East West Destination Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Harry H. Frampton III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at East West Destination Hospitality full-time

Pros

The people that run our company are the best in the valley. East West truly cares about its employees' success and happiness.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say!

2. "Mostly a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avon, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avon, CO

I worked at East West Destination Hospitality part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work with some absolutely phenomenal people and the people you meet in your position are the reason to go to work.

Cons

The management within the company is very political to the point that people on the outside see it

Advice to Management

Hire people that are actually somewhat qualified for their positions and stop pushing away good employees.

3. "Nice on the surface but ..."

I worked at East West Destination Hospitality full-time

Pros

Great Teammates - Resort area employees understand why they live there and want a great work/life balance. Overall, some of the best co-workers I have had came from EWDH.

Great Location - Resort areas are amazing and being lucky enough to land a career job in one of those locations will pay dividends to your quality of life.

Great CEO - Honestly, the leader and founder of the family of companies (Harry Frampton) is a truly exceptional guy. He was amazing to work for and learn from.

Cons

On the surface, EWDH looks to be an ideal place to work in terms of location, potential career advancement (it is one of the larger companies in the resort areas it operates in) and the "team-centric, work hard, play hard" mentality. However, you will see some red flags right off the bat, and then after spending some time there, the cracks really begin to show.

Compensation - Salaries are low. Very low in some departments compared to similar positions in other, close markets. Management will take advantage of you on this front, mark my words. I personally know a number of people who hadn't gotten a raise in over 3 years (one employee was over 5 years!). Bonuses were also withdrawn completely for years, even at management levels, which contributes to the stagnated compensation levels. The benefits team has been chipping away at the benefits packages consistently over the last few years and while I recognize that benefits are a thorn in the side of every company, the truth is that their value to employees is massive. What used to be a strong benefits package has now turned into a very average one and this downward trend also factors into the compensation being a Con. Unfortunately, the old "resort area" excuse that companies can pay less than competing metro regions because of their desirable resort locations is heavily used at EWDH. As a concrete and topical example, upon taking a position that was a lateral move in a nearby metro region, I immediately earned a 25% increase in total comp. That's a significant margin at any tax bracket.

Career Advancement - Nepotism abounds there openly and many positions will hit advancement ceilings quickly. There were no advancement opportunities or paths laid out for me personally and after years of working there, I saw this ubiquitously across the board in all divisions. I had only two reviews in the many years I worked there, and I had to personally request both, so do not expect any feedback on your performance without effort.

Culture - Extensive management overhauls have taken place and the once lauded culture has dried up, become much less employee-centric and much more corporate. Where the company used to feel like a tight family that heavily emphasized teamwork and personal accountability (which honestly helped make up for the low compensation), the last few years have changed to now feeling like it's just another XYZ company making questionable corporate decisions solely for the benefit of itself and the higher ups. In addition, the senior management provides little-to-nothing when it comes to expectations and guidance and is also quick to place blame on employees for problems that can be easily traced back to themselves.

Frankly, the culture was one of the BEST attributes of the company and I know a lot of current and former employees who are sad to see this slip away.

Advice to Management

To the C-Level management, I would advise you to take a close look at the cultural changes that have taken place underneath you. There is a lot of great talk coming from this level, but the reality is different than you imagine it to be. Employees are quickly becoming increasingly dissatisfied with East West and the lip service they are being given. You talk a good game but your actions are not matching up and employees see through this faster than you can imagine.

Rethink your compensation strategies and completely drop the attitude that you can take advantage of employees like you are doing. Every employee deserves a yearly raise, and many of them deserve big "catch up" raises to be in line with other companies and close markets. Even the HR team recognized this and were trying to change it so they could be competitive and recruit the top-notch talent leadership desires. Unfortunately, this effort was stymied and only minimal compensation changes were made. In addition, stop the downward trend that the benefits packages are taking.

Structure teams better so that advancement opportunities exist and where they don't, provide regular reviews and honest feedback. Work harder to retain good talent instead of letting good people squander away their years with no forward movement. I saw a LOT of good, quality personnel move on due to lack of opportunity and underwhelming compensation, and perhaps the most telling fact of all is that none of them have regretted it.

"Would not recommend"

I have been working at East West Destination Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive STARTING wages, lots of good employees/quality individuals working for the company.

Cons

Have received no annual reviews after multiple years with the company. No pay increases despite rapidly increasing cost of living. More expensive health insurance than other large employers in the Vail Valley. Recently shifting management from a family feel to more corporate, more focus on $$$ while ignoring the well being of the people who make the daily operations possible.

Advice to Management

Develop and retain talent by treating employees as individuals, not just numbers on your books. Offer pay increases with good performance. Don't lose the old East West family culture with all new management.

5. "Excellent!"

I worked at East West Destination Hospitality part-time

Pros

Everyone is so nice and helpful! Was with East West for a short period of time but loved every minute of it! I would still be with them if they were in Michigan!

Cons

I don't have a negative thing to say about East West!

Jun 5, 2017 – HR Manager

Thanks for your positive review! Glad to hear you enjoyed working with us. Let us know if you ever move back - we love getting to rehire great employees!

6. "Great company with a fantastic culture!"

I worked at East West Destination Hospitality full-time

Pros

Wonderful team environment, motivated colleagues, happy guests.

Cons

Limited career advancement in certain fields.

"Great room to grow, learn, and get promoted"

Former Employee - Various in Avon, CO
    Former Employee - Various in Avon, CO

I worked at East West Destination Hospitality (More than 8 years)

Pros

I spent years bouncing up the ladder at EWDH. Great company to learn the property mgt business from, they love to promote from within and spend tons of cash on professional development.

Cons

Subsequent to leaving the company, I shared what I'd been making with friends in the industry, and learned I was earning about 20% less than people in comparable management positions around Colorado.

Advice to Management

Go back to the East West Resorts name. When two of the words in your company name are almost identical to another prominent CO-based company's name, bad things happen.

8. "Travel Industry Sales Manager"

Pros

invested in employees
    believes in work life balance

Cons

It experiences high turn over rate

Oct 7, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for your positive review! So glad you feel invested in by East West. Regarding turnover, we are currently working to understand why people leave and why people stay with the company. We would... More

9. "Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Accountant in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at East West Destination Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Such a personable company and very willing to work with my busy schedule

Cons

Not a lot of chance for growth within the company

Jun 13, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for your feedback! We love hearing we're meeting the mark on our efforts to promote work/life balance. Regarding growth within the company - we also see this as an opportunity and are... More

10. "A Company that Cares"

Pros

Work Life Balance, Mountains of Wellness, Flexibility, Integrity, Authenticity, Leadership.

Cons

It's hard to live in the valley, cost of living, etc. but EW does its best to support its employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within, so many good people.