East West Consulting K.K. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are lots of opportunities to make connections and learn about the business world and sales in general (in 3 reviews)

• You get a lot of freedom as long as you are producing results (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • constant surveillance , read all emails, listen to phone calls and cameras record everything in the office (in 7 reviews)

• Lets put it this way, first day employees are known to say they are going to "lunch" and never come back (in 3 reviews)

"No better company in Japan for foreigners"

Former Employee - Consultant in Osaka, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Osaka, VA

I worked at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

being that you are an English teacher with zero marketable skills in a foreign country where you probably only sort of speak the language, this is the ONLY company that will hire you, sponsor your visa and give you a shot in Japan.
    Don't waste it if you are given the chance.
    The people who gave it a bad review are people who thought they could live a relaxed life like the English teacher they used to be, instead of a consultant like they were supposed to become.
    There is nothing impossible about this job and anyone who tries hard can succeed.

Cons

breed much of their own competition

2. "Career Springboard Opportunity"

I have been working at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice, modern office in a well-known, easily accessible location within Tokyo.

- It's a great entry point into a corporate/business environment.
    - The company does not micro-manage, so for those who can be self-driven, it's possible to build your business in any way you see fit.
    - While success is not guaranteed, through recruiting at EWC there are ample chances to learn about company structure, build a large professional network and make a strong salary that may not be possible at other companies.

Cons

For those who are not comfortable in a macro-managed environment, it can be a very difficult place to understand where to concentrate your efforts to attain success.

Miscommunication or a "gap" in communication is not uncommon between upper management and consultants.

Advice to Management

With over 30 years of business in Japan, EWC has had a very successful run.

However, the industry continues to change and grow. So, the ability to adapt and fully embrace new industry techniques coupled with streamlining communication between consultants and upper management would ensure further success.

East West Consulting K.K. Response

Sep 24, 2017 – Talent Acquisitions Coordinator

Thank you very much for taking your time to review East West Consulting. I am happy to hear your valuable comments in regards to our office and organization.

As you have been here for the last... More

"Consultant"

Pros

Flat organization
    Compensation directly tied to performance
    Opportunity to rapidly rise through the organization

Cons

While committed to the idea, still developing training effective modules for total executive search (but in line with the market)

"Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom Freedom Freedom.
    As long as you provide results and meet weekly goals, you can choose your own method of completing the tasks. Trainings are provided in order to get you where you wanted to be (money making etc).
    Build your own network of clients.
    Learn the fundamental structure of head hunters.
    Highly recognized by corporates since EWC has been around for 30+ years.

Cons

Highly pressured job. It could be a good thing for some people as motivation booster. Long hours (9-8). P & L.

"Don't Work Here"

I worked at East West Consulting K.K. full-time

Pros

-boot camp where you can build business skills
    -they hire anyone.

Cons

- low base salary, no overtime, you get yelled at if you try to take your holidays.
    - constant surveillance , read all emails, listen to phone calls and cameras record everything in the office. No trust in employees.
    - block linkedin
    -only allowed to name collect and cold call. Senior staff will take candidates and commission eventually.
    -typical black company HR, constant pressure, Ijime environment.
    -Outdated recruitment views. No linkedin, still want everyone to be on the phone, don't make use of job boards. Still living in 1980s of recruitment.

Advice to Management

Change the company. Build you employees. Invest in them.

"Forever in my thoughts"

I worked at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to learn end to end recruitment in a highly competitive high energy environment. Chance to work with successful recruitment characters and top billers. An opportunity to experience truly effective HR practices and employee development in an empowering environment. A chance to build relationships with fellow employees in a supportive culture. A chance to learn about how Japan really works and improve yourself as a new entrant to the Japanese employment market, that is they will give people with that illusive "X" factor a chance to go to the inner circle of recruitment. Are you ready to find out if you are made of the right stuff and what the inner circle is? You might be suprised, I was.

Cons

Some people will talk about the challenging KPIs, surveillance culture (calls are recorded, work space is recorded, key loggers are used on computers- all standard things that average recruitment companies all do to bring out the best in their staff and preserve their intellectual property, no big brother here). Also some people may say they don't spend money on training or developing their staff, I completely disagree I think in my case they spent a lot. Training was intensive, including close mentoring, observational learning and shadowing, in addition to standard training. I could learn about old school headhunting, online/offline research, conflict resolution in a friendly environment, different types of businesses and eventually the inner workings of Japan :).

Advice to Management

As other reviewers have accurately pointed out, no cons, management is very kind, too kind in fact. I would like to write a book about my experiences, if I find myself with extra time on my hands, to show my appreciation. Might be an interesting read. Advice- don't change you know what you are doing and can effectively teach others to do the same thing. I for one, learned a lot.

"A Closed-Minded Family Business that Means Well, but Just Doesn't Get it"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at East West Consulting K.K. (More than a year)

Pros

I liked that you actually do learn some valuable skills, and get insight into what the labour market is like "behind the scenes", and how organizations are structured and operating day-to-day. I found that pretty fascinating.
    As far as career development goes, I have gotten a ton of (unwanted, unsolicited) interest from other recruiters who wanted me to work for them after this experience. So if you want to be a recruitment consultant, this could be a great stepping stone because it's pretty cut-throat. If you can make it here for at least a year, you will probably raise your employability a lot in terms of a sales career path. And if that's for you... then god help you.

Cons

If you don't like doing cold calling, this will probably be painful for you. For me, it was absolutely soul-crushing. It not only turned me off of recruiting, but sales in general. I want nothing to do with it. I changed my career after doing this. As for the company itself, EWC has no idea what they're doing in terms of training or HR development. You'd think a company with 30 years of experience would have learnt something by now, but since it somehow has decent SEO, it churns out enough suckers who are desperate for a working visa that it sort of makes up for it, since these inevitable job-hoppers may bring in a good candidate every now and then. Ultimately, this company is notorious in the recruitment scene in Japan. And it's certainly true that a lot of the people who work there are dicks. But I didn't hate most of them. The problem, really, is that the job sucks and you don't get good support. If you love and are good at sales, you may enjoy it here. But considering I have never been in a company (or even heard of one) with such a high turnover rate, chances are, you won't. In fact, one of the reason that people are dicks here is because they know that there isn't much point in making friends with newbies, because they will inevitably quit... so they just don't care.

Advice to Management

Learn from your competitors. You have a HR development (training) problem, as well as a cultural problem. But from what I hear, it hasn't really changed in decades, so I don't expect it to in the future

"Best company I could ever end up in Japan;-)!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work hard, pays well, lots of opportunity and freedom:-)!
    Been here for 10 years and do not consider to change!

In short, grass is not greener in other companies, still you will need to do the same job wherever you go: “Position” + “Find Candidate” => Placement!

Cons

President of EWC has good heart (sometimes too good) and will give chance to pretty much everyone decent who has decent work and business etiquettes => most of associates consultants who start has never done headhunting (same was with me when I started here, I was high risk as barely spoke English, I didn’t know anything on recruitment when started at EWC) => I needed to learn many new skills and it is fast pace environment “genki” type => EWC gave me the opportunity to try the job, I succeeded and very happy!
    Saying that I also realized not everyone is cut to be recruiter, some people give up to early that may create high stuff turnover within the new people mainly.

My tip:work hard, be patient and you can become successful recruiter!!

"A great opportunity."

Former Employee - Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After being an English teacher on the JET progamme, I was looking for a greater challenge and decided to join East West Consulting. I was a bit nervous at first because i did not know what to expect. However, I was pleasantly surprised with how friendly everyone was and I also felt comfortanle with the work I was doing within a few months.

EWC taught me a lot about the business world and how professionals are valued in the market, which lead me towards my decision to resign in order to persue my MBA.

EWC gets you working with clients from very early in your career and is the best environment for a self starter type. It's not for everyone, but if you want a challenge and grow, you should definitiley give it a shot.

Cons

The freedom offered is good, but there could also be more clarity and structure in certain areas.

Advice to Management

The competition has caught up with EWC by copying it's ways. Need to innovate to get ahead again.

"Best challenge in my life thus far"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at East West Consulting K.K. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The relationships I have been able to build with my colleagues, candidates, and clients has been a highlight. I would not trade the current office dynamic for anything.

- I started off not knowing a single thing about my industry (pharma) and now my network values me as trustworthy consultant.

- I knew I could be greater than what I was doing in the past, and EWC gave me the opportunity to prove it.

Cons

- I would prefer to be able to work from home, but I also understand due to security policies it's not going to happen.

Advice to Management

The recent change in brining in a full time trainer was a very strong move.
    Lets keep taking steps in the right direction.