EarthLink Reviews | Glassdoor

EarthLink President & CEO Joseph Eazor
Joseph Eazor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Out of touch upper management, likely due to the large amounts of turnover and reorganizations at the Director (in 26 reviews)

• The company has earned a bad reputation for customer service and product delivery (in 11 reviews)

1. "Unprofessional Management"

I worked at EarthLink full-time

Pros

They kept the core people when we were bought out.

Cons

Management has no clue. Sent a QA person to act as a liaison for a major client and she was clueless, unprofessional and the client refused to deal with her. She messed up a few careers of she during like them.

Advice to Management

Hire people who have a clue about managing

2. "Too much stress for too little pay"

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family like atmosphere-free coffee-good amount of Leave provided. It said I had to type 20 words so I'm typing this as no other pros to work here

Cons

No respect from upper management- you are just a number. The pay is not comparable to other companies. Fewer people due to previous layoffs just meant more work and stress put on remaining employees with no compensation. No flexibility with work hours.

Advice to Management

Too far gone- if you haven't already lost all the dedicated employees- you will. Either by your own stupidity in layoffs or the employees not being able to take it any longer and leaving.

3. "Back to being a telecom"

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Earthlink in 2011 promised a bright future as a company braking out of its shell to become an Internet company.

Cons

Earthlink in 2014 went back to being a 2nd ranked telecom provider and was eventually be bought by Windstream in 2015.

Advice to Management

Go home.

4. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Clay, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Clay, NY

I worked at EarthLink (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good insurance and work at home option for many positions.

Cons

Unable to effectively process orders in a timely manner. Many conference calls with a number of people to process a customer that has a network order and a cloud order.

Advice to Management

Add resources

"Inside Sales Acquistions- DON'T DO IT!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Inside Sales Manager is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and I had the pleasure of meeting some really smart and talented people. The acquisition by Windstream will hopefully save those associated with this sinking company.

Cons

I don't think EarthLink as a whole is plagued by these issues, so please only relate my comments to the Mid-Market/ Enterprise Inside Sales team. The team is not performing, and the fate of the team seems to be very dim.
    Let's start from the beginning. While interviewing, I was told that there is a Sales Development Representative team working to generate leads for the inside sales team. While the SDR team works to generate leads, it's not for the inside sales team. You are expected to make a minimum of number of calls per day with the company providing an average number of contacts that's less than 1 day's of expected activities on a monthly basis.
    If I said this team is under-performing, that would be an understatement. The current team has been around since February. (After starting, I found that this is actually the second iteration of this team.) The VP of Inside Sales was given a lofty goal for the first year of this team. The team has essentially sold nothing, and the annual achievement isn't a drop in the bucket of that original goal. As sales people, no one aims to solely live off the base. Don't expect to have any commissions, because there aren't any sales to earn commissions.
    The latest offering is being positioned as the next, big thing, and the saving grace for this team. While the team is setting appointments for this solution, those prospects who bother to show up don't exactly see the benefit or value, and EarthLink certainly isn't up to par with the value proposition and marketing.
    Though we're 10 months post this team starting, upper management will find every reason to explain why the team isn't performing besides the real reason which is all of the tools he's invested in for the team to be successful hasn't helped one iota. The call and email management tool, call recording solution, and flat screen televisions are pointless if the team doesn't have enough qualified leads to call on. Never have I worked for a company that is so reluctant and simply deaf to the suggestions of those who are doing the job on a day-to-day basis.
    Speaking of upper management, he rarely interacts with the inside sales team, and if you aren't actively working a deal, don't expect him to interact with you at all. I will say that he is very excited to interact with the team when activity numbers aren't where they should be, and when he does, it's done in a very condescending way. He won't look you in the eyes when he speaks to you. Yeah...that tells you everything you need to know about him.
    The bottom line is they over-promised and under-delivered. If you are considering a position with the inside sales team, I would reconsider if making money is your thing.

Advice to Management

Stop passing the buck off as the team isn't performing, because activity is inconsistent. For months, activity was high as well as morale, and no sales were made. Take an introspective look at yourself and realize that things aren't where they should be, because you refuse to acknowledge the plan you laid out and tools you put in place have failed.

"Beware! Beware! Beware! Don't waste your time.."

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some really nice people that will be life long friends. That is the only positive take away from my experience with EarthLink.

Cons

The Business Development Manager role for inside sales sucks.The department is a start up division and the Director and Onsite Managers are clueless on how to make it a functional revenue producing department. The hiring managers are very misleading and deceitful during the interview process, This department has been operational for over a year and there has been only ONE BDM that has made a sale and NO ONE is making commissions. The company doesn't provide structured training, they hire you as an Salary employee only to find out later that you have to punch a clock and you're actually an hourly employee that inputs time sheets daily. The bonus program is design around a 30 day quota metric. However, the average sales deals take between 6-9 months to be established only to be loss to the competition due to pricing and installation issues. The company hasn't made any attempt whatsoever to rebrand itself in the Managed Network Services arena. The average customer only remembers EarthLink as an ISP of the early 90's and has no clue that it is still in existence. The recent acquisition of EarthLink by its competitor Windstream may led to improvements in some areas but both companies showed little to no growth within the market. With that being said I would not recommend this position to any seasoned, accomplished sales professional, it will be a big waste of your time and skill set.

Advice to Management

Invest in a professional marketing company in order to strengthen the brand. It's a shame that EarthLink is headquartered in Atlanta Ga and no one in Atlanta knows it is still in business. Hire a experienced call center director and Manager to establish a productive department that produces results. Listen to employee input.

"EarthLink Primarily Blows."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, pay. Remote worker = OK.

Cons

Constant change in strategy. Constant change in leadership.

Advice to Management

Stick to the plan so your teams can actually execute and see things come to fruition.

"Classless, clueless with fools for leaders."

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I did work with some amazing people. All the good people are gone at the hand of toxic culture. This is a difficult section to fill out comfortably. This company seems to just muddle along.

Cons

Egocentric and clueless upper level managment

Weak commissions that may or may not payout

Weak sales engineers

No clear vision or direction

Weak benefits

Advice to Management

Grow up and engage.

9. "Weak Brand"

Pros

The office location is nice and their is free leftover breakfast/lunch often

Cons

False promises during the interview process, nothing has turned out as it was originally portrayed.

Advice to Management

Keep it real and show more enthusiasm in your employees

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in West Covina, CA

I worked at EarthLink (Less than a year)

Pros

Work environment was great. Co-workers were professional

Cons

Declining revenue and unstable future. Long term future is in doubt

Advice to Management

Communicate better with workforce. Standard platitudes given but nothing of real substance