EasCare Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "EMT-B"

Current Employee - Emergency Medical Technician in Bridgewater, MA
    Current Employee - Emergency Medical Technician in Bridgewater, MA

I have been working at EasCare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people you work with, hours aren't too bad; The starting pay is higher than most companies. we just got bought out by Brewster

Cons

They cut the 12 and 24 hour shifts forcing you to work more days a week. We have lost some good contracts

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and bring back the 12 hour shifts. Also make sure people fuel and wash the trucks and things stay stocked up. you got to be on top of your employees

2. "Great stepping stone company"

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Boston, MA

I have been working at EasCare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management, almost always get out on time, flexible schedule for per diem, and always shifts available

Cons

Dispatching needs improvement, long hours, heavy lifting

Advice to Management

Allow the staff to voice their concerns to you

3. "Private EMS at its best"

Current Employee - EMT Basic in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - EMT Basic in Boston, MA

I have been working at EasCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is significantly higher than many other companies in the area. There are a number of new trucks and newer equipment. If you are looking for a stepping stone into EMS than this is the place. You get amazing hands on opportunities and can learn a lot.

Cons

Well first off there are no 911 contracts, even though when you go in for your interview they will tell you they are working on it. They have been saying this for years. The Field Supervisors, including the newest ones (one has already been suspended on his second day), are distant from both the road staff and upper management. The trucks are understaffed, and there is a critical shortage of employees. Management is set in their ways and have completely forgotten about what it is to work on the road. Lastly the patients that we deal with are the worst of the worst, ignorant, rude, entitled, and not even needing an ambulance in the first place.

Advice to Management

Three things:
    1) Look of what the definition of Medicare/Medicaid fraud is and change your practices.
    2) Respect your employees, the attitude that we are replaceable is what created the mass exudes over the past few months.
    3) Have some standards.

4. "Great Place To Start"

Former Employee - Dispatcher/EMT-B in Spencer, MA
    Former Employee - Dispatcher/EMT-B in Spencer, MA

I worked at EasCare (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Great co-workers, Lots of overtime potential

Cons

When I was there technology and management was sub-par, they seemed to be out to get you more than help you.

5. "Paramedic"

Former Employee - EMT
    Former Employee - EMT

I worked at EasCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Don't do it, not much good to say at all. Very sad company to work for.

Cons

They do not care about if you get hurt on the job. Got hurt pretty bad, career ending issue and they fire me with out even a second glance. Bad company for a good devoted paramedic and professional who deeply cared about people and their families.

Advice to Management

Better employee benefits and just start caring!!!

6. "You'll Work Hard"

Former Employee - EMT Basic in Dorchester, MA
    Former Employee - EMT Basic in Dorchester, MA

I worked at EasCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working here, you will inevitably learn much about the medical industry in general. You'll get to travel throughout Eastern Massachusetts as they are not restricted to any one city or town with their calls. Those wanting to become a nurse, doctor, PA, etc. will find this is often a good starting point. You will meet people from all different walks of life (be it coworkers, patients, or hospital staff members). And obviously, those seeking a life long career in EMS will gain some experience here, too (or perhaps will find a home here, not sure).

Getting to cruise around half the day can be pretty cool because it's a constant change of scenery. All of the paperwork (patient care reports) are computerized, which I happen to like. You will get some emergencies but you will often transfer patients from one health care facility to another (or from a private residence to a health care facility or vice versa). Geriatric patients will be your typical patient, but this not the case with every single patient. At the time of this writing, EasCare does not have a 911 contract with any municipality but does do back up calls for Boston EMS sometimes.

The orientation program, getting you situated, and getting your uniforms issued and such, is pretty organized and effective. You will also get a chance to meet other new people to the workplace through this program. They even set you up to do most of your continuing education right off the bat so they don't have to chase you down for it later. I was impressed with orientation.

This company is a growing company. When I worked there, it seemed like every time I turned around, they had a new contract with a nursing home or rehab or something. They have pretty much grown steadily since they began in 1998. Without looking back, I guess. Because the company is expanding and always thriving, you can expect to get some overtime if that is what you are looking for.

Cons

They don't seem to really care that you don't get a lunch break (or seldomly get a lunch break). If you're on for a ten hour shift, guess what? You will work hard and steadily for most of that ten hour shift. (You'll likely get a 30 minute to 1 hour period to sit around in a parking lot every once in a while. It depends on the day). On most days, you'll have to sneak in a sandwich or granola bar whenever you can. Considering the fair amount of heavy lifting that you do, the long shifts that you work, the days without much of a break, and the dedication that will be required of you (to patients and staff alike), the pay is kind of unreasonable.

When I worked here, I came home with a sore back rather frequently. And sometimes, just when you think your day is over they give you another call. (If the call is close to the time that you clock out, they are usually generous enough to give you the option to take the call or not. However, if there is only 30 to 40 minutes left to your shift and you get a call, you will likely have to take it and many calls are more than one hour long). A safe bet is to plan on getting out late. Often. They do warn you about this orientation, though.

The workplace (like many workplaces) is kind of cliquey. If you haven't worked there for six months yet, don't expect your fellow coworkers to embrace you with open arms. Get used to being on a truck all day because you only really see your workplace when you clock in and clock out. I think stair chairs are the absolute worst. And you will get some. Learning how to fill out the patient care reports can be tricky at first because there is alot of detailed information that you must enter in and you have to remember to get signatures.

If you haven't worked for another EMS company, and you are fresh out of school, you may find the stretcher a little tricky to operate. At least I did. But honestly, it just takes a little bit of getting used to. But this reminds me, sometimes the equipment at this company is sub par. In the morning (or whenever you start your shift), You expect a well stocked truck with well maintained equipment, and this is (unfortunately) not always the case.

Advice to Management

Please stop deducting from the pay raises based on the smallest of infractions. The pay is already very low to begin with. It just adds insult to injury, really. The base pay could be better.

Also, I know the mechanics do a good job maintaing the trucks and doing preventive maintenance on the stretchers and such but, honestly, we really could use some nicer equipment. I do acknowledge, however, that the equipment is sometimes abused by the EMT's and it's not necessarily the fault of management. People should really treat the equipment like it's their own.