Eastman "decision making" Reviews | Glassdoor

Eastman Employee Reviews about "decision making"

Updated Sep 24, 2019

3.7
Eastman Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa
Pros
Cons
  • "Decision making is a very lengthy process, an employee needs to have a champion to have a career(in 43 reviews)

• "Small town, large company -- transitioning to global company is difficult(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "decision making"

Return to all Reviews

"A Cultural Advantage Makes Eastman a Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Culture is very collaborative, ethical and caring, but still high performing. Strategy to move towards specialty products seems to be working with lots of upside.

Cons

Tend to be too conservative in decision making

Advice to Management

Continue current strategy and don't get impatient

Eastman2018-05-03
  2. "Decent"

Current Employee - Team Manager

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is decent and Benefits are decent

Cons

Work to life balance. Rotating schedule. Lack of true leadership and decision making.

Eastman2019-09-25
  3. "Good place to work!"

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work/life balance for the most part, great fitness classes on premises during lunch and after work, good salary especially considering cost of living in area can easily afford one income living, numerous interesting projects to work on

Eastman2019-02-11
  4. "Highly Recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX

I have been working at Eastman full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great compensation, flexible schedules. Of course, most of this depends on the area you go into and your manager. If you find yourself in a job that does not reflect "great" then certainly look into transferring into another job within the company.

Cons

No job is perfect, but the only cons I can think of are that we have a LOT of management--layers upon layers of management. This makes it difficult for decision-making and communication. You don't know who is responsible for a decision or who needs to be involved, which ultimately leads to time wasted and people upset over not being "in the loop". Also, our bonus system is nice, but causes drama. For instance, when individuals are rated well and receive a nice bonus, it's hard to enjoy because you hear others very upset about their ranking and we are told that people ranked well get their bonus from the people that are not ranked well (take from the "low" performers and give to the "high" performers). This makes good performers feel a bit guilty, despite how well-deserved the "high" ranking is. No Paternity leave, which is critical to the health of our families. I struggled with adjusting to life with a newborn and my husband had no paternity leave (he works for the same company) which made my situation much more stressful being home alone with a newborn and no support.

Advice to Management

Maybe the bonus system has been misrepresented, but we are told that management must rank us 1-10 (or however many are in a group) and regardless of how well the individuals have done, the bottom rankings have their bonuses reduced. If this is a communication issue the I would recommend communicating directly with employees about how it works instead of allowing word-of-mouth to be the only explanation. Research the benefits of paternity leave and consider adding it.

Eastman2017-05-15
  5. "Specialty Chemical Company"

Current Employee - Technology in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The strategy to develop into a specialty chemical company makes Eastman an extremely exciting place to work. Every business team supports a balance of productivity and growth initiatives and focus to deliver results. The people are talented and work with sense of urgency. I really like working in the technology organization at Eastman.

Cons

There are some of the usual big company issues at Eastman; specifically, the two biggest complaints are some activities can be process heavy and decision making can sometimes be slow. People need to develop some process knowledge and political savvy to get things done or they become very frustrated.

Advice to Management

My advice is mostly to keep up the good work. Your people are a great asset to continue to provide a work environment that attracts and maintains talent.

Eastman2017-01-21

"Great Employees, Poor Management"

Former Employee - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Eastman full-time for less than a year

Pros

The strength of Eastman will always be the boots on the ground. Coworkers are friendly and genuinely motivated to help you succeed. Front line management is focused on providing their employees with the tools they need to do their jobs. They also excel at mentoring and growing their employees. Driven and successful people are highly rewarded.

Cons

There are many layers of middle management, and from the bottom it is unclear how much value they add. Lower middle management (just above front-line supervisors) tends to be populated by yes-men that have little understanding of the processes or people they manage. Ineffective managers who have impressed somebody in the past are shuffled around to where they can do the least damage. Kingsport is a small town, and those who's parents work at Eastman get promoted with uncanny regularity. Decision-making is slow (except in the case of a manager's pet project!) such that most good ideas are not commercialized until the market has moved on and the product will no longer be profitable. The Executive Suite like to talk about the strength of Eastman's employees and how they are the reason for the company's success, especially before and after announcing layoffs or benefit reductions so the company can meet its earning growth targets. Layoffs are often done quietly. What was once a very paternalistic company where "Uncle George" Eastman took care of his employees is quickly becoming an investor-focused profit machine.

Advice to Management

To the executive team, remember that a company's stakeholders need to win in order for the company to succeed. Pursuing profit at the expense of employee benefits damages moral and hurts the company just as much, if not more, than neglecting maintenance on equipment. To non-executive management, continue to advocate for your people. Give them the room to thrive and reward them for meeting company objectives. Make those objectives useful and achievable.

Eastman2016-11-14
  7. "One of the best places to work"

Research in Kingsport, TN

I worked at Eastman for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities, lots of learnings of new fields, businesses and skills. One of the best and ethical management. Safety oriented, very good work-life balance. Employees are valued and provided with lots of training classes useful for future positions. Generous base salary and fair benefits. Best of all, I made lifelong friends and coworkers at Eastman.

Cons

The location is not for everyone. Can be slow in decision making process and immigration support. It will really be hard for you to adjust to another company after working for Eastman (probably the reason people boomerang).

Advice to Management

Keep putting people first. Be more willing to innovate and explore out of your comfort zone (technologically)

Eastman2016-09-17
  8. "A good company going through a difficult time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnson City, TN

I worked at Eastman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Capable senior management, many of whose are promoted from within and have long institutional knowledge.

Cons

Very slow decision making, hierarchical and people in HQ are known to be "passive aggressive."

Advice to Management

Bring more new blood into the company, and provide more rotational assignments.

Eastman2016-03-16
  9. "Best place to launch your career"

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoy working with friendly people, slow paced and relaxed work environment. Not a lot red tape and politics that is expected of a huge company.

Cons

Not a fast paced environment that you would expect of a growing company, great people but take a lot of time and deliberations in decision making.

Advice to Management

Need to focus more on helping young recruits navigate through the challenges they face in their first job out of college. All or most of them have a steep learning curve, which might lead to them planning a change of job sooner or later

Eastman2015-10-26
  10. "Truly a Great Place to Work"

Current Intern - Intern in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman for more than a year

Pros

The culture is extremely collaborative and everyone is willing to help you. As an intern, I have been given meaningful projects and have had the opportunity to work with many wonderful mentors.

Cons

Their often compassionate culture can sometimes be reflected as passive-aggressive in stressful or negative situations. This often times creates friction and delays decision making.

Advice to Management

Continue to create an open culture by openly discussing any conflicts that occur in the workplace. Address concerns sooner and do not be afraid to address situations before they escalate too much. Open communication is necessary to a healthy work environment.

Eastman2015-10-09