Eastman "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Eastman Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 29, 2019

3.7
Eastman Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa
Pros
Cons
  • "Decision making is a very lengthy process, an employee needs to have a champion to have a career(in 43 reviews)

• "Small town, large company -- transitioning to global company is difficult(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place To Work"

Current Intern - SQL Database Administrator

I have been working at Eastman for less than a year

Pros

Flexible, Great work-life balance, challenging and changing pay

Cons

large corporate environment, security permissions makes it hard to get your job done sometimes, a necessary evil in a large corporate setting.

Eastman2019-08-14

"Deteriorating Culture"

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent benefits, fair pay, good work life balance

Cons

We got a new CIO about a year ago. That CIO openly admitted to lying about reorganizations and restructuring in an open Q&A session. Company culture is shifting to be a lot more cut-throat with relative performance assessments (forced ranking with set targets for number of people 'not meeting' expectations). Some leaders outside of IT are able exert too much influence over how IT recognizes and promotes talent. Most frustrating recently is when the least competent candidate is selected for leadership potential and despite constantly making poor choices (leading to high performers leaving the company), nothing is done about it.

Advice to Management

Stop lying and actually penalize poor performers even if they have a long history of contribution.

Eastman2019-08-06
  3. "Chemical Engineer"

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of independence, guidance from senior engineers, good compensation and work life balance. It has been a very fulfilling experience so far

Cons

There are some issues with integrating small sites to work fully with the larger main manufacturing site

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with employees about where the company is headed and why

Eastman2019-06-17

"Eastman"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for to grow. However, compensation can be low.

Cons

Work life balance can suffer.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees for the job they do, not how long they have been with the company.

Eastman2019-06-07
  5. "Great place to be"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive

I worked at Eastman full-time

Pros

manager was awesome and fair

Cons

work life balance could be better

Eastman2019-03-13
  6. "Great Emphasis on Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX

I have been working at Eastman full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Pay and work-life balance. They tell you to go home if you are working too much.

Cons

A lot of people feel that they are underpaid, but I am not sure. Benefits are nice, but the deductibles are high on health insurance. The bonus is good, but the company bases it on its own performance. They have some measures, but a lot of it feels arbitrary.

Advice to Management

Change the bonus system to reflect the pure fact that we know things will occur. The vibe is that the company has to be perfect in order to get the baseline bonus.

Eastman2019-02-22
  7. "Good place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work/life balance for the most part, great fitness classes on premises during lunch and after work, good salary especially considering cost of living in area can easily afford one income living, numerous interesting projects to work on

Eastman2019-02-11

"Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for less than a year

Pros

The other engineers I work with are extremely smart and capable, and our team's boss is very committed to using the talents of her team efficiently and helping us reach our career goals, even when that means moving to a different team or department within the company. There are some good training opportunities offered both to new employees and veteran engineers. The culture of Eastman encourages work-life balance and focuses on collaboration between employees rather than competition to perform. The Kingsport site is very large, so mechanical engineers have a great opportunity to get experience with several different types of equipment and support multiple processes.

Cons

Some of the initiatives that upper management is pushing seem to be geared towards making the company seem more streamlined, rather than increasing the efficiency and safety of plant operations. It would also help if upper management was more transparent with their employees about the state of the company and how money will be spent.

Eastman2018-10-31

"The subcultures matter"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In IT, things are awesome. I work with great people on some pretty cool stuff. I get to stay up to date with the latest technology trends for business and do some pretty fulfilling work. My management is fantastic. They want the best out of me and for me. They make sure that I'm happy with how things are going and are willing to takes steps if I'm not. There's lots of flexibility in how I do my job as long as the job gets done. Work-life balance is fantastic, things are pretty flexible if I need to move around my hours a bit to accommodate my home life. I feel like I get to be myself here and don't need to hide who I am. I have met some great friends working for Eastman. I would definitely recommend working in IT at Eastman.

Cons

Things outside of IT don't seem quite as nice, but I can't really say first hand. I have heard from some people outside of IT that their line of management isn't great, but I suppose there will always be some of that in a company. Culture in the different areas can be pretty different. There has also been lots of turnover lately. It seems that Eastman has a difficult time keeping younger talent.

Advice to Management

Focus on great culture. If you take care of your employees then your employees will take care of you.

Eastman2018-09-27
  10. "Eastman Intern Experience"

I have been working at Eastman full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, fun culture and great work life balance.

Cons

only a little time to decide on offers given

Eastman2018-09-28