East West Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Colleen Weiss-Hanen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Amazing place with amazing opportunities!"

I have been working at East West Hospitality full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at East West for a long time and I love they value employees first at all levels. It's a special place when management decisions are based on what's best for the people and not the bottom line. I don't know many other places that restructure departments to make it work for the employees and not the other way around.

Cons

The business is very reliant on the weather. That's hard.

Advice to Management

Keep diversifying and growing smart!

"Growing with Great Values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagle, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagle, CO

I have been working at East West Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Currently work for East West and how leadership is building on an already great culture makes me proud to work with this organization

Cons

Find a way to guarantee it snows a ton every year !

Advice to Management

Keep building on culture and working to share the company vision with everyone. It shows you are looking to the future and committed to growing the company. People love to work for a company that puts people first. It's motivating. Reading some of the reviews on this site makes me believe that some individuals simply don't care about anyone but themselves and probably would not fit into any team working toward a common goal. The positive actions senior leadership has taken related increasing minimum wage higher than others in resort towns to giving employees a month off with pay after 10 years shows that they care for their employees.

"Best Place to work in Eagle County!"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Avon, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Avon, CO

I have been working at East West Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having leadership that cares about the employee is a rare thing, most only care about the ROI.
    Lots of growth and development opportunities.
    Company raised the minimum wage to help employees with the high cost of living.
    Added a sabbatical program to reward longevity.
    Great benefit plans!

Cons

Nothing negative to share from my time at East West!

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing, when a company values it's employees good things will come from it!

"Great Company Culture"

I have been working at East West Hospitality full-time

Pros

They genuinely care for their employees. I 've been working in this company for many years and the main reason I've stayed it's because I admire leadership and the decisions they made for the wellbeing of their employees over time. No matter how hard, time-consuming or costly an initiative may be, they always focus on doing the right thing. They invest in having and keeping happy employees and they continuously work on having a great culture, focused on transparency, being supportive and collaborative. Love this company!

Cons

No cons that I can think of. Great company!

5. "2 stars, was better than vail resorts, but that's not hard."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaver Creek, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaver Creek, CO

I worked at East West Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a job.
    The mountain is right under your nose.

Cons

Seriously low pay for property managers in the valley and workload was not shared well/management didn't really do anything.

Advice to Management

It's too easy for coworkers to slack off and get away with it because they're the favorites.

"Terribly Unorganized + Does Not Care About Employees"

Former Employee - Guest Service Lead in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Guest Service Lead in Vail, CO

I worked at East West Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of their properties are beautiful, but due to experience with management and corporate I don’t feel I can give many positives.

Cons

The company itself is terribly unorganized. I worked for a company for a short time before East West came into management and all of the changes I saw changed the hotel I worked at for the worse. Everyone’s benefits became more expensive for less coverage, and they took a workplace that had room for advancement and completely destroyed what everyone had been working towards.

Aside from the high cost of benefits and the inability to advance within the company, the company also neglects to pay their employees an equitable wage in comparison to the cost of living.

I worked for the company for almost a year and they failed to give any kind of evaluation for their employees to discuss and negotiate wages. They not only failed to do this for new employees, but they failed to do this for ALL employees I worked with. After never receiving any kind of evaluations I also never received an exit interview, which is common practice in the valley.

The turnover I saw with this company was astounding. The amount of people I saw leave this company is higher than I have seen in any workplace (which says a lot since I am a previous Vail Resorts employee, which also has incredibly high turnover).

On a corporate level I feel they truly do not care about their employees unless they are upper management on a corporate level. Their HR team is a joke and failed to reply to any emails I sent, in addition to making terrible negligent clerical errors, such as incorrectly attaching people’s direct deposits to wrong accounts.

I would not recommend this company to anyone, and am frankly disappointed with how unprofessional the company is as a whole.

Aug 13, 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks for your feedback and review. We appreciate your candor and are so disappointed that you had a bad experience with us. If I may, I’d like to address a few of the items you brought up:

We do... More

7. "meh"

I worked at East West Hospitality full-time

Pros

great people and property management processes

Cons

pay is terrible. no way to live, raise a family in or around Vail with even with a mid/high level management position and decade plus of service

Aug 16, 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks for your review. Glad you had a great experience with your East West team members and felt good about how we do business! Disappointed you felt East West was below average on compensation... More

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at East West Hospitality full-time

Pros

The people that run our company are the best in the valley. East West truly cares about its employees' success and happiness.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say!

Aug 14, 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks so much for the great review! So glad to hear that you feel cared for here. Please let us know if that ever changes or if there are things we can work on to improve.

"Mostly a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avon, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avon, CO

I worked at East West Hospitality part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work with some absolutely phenomenal people and the people you meet in your position are the reason to go to work.

Cons

The management within the company is very political to the point that people on the outside see it

Advice to Management

Hire people that are actually somewhat qualified for their positions and stop pushing away good employees.

"Nice on the surface but ..."

I worked at East West Hospitality full-time

Pros

Great Teammates - Resort area employees understand why they live there and want a great work/life balance. Overall, some of the best co-workers I have had came from EWDH.

Great Location - Resort areas are amazing and being lucky enough to land a career job in one of those locations will pay dividends to your quality of life.

Great CEO - Honestly, the leader and founder of the family of companies (Harry Frampton) is a truly exceptional guy. He was amazing to work for and learn from.

Cons

On the surface, EWDH looks to be an ideal place to work in terms of location, potential career advancement (it is one of the larger companies in the resort areas it operates in) and the "team-centric, work hard, play hard" mentality. However, you will see some red flags right off the bat, and then after spending some time there, the cracks really begin to show.

Compensation - Salaries are low. Very low in some departments compared to similar positions in other, close markets. Management will take advantage of you on this front, mark my words. I personally know a number of people who hadn't gotten a raise in over 3 years (one employee was over 5 years!). Bonuses were also withdrawn completely for years, even at management levels, which contributes to the stagnated compensation levels. The benefits team has been chipping away at the benefits packages consistently over the last few years and while I recognize that benefits are a thorn in the side of every company, the truth is that their value to employees is massive. What used to be a strong benefits package has now turned into a very average one and this downward trend also factors into the compensation being a Con. Unfortunately, the old "resort area" excuse that companies can pay less than competing metro regions because of their desirable resort locations is heavily used at EWDH. As a concrete and topical example, upon taking a position that was a lateral move in a nearby metro region, I immediately earned a 25% increase in total comp. That's a significant margin at any tax bracket.

Career Advancement - Nepotism abounds there openly and many positions will hit advancement ceilings quickly. There were no advancement opportunities or paths laid out for me personally and after years of working there, I saw this ubiquitously across the board in all divisions. I had only two reviews in the many years I worked there, and I had to personally request both, so do not expect any feedback on your performance without effort.

Culture - Extensive management overhauls have taken place and the once lauded culture has dried up, become much less employee-centric and much more corporate. Where the company used to feel like a tight family that heavily emphasized teamwork and personal accountability (which honestly helped make up for the low compensation), the last few years have changed to now feeling like it's just another XYZ company making questionable corporate decisions solely for the benefit of itself and the higher ups. In addition, the senior management provides little-to-nothing when it comes to expectations and guidance and is also quick to place blame on employees for problems that can be easily traced back to themselves.

Frankly, the culture was one of the BEST attributes of the company and I know a lot of current and former employees who are sad to see this slip away.

Advice to Management

To the C-Level management, I would advise you to take a close look at the cultural changes that have taken place underneath you. There is a lot of great talk coming from this level, but the reality is different than you imagine it to be. Employees are quickly becoming increasingly dissatisfied with East West and the lip service they are being given. You talk a good game but your actions are not matching up and employees see through this faster than you can imagine.

Rethink your compensation strategies and completely drop the attitude that you can take advantage of employees like you are doing. Every employee deserves a yearly raise, and many of them deserve big "catch up" raises to be in line with other companies and close markets. Even the HR team recognized this and were trying to change it so they could be competitive and recruit the top-notch talent leadership desires. Unfortunately, this effort was stymied and only minimal compensation changes were made. In addition, stop the downward trend that the benefits packages are taking.

Structure teams better so that advancement opportunities exist and where they don't, provide regular reviews and honest feedback. Work harder to retain good talent instead of letting good people squander away their years with no forward movement. I saw a LOT of good, quality personnel move on due to lack of opportunity and underwhelming compensation, and perhaps the most telling fact of all is that none of them have regretted it.