Eastman Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Eastman Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance was a strength at the company but now that is a thing of the past (in 28 reviews)

• Complex hierarchy, slow decision-making process (in 56 reviews)

1. "Eastman Chemical Company is a great place to work."

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

employee empowerment, benefits, diverse job availability, advancement opportunities, family culture, management transparency

Cons

Frequent management turnover can at times cause diisruptions.

2. "Well-run company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries, strong company leadership, friendly and collegial atmosphere, management has a solid ethical and moral compass.

Cons

There is some fear of taking risk ingrained in the culture. Also, telecommuting is not widely accepted.

"Rewarding career in a great company culture and team"

Current Employee - Director in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Director in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman has a history of hard working employees that are creative in solving problems. Over the past six to eight years the culture has focused on growth and is in the middle of trransforming their portfolio. Employees are encoruaged to be collaborative and work as a team. As employees we are proud to be a member of the Eastman team

Cons

As with most companies that are undergoing change there are risks of getting away from those things that got you were you are. Change should be executed with understanding of what were the strengths and leverage those strengths versus just changing for the sake of changing.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of what made Eastman the strong company it is in the process of making changes. We do not want to implement a culture similar to GE.

"My 27 years at Eastman has resulted in significant personal and professional growth"

Current Employee - Manager in Texas City, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Texas City, TX

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Care for employees (safety, wellness, work:rest balance)
    Recognition and reward of talent (challenging jobs, relocation, compensation)

Cons

Large company results in some challenges. Eastman manages this as well as any.

5. "I've spent most of my career at Eastman with opportunity to grow, advance and try new things."

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are high caliber and enjoyable to work with. Management is pretty accessible and willing to listen. The large site I am located at has allowed multiple opportunities for me to pursue career changes without relocation.

Cons

There are sometimes hints of the old boys network. New HR policies are very time consuming for managers and punishing to most. In the past, we have not been aggressive enough about performance issues but the new relative performer and rating systems threaten to undermine the teamwork and openness that has for many years contributed to our company's success.

Advice to Management

Reconsider new HR policies. They are entirely too time consuming and a distraction from managing the business. Consider how to best deal with less than satisfactory performers without implementing a quota which forces even some satisfactory performers into getting no raises.

6. "This is one of the best places I have ever worked at!"

Current Employee - Pricing in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Pricing in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Good opportunities for learnind and advancement. Great place to live and raise a family. Eastman culture is one of the best out there.

Cons

Kingsport is a small town and some may not like that. Still has your typical corporate life feel. The company is changing for the good, but you must be willing to change as well.

Advice to Management

Keep the great culture that George Eastman instilled over 90 years ago and this company will continue to be a great place to work.

7. "Over a long career I have always found Eastman to be an exceptional place to work!"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is extremely well managed with strong and capable leadership at all levels. The focus on safety, both personal and process, is relentless in an extremely caring and ethical way. A great deal of attention is paid to employee development and satisfaction to allow each person to contribute to their full potential and to be amply rewarded for it. There is a very team-oriented and collaborative work culture throughout the company. The desire to help each other in every way possible is pervasive throughout the company on a daily basis. There is great alignment of purpose through all levels of management. Leadership communication with all employees is excellent!

Cons

In a highly competiitive business situation there is a constant need to be sure the company is doing all that it takes on all fronts to achieve and sustain success. Sometimes there are changes needed that are difficult to explain well enough to ensure that everyone is totally satisfied with the changes. If asked about cons some emplyees might think there have been "take-aways" in benefits over the years that weren't truly necessary. In reality, all the changes have been critical to on-going business success and company management has worked very hard to help everyone understand.

Advice to Management

Continue down the path you're following seeking an optimal balance among business, production, development, and people focus. It's obviously working!

8. "Truly a great company"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eastman has a very strong senior management team that provides clear direction and leadership for the company. The company fosters a collaborative work environment based on trust and mutual respect.

Cons

Not many negatives for the company. Eastman is very focused on well-define processes, which has been a key factor in its success. However, sometimes that process can prevent the nimble decision-making needed in an increasingly competitive market.

Advice to Management

Increase focus on innovation and creating an atmosphere that encourages and rewards entrepreneurial initiative and leadership

9. "Eastman cares about its people"

Current Employee - Global Product and Pricing Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Global Product and Pricing Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eastman cares about its people through open communication, training opportunities, career advancement and work-life balance - SAFETY is a top priority. I like the focus on innovation and customer engagement to drive results.

Cons

Historically, the feeling was that in order to advance your career you had to go through Kingsport, TN. My observation is that this mindset is changing and that there are growth opportunities globally.

10. "Eastman Chemical has been a great company for me to earn a living and support my family."

Current Employee - Human Resources in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many pros to working at Eastman. Those at the top of my list include: location--East Tennessee is a beautiful place to live and offers many outdoor activities; salary--among the best in the area; opportunities to advance--so many different areas to work in and learn new skills; quality coworkers--high standards for contribution and behavior; leadership--many managers are invested in the success of their employees; community--Eastman is very supportive of the local community and strives to be a good neighbor and the community benefits as a result; benefit package--Eastman offers competitive health, dental and retirement packages; health and wellness focus--many opportunities and encouragement to be fit and conscious of health.

Cons

There are hazards of working at any chemical company. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and watch out for your coworkers. The smells of the plant can be intense and unpleasant at times.

Advice to Management

Words to live by: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Showing 291 of 1,370 reviews