Eastman Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark J. Costa

1,421 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance was a strength at the company but now that is a thing of the past" (in 28 reviews)

• "This makes it difficult for decision-making and communication" (in 55 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Not your dad's Eastman... Thankfully!"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Miami, FL

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have been at Eastman for a long time and can say that if you are adaptable, enjoy challenges and are willing to shape your own role, this is the place to be. The Eastman I work for today has evolved over the years to keep up with a changing environment and demographics, and I like what I see and am proud of contributing to this constant change.

Cons

I do not have any to share.

Advice to Management

Maintain the excitement!

2. "Customer Service Representative"

I have been working at Eastman full-time

Pros

It is fun for someone who likes a more slow paced environment.

Cons

Non at this time

"A Harry Potter Fan Critiques Eastman's Commercial Segments"

I have been working at Eastman full-time

Pros

If you've ever read the Harry Potter series, then you probably remember the four houses of Hogwarts. In the book, first-year students go through a sorting process when they arrive at the school of witchcraft and wizardry, where they each put on a wizard's hat (known as the Sorting Hat) that assigns them to one of the four academic residences based primarily on their personality and ambition.

Similar to Hogwarts, Eastman is divided into four business segments, and as it turns out, their qualities bare striking resemblance to the four houses of Hogwarts. If you're considering joining Eastman in a commercial role, you might find it helpful to know this before you get "sorted."

Fibers is the Hufflepuff House of Eastman. They're loyal, hardworking people, and they'll take anyone. Fibers used to be Eastman's largest business segment by selling cigarette filters, but once the world stopped smoking as much, the business went in decline. That's not to say they haven't worked hard to right the ship: Management was shaken-up, the business was relocated to Switzerland for tax savings, and they're developing some cool new products. But to the rest of Eastman, they're still the Hufflepuffs - good people at heart, but not belonging in any of the other three segments.

Advanced Materials, or AM, is like the Ravenclaw House of Eastman. People in AM tend to be witty, original, and outperformers, though at times a tad eccentric. Everyone is expected to beat their earnings targets 100% of the time. Every time they outperform, the bar gets raised and they are expected to outperform by a larger margin the next time. Then there's the identity issue. Internally, at least, there is never any mention of "Advanced Materials," as the term is only used externally. There are actually three businesses within AM, each headquartered in a different city and each under a different management umbrella. On the positive side, the products are really cool.

Chemical Intermediates (CI) is like the Gryffindor House at Eastman. The people in CI are generally good people, and they always seem to have the company's best interest at heart, even though their performance is generally not up to par with the others. Under a strategy of "just keep doing what we've been doing the last 100 years," CI's margins are approaching zero due to commoditization of virtually all of its products, and there is talk of divesting some product lines. CI is a good place to be if you're wanting to ride it out for a few years and then retire, but if you prefer challenge, you'll be happier in AFP or AM.

Additives & Functional Products, or AFP pairs nicely with Slytherin House. AFP has arguably as good of a talent pool and product portfolio as the others, yet the culture is back-stabbingly cut-throat. As quoted in Harry Potter, "those cunning folk use any means to achieve their ends." It's not uncommon to be yelled at during meetings, asked to sacrifice long-term value to meet short-term targets, and/or leave work crying every day. It is really that bad. But on the positive side, with every challenge comes opportunity. Perhaps you can be the change agent this business desperately needs...

Cons

More broomsticks are needed to travel between Buildings 1 and 280. Consider replacing Skype with the Floo Powder Network.

Advice to Management

Be more like a McGonagal or Flitwick and less like a Lockhart or Snape.

4. "Has been a Great place to work"

Current Employee - Control Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Control Systems Analyst

I have been working at Eastman full-time

Pros

They have good pay and work with you in hours

Cons

No complaints really there can always be improvement but no deal breakers

5. "Eastman Intern Experience"

I have been working at Eastman full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, fun culture and great work life balance.

Cons

only a little time to decide on offers given

6. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Eastman full-time

Pros

great company with challenging positions

Cons

Not many, if you enjoy hard working and rewarding culture

7. "The subcultures matter"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In IT, things are awesome. I work with great people on some pretty cool stuff. I get to stay up to date with the latest technology trends for business and do some pretty fulfilling work.

My management is fantastic. They want the best out of me and for me. They make sure that I'm happy with how things are going and are willing to takes steps if I'm not. There's lots of flexibility in how I do my job as long as the job gets done. Work-life balance is fantastic, things are pretty flexible if I need to move around my hours a bit to accommodate my home life.

I feel like I get to be myself here and don't need to hide who I am. I have met some great friends working for Eastman. I would definitely recommend working in IT at Eastman.

Cons

Things outside of IT don't seem quite as nice, but I can't really say first hand. I have heard from some people outside of IT that their line of management isn't great, but I suppose there will always be some of that in a company. Culture in the different areas can be pretty different.

There has also been lots of turnover lately. It seems that Eastman has a difficult time keeping younger talent.

Advice to Management

Focus on great culture. If you take care of your employees then your employees will take care of you.

8. "IT"

I have been working at Eastman full-time

Pros

There are many challenging opportunities.

Cons

Use of the Relative Performance Assessment process

9. "Transformation is driving growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Results of investments in new technology and platforms is starting to come to fruition.

Focus on building new capabilities in people that will help both the company and the person grow.

Increased commitment to Inclusion and Diversity. Starting to see the impact of that work on the culture of the organization in a positive way.

Cons

Some people continue to not recognize why the company needs to change to remain competitive and ensure employees have a job to come to. If we don't change, we won't be successful.

Advice to Management

Invest in the company's infrastructure and enabling functions to keep up with the growth trajectory for the rest of the company. Investments in Commercial and Technology organizations are great and setting the stage for our future, however without more investment in the other functions, will limit how much growth will ultimately take place.

10. "Market Development Manager"

Current Employee - Market Development Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Market Development Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and I have been given strong opportunities in terms of projects.

Cons

Lack of clarity around workstreams and who needs to be approached for what help

Advice to Management

Clearer path of progression for the younger leadership

Showing 1,421 of 1,528 reviews