Eastern Kentucky University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Eastern Kentucky University President Doug Whitlock
Doug Whitlock

Pros
  • Flexible hours, able to work off-site, and good pay (in 3 reviews)

• Good people - The hierarchy is pretty approachable and open to new ideas (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • State budget cuts affect university (in 5 reviews)

• We have not received a cost of living raise in three years due to state shortfalls in the budget (in 2 reviews)

1. "Can be a laid back, fun culture--unless you're a minority--but can lead to a lot of drama"

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University part-time

Pros

Laid back, fun (see exceptions)

Cons

LOTS of drama.
    Also a LOT of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. If you're any kind of minority (and I'm including liberals in this group) you will most likely be miserable. I can't tell you the number of racist and sexist comments I've had to endure during my employment.
    If you're a hard-core conservative, white, male and love to dehumanize anyone who isn't just like you--you will fit right in. If not...STAY AWAY.

Advice to Management

I don't know...maybe fire people who create a hostile environment instead of just standing around a listening to them and pretending you don't hear their comments? Take complaints seriously?
    Stop hiring jerks who think it's "funny," appropriate, or professional to constantly make other workers and students uncomfortable?

2. "Plantation-Style Leadership"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Richmond, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Richmond, KY

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the faculty and some of the staff are dedicated and competent.

Cons

Administration does whatever it wants, whenever it wants. Some units are privileged with new offices and thousands off dollars in perks, while others share offices in converted dorms and use hand-me-down technology. Don't try pointing out that the emperor has no clothes. They have been sued multiple times for failing to follow their own stated policies and procedures.

Advice to Management

Treat all academic units the same and don't privilege one over another.

3. "Administration is not interested in faculty, staff, or education"

Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in Berea, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in Berea, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have no positive comments except the students are friendly and most of the lower level staff and faculty.

Cons

Administration has little knowledge about what it means to be an education institution and less concern about faculty, staff, or students. Faculty and staff have not had a pay raise in two years and we are not taking another pay cut, even though we are already among the lowest paid institutions in the commonwealth, unless you are the University President or Vice Presidents.

4. "Decent place to start out at"

Former Employee - Student Worker in Richmond, KY
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Richmond, KY

Pros

I worked as an Administrative Assistant for several different departments for about half a year while I was a student there. The work was not hard, and they were always very generous if you needed time off and didn't really care if you took long lunch breaks or ate at your desk or even surfed Facebook/texted/etc. while you were on the clock

Cons

Some of my co-workers were very toxic (gossipy, loud, constantly fighting over who gets to tell me what to do--which was very confusing and stressful!) which is why I ultimately left, that and the pay was just minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Please make it clear who is in charge of who, and make sure that the person you put in charge of new employees can actually teach others how to do their job.

5. "good job if you are going to school"

Former Employee - Technology in Richmond, KY
    Former Employee - Technology in Richmond, KY

I worked at Eastern Kentucky University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

they will pay your tuition

Cons

you have to pay for parking, the university never has money for the little people, and also doesn't have time for any of their ideas

Advice to Management

maybe try teams instead of hierarchical style management

6. "Steadily stripping away"

Current Employee - AA1, Building Supervisor, Safety Coordinator in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - AA1, Building Supervisor, Safety Coordinator in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very laid back environment, no dress code

Cons

Budget cuts, two raises in 12 years with an increase in healthcare costs that exceed raises, staff is overworked

Advice to Management

If you keep taking from the staff, you will soon have no staff left.

7. "Abruptly terminated"

Pros

At the time good benifits and working conditions. Excellent rapport with supervisor and career advancement.

Cons

Involuntary separation procedure was extremely shady, no explanation to me or supervisor. Supervisor was not consulted prior to separation.

8. "assistant professor of finance"

Pros

new building, close to a city.

Cons

is not fair to some employees

9. "Student Employee"

Current Employee - Physics Tutor in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Physics Tutor in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Eastern Kentucky University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, convenient location, easy work

Cons

Low salary, poor benefits, occasional bad management

10. "EKU is a great place if you like a small town environment and workplace."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, KY

Pros

If you are from the community, it is extremely convenient. Chances are, you will know a lot of people there, and if not you will grow to know people and not be displeased. Working at EKU was like a big family, seems like we all know each other and that's about a great a working environment as you could want.

Cons

The only one I can really think of is the fact that some of the older people in management might need to move on. Seems like a lot of tools end up in charge and things can go from great to lame pretty quick. Sometimes it's bad enough that you stop to wonder how they even got that far, but it's not super bad as I did enjoy my time there.

Advice to Management

Some people really need to be evaluated for effective leadership skills. Others really need their work looked at, it seems like there is a lot of glaring errors and they go unnoticed.