EarthLink Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
EarthLink President & CEO Joseph Eazor
Joseph Eazor

Pros
Cons
  • No respect from upper management- you are just a number (in 25 reviews)

• low pay with little to no yearly raise, pto is awful, no flex time (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good Company in Transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Current management team is committed to success. The people at EarthLink care about the customer and employee experience.

Cons

Pending merger is diluting the focus, energy and resources. Need to maintain focus

Advice to Management

Set a solid, definitive direction with specific short term goals through the merger. Be as transparent as possible to employees, especially the ones you want to retain and nurture.

"IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Work from home, experienced and committed co-workers.

Cons

Company trying to reinvent, limited funding for projects, territory legacy division leaders holding up progress. In desperate need to merge systems to operate efficiently.

Advice to Management

Drop the dead weight if you want to survive.

"Inside Sales Acquistions- DON'T DO IT!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Inside Sales Manager is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and I had the pleasure of meeting some really smart and talented people. The acquisition by Windstream will hopefully save those associated with this sinking company.

Cons

I don't think EarthLink as a whole is plagued by these issues, so please only relate my comments to the Mid-Market/ Enterprise Inside Sales team. The team is not performing, and the fate of the team seems to be very dim.
    Let's start from the beginning. While interviewing, I was told that there is a Sales Development Representative team working to generate leads for the inside sales team. While the SDR team works to generate leads, it's not for the inside sales team. You are expected to make a minimum of number of calls per day with the company providing an average number of contacts that's less than 1 day's of expected activities on a monthly basis.
    If I said this team is under-performing, that would be an understatement. The current team has been around since February. (After starting, I found that this is actually the second iteration of this team.) The VP of Inside Sales was given a lofty goal for the first year of this team. The team has essentially sold nothing, and the annual achievement isn't a drop in the bucket of that original goal. As sales people, no one aims to solely live off the base. Don't expect to have any commissions, because there aren't any sales to earn commissions.
    The latest offering is being positioned as the next, big thing, and the saving grace for this team. While the team is setting appointments for this solution, those prospects who bother to show up don't exactly see the benefit or value, and EarthLink certainly isn't up to par with the value proposition and marketing.
    Though we're 10 months post this team starting, upper management will find every reason to explain why the team isn't performing besides the real reason which is all of the tools he's invested in for the team to be successful hasn't helped one iota. The call and email management tool, call recording solution, and flat screen televisions are pointless if the team doesn't have enough qualified leads to call on. Never have I worked for a company that is so reluctant and simply deaf to the suggestions of those who are doing the job on a day-to-day basis.
    Speaking of upper management, he rarely interacts with the inside sales team, and if you aren't actively working a deal, don't expect him to interact with you at all. I will say that he is very excited to interact with the team when activity numbers aren't where they should be, and when he does, it's done in a very condescending way. He won't look you in the eyes when he speaks to you. Yeah...that tells you everything you need to know about him.
    The bottom line is they over-promised and under-delivered. If you are considering a position with the inside sales team, I would reconsider if making money is your thing.

Advice to Management

Stop passing the buck off as the team isn't performing, because activity is inconsistent. For months, activity was high as well as morale, and no sales were made. Take an introspective look at yourself and realize that things aren't where they should be, because you refuse to acknowledge the plan you laid out and tools you put in place have failed.

5. "Trying to get it right..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Some really good people but management does not know what they want to be. Network, Managed Services, Telephones?

Cons

Just this year they divested the Managed Services division, bought Boston Retail Partners and then announced the sale to Windstream. It's tough to stay focused when they can't decide on what / who they want to be.

Advice to Management

Have a goal / vision and stick to it.

"Beware! Beware! Beware! Don't waste your time.."

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some really nice people that will be life long friends. That is the only positive take away from my experience with EarthLink.

Cons

The Business Development Manager role for inside sales sucks.The department is a start up division and the Director and Onsite Managers are clueless on how to make it a functional revenue producing department. The hiring managers are very misleading and deceitful during the interview process, This department has been operational for over a year and there has been only ONE BDM that has made a sale and NO ONE is making commissions. The company doesn't provide structured training, they hire you as an Salary employee only to find out later that you have to punch a clock and you're actually an hourly employee that inputs time sheets daily. The bonus program is design around a 30 day quota metric. However, the average sales deals take between 6-9 months to be established only to be loss to the competition due to pricing and installation issues. The company hasn't made any attempt whatsoever to rebrand itself in the Managed Network Services arena. The average customer only remembers EarthLink as an ISP of the early 90's and has no clue that it is still in existence. The recent acquisition of EarthLink by its competitor Windstream may led to improvements in some areas but both companies showed little to no growth within the market. With that being said I would not recommend this position to any seasoned, accomplished sales professional, it will be a big waste of your time and skill set.

Advice to Management

Invest in a professional marketing company in order to strengthen the brand. It's a shame that EarthLink is headquartered in Atlanta Ga and no one in Atlanta knows it is still in business. Hire a experienced call center director and Manager to establish a productive department that produces results. Listen to employee input.

"Classless, clueless with fools for leaders."

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I did work with some amazing people. All the good people are gone at the hand of toxic culture. This is a difficult section to fill out comfortably. This company seems to just muddle along.

Cons

Egocentric and clueless upper level managment

Weak commissions that may or may not payout

Weak sales engineers

No clear vision or direction

Weak benefits

Advice to Management

Grow up and engage.

8. "Senior Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly Management and Team Enviroment

Cons

No Cons that I felt were serious except closed branch I worked in

Advice to Management

I think it was a very nice place to work

"Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Corporate Travel Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Corporate Travel Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome group of people to work with, great pay, laid back company culture, great work/life balance, excellent leadership team, OK benefits.

Cons

There are no cons as far as I'm concerned. I enjoyed working for ELNK and wish them the best.

10. "Good company to work for"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EarthLink as a contractor

Pros

Professional but relaxed atmosphere makes it a joy to go to work.
    Most positions are flexible for working at home or in the office.

Cons

Our IT department for employee assistance is in India, so you have to call overseas for help.

11. "Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EarthLink (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some remote work, depending on position and management,

Cons

High health insurance, no room for growth.