EarthLink Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 6, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Out of touch upper management, likely due to the large amounts of turnover and reorganizations at the Director (in 26 reviews)

• The company has earned a bad reputation for customer service and product delivery (in 11 reviews)

"Beware! Beware! Beware! Don't waste your time.."

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some really nice people that will be life long friends. That is the only positive take away from my experience with EarthLink.

Cons

The Business Development Manager role for inside sales sucks.The department is a start up division and the Director and Onsite Managers are clueless on how to make it a functional revenue producing department. The hiring managers are very misleading and deceitful during the interview process, This department has been operational for over a year and there has been only ONE BDM that has made a sale and NO ONE is making commissions. The company doesn't provide structured training, they hire you as an Salary employee only to find out later that you have to punch a clock and you're actually an hourly employee that inputs time sheets daily. The bonus program is design around a 30 day quota metric. However, the average sales deals take between 6-9 months to be established only to be loss to the competition due to pricing and installation issues. The company hasn't made any attempt whatsoever to rebrand itself in the Managed Network Services arena. The average customer only remembers EarthLink as an ISP of the early 90's and has no clue that it is still in existence. The recent acquisition of EarthLink by its competitor Windstream may led to improvements in some areas but both companies showed little to no growth within the market. With that being said I would not recommend this position to any seasoned, accomplished sales professional, it will be a big waste of your time and skill set.

Advice to Management

Invest in a professional marketing company in order to strengthen the brand. It's a shame that EarthLink is headquartered in Atlanta Ga and no one in Atlanta knows it is still in business. Hire a experienced call center director and Manager to establish a productive department that produces results. Listen to employee input.

"Classless, clueless with fools for leaders."

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I did work with some amazing people. All the good people are gone at the hand of toxic culture. This is a difficult section to fill out comfortably. This company seems to just muddle along.

Cons

Egocentric and clueless upper level managment

Weak commissions that may or may not payout

Weak sales engineers

No clear vision or direction

Weak benefits

Advice to Management

Grow up and engage.

3. "Background Checks"

Former Employee - SAE in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - SAE in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Good money, and benefits. Great work location, and decent set of products.

Cons

They don't know how to read background checks, and will fire you based off of background errors

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to dispute the background checks before taking action and denying its the reason you don't hire, or get rid of your top producers.

4. "Take a serious look at EarthLink"

Current Employee - Account Director in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Director in Tampa, FL

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Focused leadership,Fair compensation, Professional leadership, Focused vision, leading business model that is not CLEC based but rather consultative.

Cons

Need to continue to spread the word to the business community that ELNK is not a telco. Continue to work on improving. Brand awareness.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on this direction that Joe Easor has put in place. Don't change course every year like telcos do.

EarthLink Response

Oct 18, 2016 – Communications Manager

Thank you for the review! Our Marketing team is hard at work on a plan to reinforce the brand in 2017. Stay tuned!

5. "Trouble Res Tech II"

Current Employee - Trouble Res Tech II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Trouble Res Tech II in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You learn how to use a lot of tools and are exposed to a lot of different customers.

Cons

You do have to deal with irate people sometimes.

EarthLink Response

Oct 18, 2016 – Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience at EarthLink! We are glad that you have had a fulfilling experience. LinkU has a training course on managing difficult conversations that might be helpful. Also... More

6. "Senior Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly Management and Team Enviroment

Cons

No Cons that I felt were serious except closed branch I worked in

Advice to Management

I think it was a very nice place to work

"Definition of insanity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at EarthLink (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with directly are a great asset to Earthlink and are what keep the company moving forward, even with the decisions that keep being made. They are the most dedicated, outside-the-box problem-solvers I have ever had the pleasure of working with so far in my career, and for those that have already left Earthlink I hope to work with them again in the future.

Cons

Note: The below points are my personal opinions of how things are at Earthlink and should not be taken as anything other than that.

1. Too custom of a company - when every customer's network is a one-off build that cannot be properly documented or tracked in your ordering systems, you're going to run into problems like we do today.

2. Lack of documentation and concrete processes - documentation seems to be a dirty word in this company, as it is rarely provided or is so out-of-date it references systems that no longer exist. As for the lack of processes, I guess not having a process is a process in itself, but it provides no structure to allow for being able to consistently recreate a result. The "no process" process also makes it so that when those individuals that do learn all the variations of the process leave the company, their successors have a steep learning curve to maintain workflow.

3. Escalate! Escalate! ESCALATE! - this is a favorite of management to get work done. An order can stall in the Sales side of the house for anywhere from 2-8 months while the Sales team works on getting initial order info from the customer. But with one phone call from a customer to the right VP, the time table shrinks to less than one week to verify and provision orders, build out the network and configure/ship devices to the customer's locations so they can get turned up by the end of the week. And the escalation process isn't just for the highest-paying customers either - a simple 3 site network will follow this pattern just as much as a 300 site network. So come prepared to be dumped on, unless you're at the top of the hill.

4. Lack of career options - Earthlink will only hire certain positions out of certain regions of the USA. So if you want to be in the Engineering department but you're not based out of the Atlanta or Rochester regions, you are going to need to apply outside of the company to perform that sort of work.

5. Lack of training - The company is afraid of training techs to do their jobs properly, and when asked confronted about it management has been quoted as saying "we're tired of training techs for them to learn from us and then leave for our competition." So now they offer a "trial by fire" training style, where work is assigned to a new tech and they have to bounce around asking senior techs how to do their work until they do it enough times to work on their own (mileage varies heavily in this process.)

Advice to Management

My advice is this - get your act together! Become consistent in how things are done and stop deviating from it just because you think you can squeeze an extra $50/month from a customer by setting up an unsupportable network design. You need to sell products and services that EVERYONE in the company understands and knows how to fully support, and leave all of the custom work to your Pro Services department ONLY. Or, let the customer go to another company that's setup to handle those custom cases and let them come back to us once they realize we do it better than almost everyone else for the prices we charge.

If you really want to save the company and keep it moving in a positive direction, stop looking for that magic product or service you could sell that all the customers can't live without - you've been looking for at least 6 years now and still haven't found it, because it doesn't exist!

Yes, SD-WAN is a cool new technology that's just coming on the scene, and yes Earthlink stands to earn a chunk of that business if they can do it right. But while the SD-WAN product itself is rock solid, your internal processes need a severe overhaul to get where they need to be to make it a great product, both for customers to use and for your support teams to manage.

Another area to look into is to find and retain some talented programmers who are capable of building in-house tools using open-source languages so that they can help streamline and automate processes to remove as many manual touch-points as they can. Putting more people into a process should never even be mentioned as a solution with today's technology!

8. "order entry"

Former Employee - Order Entry Specialist Telecommunication in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Order Entry Specialist Telecommunication in Rochester, NY

I worked at EarthLink (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of orders to enter into the systems.

Cons

Not able to prioritize what should be done first.

Advice to Management

Get organized

"Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Corporate Travel Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Corporate Travel Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome group of people to work with, great pay, laid back company culture, great work/life balance, excellent leadership team, OK benefits.

Cons

There are no cons as far as I'm concerned. I enjoyed working for ELNK and wish them the best.

10. "Great company to be a part of"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

This is a good company to work for. They do care about their employees and the development of their skills as well.

Cons

Jobs internally are limited. We lose good people to competitors due to money