Eastern Maine Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Deborah Carey Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Respiratory Therapist"

I have been working at Eastern Maine Medical Center full-time

Pros

Second largest hospital in Maine, current growth and modernization project

Cons

Lack of support from upper management

2. "Registered nurse"

I have been working at Eastern Maine Medical Center full-time

Pros

Good salary, helpful coworkers, great location, lots of opportunity

Cons

High acuity and high patient volume

"Staff nurse"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Eastern Maine Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Union, good pay for area

Cons

Short staffed, mandatory overtime.parking in elements

Advice to Management

Top heavy, less queens, more bees

"RUN LIKE THE WIND, NO PLACE FOR NURSES WHO VALUE THEIR LICENSE"

I worked at Eastern Maine Medical Center full-time

Pros

The ONLY positive aspect of employment at EMMC is they have decent health and dental insurance but if you are in need of counseling their EAP only gives three visits and then you have a 3,000 deductible ,which is like having no insurance at all.

Cons

EMMC is gasping for air, like a fish out of water! The vast majority of their nurses voice unhappiness with hostile and rigid management who are unbending in everything from working with them on scheduling and vacations to treating them with no respect on a daily basis. Nurses are taking a 5-6 patient assignment often with NO nursing assistant, as EMMC is trying to save money by not hiring enough. There is not enough basic equipment to do adequate patient care. Not enough Dynamaps and the ones you CAN find have parts missing. EVERY shift you have to make call after call to pharmacy to ask,"WHERE ATE MY MEDS?!" I've never seen a pharmacy who CONTINOUSLY does not fill med orders when they get them. Each missing med requires a call,then a wait, sometimes for hours just to get your patients mess given! The Pyxis are so old that you have to beat the underside of the drawer to get the pocket door to open and they are stocked without ANY inductive or deductive reasoning so the nurse often has to enter 3 different Pyxis' to get mess for just ONE patient. Standards of care are not followed either and I have personally witnessed patients being admitted to a regular floor who should have been placed in the unit. I have witnessed IV's being left infiltrated and the patients arm swollen to twice it's normal size and and left that way. Most every floor, the nurses say their manager is terrible and they dislike them immensely because they don't respect them and treat them like children. THE CEO's ,I understand are making exorbitant salaries while the staff don't even have the basic equipment and ability to do adequate patient care, much less excellent care. They should literally be ashamed. So many sentinel events have occurred that they have been investigated by the state, their retention rates are in the toilet, the patient satisfaction scores are bad a lot of the time and yet they keep turning a blind eye! Their methods of care for many illnesses are 30 years behind the times and the facility is dirty and not well cleaned also. I wouldn't put anyone I loved in this poor poor excuse for a hospital.

Advice to Management

Fire all middle management, hire someone from the outside who is knowledgeable regarding NEW patient care modalities and methodology and CLEAN HOUSE! HIRE enough nursing assistants! YOU ARE KILLING WHAT FEW NURSES YOU HAVE LEFT! FIRE the person over pharmacy and bring in someone who can actually turn it into a well functioning department. NO nurse has time to spend THAT MUCH time on the phone begging for mess that should already be there! Have your HR dept. actually TELL a prospective employees during the hiring interview that they will be required to attend once a week cardiac classes on their off day for months after hire, even if you are an extremely experienced nurse who is experienced in cardiac area ,EMMC STILL requires you to attend! THIS SHOULD NOT BE! Only inexperienced nurses in cardiac care should be required to attend! Not everyone wants to have to come in once a week on their off day and attend a class and listen to what they already know just so someone can justify their position! Magnet status??? What a joke. EMMC is circling the drain! I personally have never worked in a place where nearly every nurse I talk to says the same thing, that they are miserable and the hospital is an awful place to work. Shame on you.

5. "major Bangor employer"

I have been working at Eastern Maine Medical Center full-time

Pros

I'm just office support, not a medical professional so I can't speak to that but my job is super chill.

Cons

It's a big non-profit bureaucracy so things take a while to get done.

6. "Medical Records Clerk"

Former Employee - Medical Record Clerk in Brewer, ME
    Former Employee - Medical Record Clerk in Brewer, ME

I worked at Eastern Maine Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, good schedules

Cons

No complaints other than weekends and holiday work required

"Very poor work ethic ... Disrespect"

Pros

Not a good place for patients or employees

Cons

Understaffed and workers and patients disrespected

Advice to Management

It is extremely disappointing to see such archaic and mean-spirited medical practices here in Maine. Patients at EMMC emergency room are treated like criminals as soon as they walk through the door. It has become more like a police state than a hospital.

As someone who has worked in the mental health field for more than 30 years I can tell you that treating patients, whether for a physical ailment or a mental health one, with such disrespect and yes blatant abuse sets back a patient's healing process monumentally. This Medical Center must change its practices and change them immediately. The people of northern Maine deserve no less. We will not stand for it.

8. "Research Office Coordinator /Analyst"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Bangor, ME

Pros

This job is challenging and close to where I live however, I like to be in a higher level of pay.

Cons

The insurance could be a lot better

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they ask for better tools to do their job.

9. "ED Staff nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Winterport, ME
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Winterport, ME

I worked at Eastern Maine Medical Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice group of doctors, some valuable co-workers. Benefits great.

Cons

Unionized hospital with hostile work envirnment, very much management vs staff.

Advice to Management

Learn to ask appropriate questions and give positive strokes to staff, lessen the negativity.

10. "Kitchen Worker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangor, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangor, ME

I worked at Eastern Maine Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pep Time Off very beneficial

Cons

Cost of living still exceeds the pay

Advice to Management

I would try to prevent the vocal instigators of drama from controlling how proceedings are dictated while also being able to step outside that at will because they are your informant. (A small incident in an overall good corporation).