EarthLink Reviews | Glassdoor

EarthLink President & CEO Joseph Eazor
Joseph Eazor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Out of touch upper management, likely due to the large amounts of turnover and reorganizations at the Director (in 26 reviews)

• As sales people, no one aims to solely live off the base (in 9 reviews)

1. "Average to slightly below average"

Former Employee - Finance Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Finance Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and short term retention incentives to keep key employees at a struggling company.

Cons

No growth company. Cash from very profitable internet business was invested in acquisitions and growth plan that never materialized.

Advice to Management

Give cash back to shareholders or sell off telecom business, don't throw it away on no-growth acquisitions.

2. "Senior Manager"

I worked at EarthLink full-time

Pros

Hard working individual contributors. Overall great vision just bad execution.

Cons

Very weak Management and Leadership

3. "Legacy ....."

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great folks, good pay, good benefits. used to be great please to work

Cons

new Sr. Level management with new industry knowledge. Windstream merger

4. "Senior Sales Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Orange, CA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small Company, good salary, standard benefits

Cons

You are only a number, not valued for what you can contribute

Advice to Management

Don't play politics when dealing with people's employment lives

5. "Background Checks"

Former Employee - SAE in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - SAE in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Good money, and benefits. Great work location, and decent set of products.

Cons

They don't know how to read background checks, and will fire you based off of background errors

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to dispute the background checks before taking action and denying its the reason you don't hire, or get rid of your top producers.

"Definition of insanity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at EarthLink (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with directly are a great asset to Earthlink and are what keep the company moving forward, even with the decisions that keep being made. They are the most dedicated, outside-the-box problem-solvers I have ever had the pleasure of working with so far in my career, and for those that have already left Earthlink I hope to work with them again in the future.

Cons

Note: The below points are my personal opinions of how things are at Earthlink and should not be taken as anything other than that.

1. Too custom of a company - when every customer's network is a one-off build that cannot be properly documented or tracked in your ordering systems, you're going to run into problems like we do today.

2. Lack of documentation and concrete processes - documentation seems to be a dirty word in this company, as it is rarely provided or is so out-of-date it references systems that no longer exist. As for the lack of processes, I guess not having a process is a process in itself, but it provides no structure to allow for being able to consistently recreate a result. The "no process" process also makes it so that when those individuals that do learn all the variations of the process leave the company, their successors have a steep learning curve to maintain workflow.

3. Escalate! Escalate! ESCALATE! - this is a favorite of management to get work done. An order can stall in the Sales side of the house for anywhere from 2-8 months while the Sales team works on getting initial order info from the customer. But with one phone call from a customer to the right VP, the time table shrinks to less than one week to verify and provision orders, build out the network and configure/ship devices to the customer's locations so they can get turned up by the end of the week. And the escalation process isn't just for the highest-paying customers either - a simple 3 site network will follow this pattern just as much as a 300 site network. So come prepared to be dumped on, unless you're at the top of the hill.

4. Lack of career options - Earthlink will only hire certain positions out of certain regions of the USA. So if you want to be in the Engineering department but you're not based out of the Atlanta or Rochester regions, you are going to need to apply outside of the company to perform that sort of work.

5. Lack of training - The company is afraid of training techs to do their jobs properly, and when asked confronted about it management has been quoted as saying "we're tired of training techs for them to learn from us and then leave for our competition." So now they offer a "trial by fire" training style, where work is assigned to a new tech and they have to bounce around asking senior techs how to do their work until they do it enough times to work on their own (mileage varies heavily in this process.)

Advice to Management

My advice is this - get your act together! Become consistent in how things are done and stop deviating from it just because you think you can squeeze an extra $50/month from a customer by setting up an unsupportable network design. You need to sell products and services that EVERYONE in the company understands and knows how to fully support, and leave all of the custom work to your Pro Services department ONLY. Or, let the customer go to another company that's setup to handle those custom cases and let them come back to us once they realize we do it better than almost everyone else for the prices we charge.

If you really want to save the company and keep it moving in a positive direction, stop looking for that magic product or service you could sell that all the customers can't live without - you've been looking for at least 6 years now and still haven't found it, because it doesn't exist!

Yes, SD-WAN is a cool new technology that's just coming on the scene, and yes Earthlink stands to earn a chunk of that business if they can do it right. But while the SD-WAN product itself is rock solid, your internal processes need a severe overhaul to get where they need to be to make it a great product, both for customers to use and for your support teams to manage.

Another area to look into is to find and retain some talented programmers who are capable of building in-house tools using open-source languages so that they can help streamline and automate processes to remove as many manual touch-points as they can. Putting more people into a process should never even be mentioned as a solution with today's technology!

7. "Unfortunate"

I worked at EarthLink full-time

Pros

Convenient location, great with work/life balance depending on your department. Most of the people were friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Depending on your department the pay did not always balance the stress level. The decision makers for policy and procedure do not typically have knowledge of the day to day activity of the job. Not easy to advance.

"Earthlink"

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

Pros

Not sure if I can think of any. Trying to move to data from telecom. Not working the way the had hoped.

Cons

Company is now a penny stock. You should probably stay away. They are sinking fast and I don't know that they will be able to turn it around.

Advice to Management

Focus on your core strengths, if you want to get into a new biz unit, commit fully, be transparent and put resources behind it

9. "order entry"

Former Employee - Order Entry Specialist Telecommunication in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Order Entry Specialist Telecommunication in Rochester, NY

I worked at EarthLink (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of orders to enter into the systems.

Cons

Not able to prioritize what should be done first.

Advice to Management

Get organized

"Client Account Manager"

Current Employee - Client Account Manager in Penfield, NY
    Current Employee - Client Account Manager in Penfield, NY

I have been working at EarthLink (Less than a year)

Pros

- Culture and Freedom. Very nice people to work with and for. Ideas are welcomed by senior management.

- Operate as your own small business owner. Having to manage over 300 accounts is challenging but you have the freedom to manage your business as you want.

Cons

- Minimal training and on-boarding process. All training is done through computer based modules that don't offer much value

- Quota's are high, less and less account managers are hitting quota and is most cases aren't coming close which leads to very little commission payout.

- We aren't very competitive in the market right now in terms of offering cost effective bandwidth services.

- Promotion opportunities are minimal

Advice to Management

For those who don't have a Telecom experience, it will take you at least 6 months to feel comfortable since there isn't much training on product base.