Eastern Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert F. Rivers

1. "Operations Associate"

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eastern Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, lot's of diversity, encouragement to advance

Cons

Nothing big but having to work weekends

"IT Systems has some culture issues along with some dead wood"

Former Employee - DB2 Database Administrator in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - DB2 Database Administrator in Lynn, MA

I worked at Eastern Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Pension Plan would be ideal if you stayed long enough.

Cons

Took a job as a DB Administrator that turned into a full-time production support role with all maintenance and virtually no new development. It was now 100% maintenance role whereas I was told it would be some development. I was not asked if this is what I wanted to do and my new manager was a horrible bully as the previous employee who I backfilled for alerted me. I stuck it out for as long as I could but it was going in the wrong direction. The support role was going to start at 4:30 am in near future and it was a concern. No one considered this a big deal and no one cared about sharing the load on the so called team.

Advice to Management

Managers need to lead by example and be part of the solution instead of part of the problem. Pay attention to detail and note the manager lack of commitment to being part of the team and try to have them commit to being more helpful by example. My manager was out and about schmoozing while the real work was getting done. He did not inspire me to do my best work as he was the worst manager I have had in over 25 years in this position. Advise to management is to have him take management training and HR classes as he violated HIPPA as well.

"Under 40 and Motivated-stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynn, MA

I worked at Eastern Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good intent by many employees. Pay is surprisingly on par with the industry. They built a good brand and do a lot for community activities.

Cons

Many older employees that have been there forever and have no forward thinking or experience outside this bank to move it forward. Management is very out of touch.

Advice to Management

Get to the worker level to see what is really going on internally. Employees are your biggest asset and they should be treated like they are. Train your management. Just because someone has been there for 20 years or had a position with a title from an acquisition doesn't mean they have the skills or ability to manage people.

"MOST SKETCHY AND COLD EMPLOYER"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Eastern Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of anything at this point.

Cons

They fired the whole team without any warning. Basically they asked people to come in in the morning and then just let everyone go. They just shut down the whole project without telling anyone ahead. And THEY DON'T GIVE ANY SEVERANCE! They screw you over and don't even give a sh*t about it. This is the coldest and the most sketchy thing that I ever ran into. Seriously??? They don't care about their employees at all. After all the hardworks they've done, Eastern Bank don't show any respect or sympathy.

DO NOT WORK FOR THESE PEOPLE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED THE SAME WAY.

Advice to Management

Seriously? This is so cold and sketchy. Show some respect to your employees.

5. "Customer service rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lynn, MA

I worked at Eastern Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of parking, nice coworkers

Cons

Low pay, some disrespectful supervisors, repetitive work, rude customers

Advice to Management

add weekly meetings so everyone is on the same page, don't rush training because when people start taking phone calls they aren't prepared And start learning by making mistakes which increases stress and decreases performance on the phones, and don't give people "three strikes your out" discipline.

6. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lynn, MA

I worked at Eastern Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was great working for Eastern Bank. Everyone was very friendly.

Cons

There was no cons working at Eastern Bank.

7. "VP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eastern Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work environment is unparalleled in terms of the mutual respect of one's peers.
    Likewise, the benefits offered here, not the least of which is the pension plan, are fantastic.

Cons

I seriously cannot think of any real cons here. The bank is very well managed and everyone is on a first name basis. Every employees voice is heard.

Advice to Management

Continue to excel at maintaining a great, collaborative work environment. Please continue the pension plan and the great benefits offered!

8. "Float Teller"

Former Employee - Seasonal Float Teller in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Float Teller in Beverly, MA

I worked at Eastern Bank (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Great co-workers
    Awesome benefits, fun work atmosphere

Cons

None, honestly it was great working as a teller.

9. "Customer Service Associate/Universal Banker"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eastern Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Excellent training offered. Good atmosphere to work in, there is always a trained experts just a phone call away to help available when needed

Cons

SALARY Be careful of human resources and the hiring salary. Once you are hired, you will get annual raises, however, you will never get a large bump up even with promotion. Almost as if you have to go to another bank for a year, same position, and come back to get a higher salary. Disappointing

Advice to Management

Different managers, different branches. Managers should ultimately respect the productivity and strong work ethic of the employees in their branch in order to have a work atmosphere that is conducive to positive attitudes, good health, and efficiency. Sometimes feel taken advantage of, so it is up to you as an amployee to speak up for what you do and don't find acceptable regarding your position.

10. "Good part-time job in professional environment"

Former Employee - Seasonal Float Teller in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Float Teller in Lowell, MA

I worked at Eastern Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Great seasonal job for work in summers/winters for students. Very professional work environment, decent hours, encourages teamwork, plenty of room to move up in the company. People are mostly fun to work with, most customers are kind, training is provided, coworkers are willing to help. Most branches have free Keurig :) Reimbursement for mileage.

Cons

Can be on your feet for long periods of time depending on how busy the branch is. Also, it can be stressful when you have a long line of customers during busy times. Some branches are very busy, others (Andover, MA for example) are pretty dead. As a float teller, you bounce around to different branches in the region so you have to be flexible. Lack of communication within the bank can be frustrating. Sometimes you only have a few days notice of which branch you'll be working in. Customers can be rude sometimes, but you have to brush it off. Reimbursement for mileage is not always measured in a logical way.

Advice to Management

Figure out where each float teller lives and place them in a region that is convenient to them. Improve communication in the company as a whole - there were often miscommunications at multiple branches.