Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Michelle Hood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Manager"

Pros

Large health system, areas to work across the state. Training programs available.

Cons

Disorganized HR department. Growth limited by inadequate recruiting procedures. clinical staff valued more than ancillary support staff.

Advice to Management

Spend time developing long term strategy instead of working in a highly volatile, reactive state all the time.

2. "Fabulous place to work! Very respectful at all levels."

Current Employee - Nurse
    Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respect, compensation, schedule, co-workers for the most part want to help others succeed. Continue the open door policy with regards to listening to suggestions to make things better.

Cons

Some staff do not work as hard as others. Of course you will find that almost anywhere. Have seen a lot worse.

Advice to Management

Work on continuing to rid the organization of those who are making others jobs harder.

"Few people from Maine left who make any decisions."

Current Employee - Paramedic in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have the jobs. Largest employer in the area, if you don't like current position, there is some opportunity to move around. Provided ample education opportunities.

Cons

Questionable future viability of company as debt soars and revenues drop. Those who get ahead keep their mouths shut and just do what they are told to do, otherwise face retaliation.

Advice to Management

Realize where you are in and stop trying to set up systems that work in PA.

"Great place to work and grow but expect the bureaucratic drag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brewer, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brewer, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare as an industry is going through growing pains and this place is one of the best places to work in Maine if you want to be a part of the transformation. Personally I work in a great department with a good boss. Overall I find most of the people here are happy and warm.

Cons

Change happens very slowly here. The biggest challenge to EMHS is that the organization can't get out of its own way. Overly complex bureaucracy and the left hand doesnt know what the right hand knows. A culture of insecurity and distrust is growing.

Advice to Management

If you don't treat your staff and employees like the fully-formed adults they are then the cultural trend of distrust will only escalate. You have some amazing leaders and employees there that see that things CAN be different. Listen to them and give them a chance.

5. "Decent Job"

Pros

It was an okay job.

Cons

Benefits stink and they cut a lot of jobs

6. "Best Place to Work in Maine"

Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Brewer, ME
    Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Brewer, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule; Leadership with a Proven Track Record

Cons

Financial Stability Given Changes in Healthcare Payer Mix and Reimbursement

Advice to Management

Focus on the Future and Reinvent the Company to Meet those Demands

"the EMHS home office is a chill place to work"

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time

Pros

- The people! Sure it's a cliche, but oh so true at EMHS. My coworkers are some of the friendliest, most down-to-earth people I've ever met. My duties are mostly solitary yet I still feel like part of a team.
    - At a health care organization you would expect great health coverage and EMHS delivers. Life, vision, dental, it's all available. Great employee wellness program.
    - Good salary relative to position requirements. Low cost of living in the area.
    - Relaxed non-profit atmosphere.

Cons

- Byzantine organizational structure. The company is currently undergoing a restructuring. Some employees jumped ship expecting layoffs that never occurred.
    - Long hiring turnaround.
    - Pay is modest in absolute terms.
    - Monthly staff meetings are dull (but hey that's true just about anywhere).
    - Not much to do around Brewer, ME.

Advice to Management

Improve hiring efficiency. Keep current employees in the loop concerning shared services restructuring. Otherwise, keep up the good work, especially in treating subordinates as living breathing individuals.

"Big Business"

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time

Pros

Great benefits due to large amount of employees.
    Awesome emphasis on healthy living and employer provided services to lose weight or quit smoking.

Cons

No union. Not enough support for hard working employees. Skimpy pay raises. Sometimes work an entire shift without getting a break.

Advice to Management

Treat your hard workomg, dedicated employees with respect, and they will want to stay with your company longer.

9. "Not bad, but could be better"

I worked at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, a willingness for departments to work together at the corporate level, people are more than happy to answer questions. Decent work-life balance as well.

Cons

Health insurance company is not user-friendly, some issues with being able to truly connect with senior management.

Advice to Management

A better understanding of the job responsibilities that employees have under you is always a good idea. I had a reasonable manager, but others at the corporate office weren't as lucky.

"Employer Review"

I have been working at Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems full-time

Pros

My employer has a good work environment,and good benefits. My coworkers are friendly and make the day go by fast. The company offers a decent amount of PTO.

Cons

My employer offers fairly low salaries compared to the industry standard. The logistics of making any sort of change can take quite a bit of time due to politics within the healthcare system.

Advice to Management

I would advised management to work at paying higher salaries and providing employees with a more diverse workload. I would advise management to continue being understanding of family engagements and the occasional early dismissal for such activities.