on the three pillars is to consider each in our decision making and do our best to find the right balance. I recognize that at times one of the pillars will benefit more than the others because it is not a perfect world.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 English Reviews