Eaton Reviews | Glassdoor

Craig Arnold

1,663 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance manageable only if living within 5km radius (in 70 reviews)

• Eaton is a large company that has a clear goal of making shareholders money (in 28 reviews)

"Solid company with great ambitions and a proven track record"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Good midwest company that is trying to become a world recognized name.

Cons

Heavy turnover (i.e. relocation) is expected for promotions. Lack of presense in geographically desirable cities, outside of California.

Advice to Management

Split the job of CEO and Chairman. Limit the compensation packages (including equity) to top management, and become better stewards for shareholders by not diluting equity to fund acquisitions (think of equity as something very precious - part with it only if get something of greater value in return).

"Trucks are boring, why are we doing this job?"

Current Employee - Engineer in Shenandoah, IA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Shenandoah, IA

Pros

Has grown alot and diversified over the past 5+ years. Decent but shrinking benefits package.

Cons

1. Where are we going from here? I don't know. I wonder if Sandy is beginning to inflate the coinage of Eaton PR and retire on his laurels.

2. Every year you fill out a long and winding employee engagement / satisfaction survey, and every year every plant forms teams to address the poor results, and every year the employee satisfaction gets lower. For the past 10 years at least.

3. Do I dare say it? Trucks, hydraulics, and staple electronics are all dull. Yes, noble ... but dull.

Advice to Management

1. Where are we going? We're dying for lack of the vision we had 5 years ago.

2. Read "First, Break All the Rules" and focus on the 12 questions identified by that research. Pare back the ridiculous million dollar surveys to a mini-survey focused on those 12 ingredients. The survey needs to differentiate, rating "my survey" and rating "plant leadership" and rating "the CEO team" separately. The shop floor supervisor gets beaten for changes made by senior leadership, and vice versa.

"Eaton top management lacks creativity to be a true leader, follows other companies policies and practices."

Former Employee - Technologist in Marshall, MI
    Former Employee - Technologist in Marshall, MI

Pros

For the right person that came from the right schools and/or the right connections, career opportunities are very good. As you move up the career ladder, the salaries and benefits get really good, after a certain level, it's TOO good.

Cons

Long hours, piss-poor management planning, no real chance for career growth for the majority of the employees.

Advice to Management

Quit trying so hard to make the company "look" great instead of actually making it great. Forget about all the fake company videos forcing employees to put on a big smile for the camera when in reality there's little to smile about. Deal with real issues facing the little guy and they'll bend over backwards to make the company great for everyone. And quit forcing all this bogus ethical training on the little guy, they're the only ethical people in the company, if you want ethical behavior, better start sending people to training from the top down.

4. "Eaton - truly a great company"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Pros

Leadership at all levels. Exciting company that values its employees and has a vision of where it is going

Cons

The locations of many of our plants in the US are in very rural areas.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Beltsville sucks"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The money was good and the overall experience was not bad.

Cons

The site I worked at had huge problems that I do not believe reflect on Eaton as a whole. The management at the site was incompetent and did not value the employees. They did not follow corporate directives and were horrible leaders. The management was made up of a group of people who worked together and it was very much an "old boys" network.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the site management at various sites, especially Beltsville, MD.

6. "Eaton- a solid but hardnosed company"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Eaton is acquiring related competitors and growing at a solid rate. Future looks good at Eaton.

Cons

Worklife balance is non-existing. Comp time or overtime pay would show that management really appreciates its salaried workers.

Advice to Management

Consider keeping U.S. plants open. Profitable plants are closing at a rapid rate just so ROS can improve a couple of points.

"Eaton - room for improvement"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Technician in Greenwood, SC
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Technician in Greenwood, SC

Pros

Safe, comfortable environment (in my plant). Management seems committed to employee safety, and rewarding the workforce when safety or sales milestones are met.

Cons

Miserable, hot working conditions at an Eaton plant in this city. Office politics rules the day, every day. Subpar compensation... for the life of me I cannot understand how managers sleep at night during "review" season. Some of the best performers routinely get paltry 2% annual raises. This does not only apply to Eaton, but our CEO's total annual compensation is in the decamillions, which is completely outrageous, especially in light of the information from the previous sentence.

Advice to Management

There is such a thing as a bad customer. Heed the "80/20" rule; 80% of your headaches come from 20% of your customers... get rid of that 20%.

"It's a stable company..."

Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The best reasons for working at Eaton has to be the large network of support. There's pretty much a process in place for everything so people have a chance to get training in a variety of areas related to their work. The company is pretty stable and they do celebrate successes. The goals and feedback system is well defined and setting the goals in line with upper management is well understood. Plenty of networking opportunities and communication about the other lines of business are clear as well. The company is driven by metrics which means that a lot of success has to be concrete which eliminates a lot of subjective judgments that managers quite often mess up.

Cons

The downside is that the work is not all that interesting. There is more focus on cost cutting, process improvements and backward compatibility rather than advancing the technology through new innovations. There is of course new innovations but quite often products are based on old reference designs with lots of restrictions. This often removes the "fun" out of the engineering as we are marching our work toward a cost goal rather than a innovation goal. Another issue with working there is that because the company is so metric driven they quite often treat workers as assets rather than real people.

Advice to Management

Senior Management does not understand that a culture cannot be cultivated strictly through achieving a certain score or metric but through building an organization through the people. The focus on results have produced a company which is strong financially but rather impersonal in dealing with its workers. Since everything is done through a process senior management needs to understand its workers better and adapt to changes especially when acquiring other companies.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Eaton is very interested in building great employees. This results in great training and education opportunities, challenging assignements, opportunites to travel, and many chances to have your voice heard by others. I never feel like I can't share my ideas or concerns with management.

The company also practices what they preach. In the annual reports and employee meetings they talk about being ethical, honest, and good corporate citizens. I have seen several cases of these standards being enforced and not in a way to satisify the "bare minimum". This makes me feel proud to work for the company and well as confident that if I have any issues they won't be just glossed over.

Cons

Like most companies in this economny there are always times of the year where we have to watch all spending. If this happens to be when your travel or training is scheduled it is likely to be cut. Also it seems that we are always tasked with doing more with less... less people, less resources, less time.

Also like most places there are always those people that you just don't like to work with (or for). If you get stuck working with this type of person everything can seem much worse. Luckily, there are usually opportunities to move to other postions within the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to "talk the talk and walk the walk". I have seen so much improvement over the last few years in communciation and employee engagment, but there is still some improvement that needs to be done. For example, some places become start living EBS a few months before an audit, but the momentum dies a few weeks after the audit is over.

"Long-term employment will require mobility. Employees not in mfg or sales should know more about their products."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westerville, OH

Pros

Recognized as a leader in many fields, Eaton hires great people and has a good salary and benefits package. I worked for the company for a long time and would still be there today had they not closed the plant.

Cons

Sometimes the company sees itself as the "Cadillac" product when the market is really looking for a "Chevrolet" solution. There is a MAJOR disconnect between support services (IT, Finance, etc.) and the manufacturing and sales functions. This causes problems when the IT group tries to implement software and does not understand the processes of a manufacturing facility or support a sales person when they call in for help with their PC. If you are looking for a place to work for the rest of your life, be prepared to move every 8-10 years.

Advice to Management

Make sure that EVERYONE in the company knows the direction of the business and is at least a little familiar with the products.

Showing 1,663 of 1,805 reviews