Eastern Virginia Medical School Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Eastern Virginia Medical School President Harry T. Lester
Harry T. Lester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great work environment, positive senior leadership, great mission and community engagement (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, at least in my area, and good vacation/sick leave (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and no schooling benefit (in 3 reviews)

• No opportunity to work directly with clients (in 3 reviews)

1. "Financial Aid Counselor"

Former Employee - Financial Aid Counselor in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Counselor in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family Oriented place to work

Cons

none that are worth mentioning

Advice to Management

none

2. "Certified Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You learn alot about OB/GYN.

Cons

Not good management. Needs some work in that ate.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and get know them as an individual. Stop being so judgemental and don't be so quick to write people up. Talk with your employees and stop listening to what other people say about them. Everybody has different things going on in there lives so, find out how you can help that person before writing them up for something. You never know; they just need to know that their manager has there back..

3. "Not what I expected!"

I worked at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The department I worked in, every one from the receptionist to the Chief were fantastic. The research, the teaching, and taking care of the community are top notch. The doctors are the best in their field. The school is one of the best and has turned out some really great doctors.

Cons

Administration needs to take a refresher course on how to talk to staff on lower pay grades, if you don't have the level of education they have you are not worth their time. Even when that staff member has the most experience. Need a better financial department that knows how to run a medical practice and is able to work with the practices. Patients are being left out in the cold.

Advice to Management

Time for some administration to retire!

"Good company but..."

Current Employee - Clinical Research Assistant in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Assistant in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am not micromanaged, am trusted like an adult. This means if I have a doctor's appt or something, I am never questioned as I'm leaving or when I come back, on where I've been. After 90 days, automatically received 10 days worth of vacation time, and about 7 days worth of sick leave that re-accumulates every pay period. My boss is the best, my department is great. Everyone likes each other, we all get along, we all treat each other with respect and just expect that everyone's doing their job.

Cons

Not every department is like mine. I know two people who work for two different departments. Person A is micromanaged horribly. He takes heat for clocking in 5 minutes early to clocking out late or too early, or not going on his assigned lunch breaks for the assigned period of time, or showing up at a meeting 2 minutes early, "It's 758am, I told you the meeting wasn't until 8am." That is exactly what happened to him one time. It's not his fault, it's just his supervisor has control issues who doesn't trust any body and is anal retentive about everything. I have occasionally had to work with the supervisor of Person B and it's similar to what Person A goes through. This particular supervisor is one of those people who brings her emotions to the job, "I don't like this. I don't want to do it. Do it this way, not that way because that's the way I like it. What are you doing? Let me watch you and call you and check up on you for everything that I asked you to do." It's so much it becomes overbearing and her trust issues start to show. You get treated as if you're some dishonest child that can't be left alone to do a job.

Also, salaries are too low, like most people have complained. I would need a $7,000 raise just to be on par with what the Virginia average is for someone with my kind of degree and in my position.

Advice to Management

None, my boss is great. He is helping me hone valuable skills that equal more pay in the long-term whether he knows this or not. So kudos to him for asking me to do or learn to do stuff with certain pieces of software that helps him with his job and helps me become more desirable financially.

5. "Program Coordinator - Graduate Program in Public Health"

Former Employee - Research Coordinator in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Research Coordinator in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Providing support for students trying to make a positive impact was inspiring and rewarding.
    Attending graduate level courses and professional development seminars provided many educational opportunities.

Cons

EVMS as a whole, and the School of Health Sciences specifically, is a viper pit of narcissists. The leadership are completely self-serving and unethical, and do not have the best interests of the students, the instructors, or the community as a whole, in mind at all. The leadership operate with the goal of self-promotion only, at the expense of many hard-working staff, instructors, and students. They have even made decisions that knowingly jeopardize the health and safety of their staff, when it served for their own promotion.

Advice to Management

Go home and re-evaluate your lives. If you find yourself taking credit for the hard work of others, throwing people under the bus in order to promote your own selfish ambitions, lying on a regular basis under the guise of policy-making, or risking the health & happiness of those who work for you, then you are probably an unconscionable egomaniac and should seek counseling.

6. "Research Associate"

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time

Pros

The salary and other benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Management team is somewhat below expectation

7. "Administrative Secretary"

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time

Pros

Good hours, work environment, and benefits

Cons

Low pay and no schooling benefit

8. "Some people don't need Supervisory positions with their derogatory bad attitudes and tone."

I have been working at Eastern Virginia Medical School (More than 10 years)

Pros

Security very professional courteous and always helpful.

Cons

Work in same department over 10 years.New practice manager have picks with staff. Trying to get rid of OLD staff to bring in new staff to control. Downgrades staff in front of other staff and patients. Overlook many complaints from patients and fellow staff members towards current staff. Loud unprofessional tone creates hostile environment for workers. Talk about employees to other employees. Aggressive attitude language towards staff. Show favoritism towards certain staff. Encourages staff to spy and observe other staff members and report to her. Lack of positive communication. Divide staff from others. Discharge patients without them being able to address the situation...most of the time they are discharged on a lie. Antagonize staff she have no reason to dislike just to get them react out of character and fire them.....etc....Everyone scared to speak up because nothing will b done and they may loose their job from retaliation.

Advice to Management

Need a policy to listen and respond appropriately to staff concerns problems with superiors as they would the other way around. Stop covering for managers and doctors when they are wrong. Do surveys for employees about their supervisors problems work atmosphere. Investigate work environment complaints....

9. "Great Sr. Leadership"

Pros

Cons

like any other place, people mostly leave due to their manager and direct supervisors. unfortunately, people have been promoted with job skill but no management skills and it has disrupted departments

Advice to Management

be careful who you promote!

10. "Very stressful position"

Former Employee - Administrative Support
    Former Employee - Administrative Support

I worked at Eastern Virginia Medical School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits were decent as well as the PTO

Cons

Poor work environment, poor leadership

Advice to Management

Put people in leadership positions who know how to be leaders and mentors towards their employees. Also put people in leadership positions who want to see their employees succeed, not fail.