Ecclesiastical Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ecclesiastical Insurance Group Group CEO Mark Hews
Mark Hews

1. "Ex - EIG"

Pros

Generally a good employer with a positive ethos and a warm atmosphere; doing their best in a difficult market

Cons

Despite the small size of the company and the Irish branch in particular could be very bureaucratic and too attached to hierarchies

2. "Great people - shame about the management"

Former Employee - Claims in Gloucester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Claims in Gloucester, England (UK)

I worked at Ecclesiastical Insurance Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really great people who work there - very supportive and friendly. The employees really care about what they do and how the company acts. People I spoke to in other departments seemed content and happy.

Cons

I can only speak for claims which is where I worked - I found the management in this area by far the most difficult I've ever encountered. The impression I got was that all they cared about were their own positions - it felt as if they cared little for their employees.

Advice to Management

Generally a good company - take a serious look at claims management to see why so many good people left.

3. "Friendly environment, flexi hours; brief time there though."

Former Intern - Clerk in Gloucester, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Clerk in Gloucester, England (UK)

I worked at Ecclesiastical Insurance Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company allowed relatively flexible hours which was convenient, and the general office vibe was friendly and seemed to have good morale. I didn't work there for very long so cannot be definite about my assessment, but appeared to be well-led. Also quite an ethical company.

Cons

I have been informed that promotions can be a bit scarce, but cannot comment personally. Location, Gloucester, isn't the best and I don;t think there's much scope for movement.

5. "Nice relaxed place to work"

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Gloucester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Gloucester, England (UK)

I have been working at Ecclesiastical Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly teams to work with, they also provided flexi time which is rarely available elsewhere. Other benefits included a good, pension, training etc. and also an ethical company to work for

Cons

The main reason for me to leave Ecclesiastical was the location in Gloucester. Also there are potentially less progression opportunities available in comparison to larger companies.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Great company - but needs to move with the times and at greater pace"

I worked at Ecclesiastical Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic values - genuinely lives by them. Good people. Good benefits (pension, holiday).

Cons

Often, people too 'nice'. Too shielded from what's happening in the outside world and how the industry is moving forward. It's heritage can act like a ball and chain around it's ankle. Lots of staff don't appreciate just how good a company it is to work for.

Advice to Management

Talk to each other - agree strategy - agree plans - drive relentlessly - act as 'one team' not a group of separate.

"A Company Struggling to Find it's Identity"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Gloucester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Gloucester, England (UK)

I worked at Ecclesiastical Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid set of employee benefits. Some great individuals, and generally a friendly office environment. Good opportunities for interesting work if you can handle the futility of it all.

Cons

Due to an increasing pressure to "get stuff done", lots of thrashing about from upper management with constantly changing priorities and minimal strategy. Incompetent try-hards being promoted, further compounding the problem.

Advice to Management

Try to have some vision, and reward competence rather than apparent effort.

8. "Great Company!"

Pros

(Canada Branch) Small company with very high employee interaction with experienced senior management. Taking on responsibilities is encouraged and good employees are rewarded. Career advancement is not limited. Work life balance is respected. As a small company they won't be able to offer some of the most flexible benefits out there, but this is definitely made up in the way they treat employees, allow time off for personal days, allow time off for emergencies, etc. Because the company is not shareholder driven, most of the pressures are not present as you would find with many larger organizations. As it is a small company, you get a very wide range of experience. As a specialist insurer, you understand your products and business very well in a short period of time. Honesty and integrity are at the fore. Fun, relaxed environment. No take home stress!

Cons

As there are only a few core products, the scope of work can be limited at times, however, this is made up in the rate at which you will learn the business of insurance. Not a large company, some of the bells and whistles aren't present.

Advice to Management

Keep a record of promises made to employees. Don't break that psychological contract formed at the beginning by not delivering on promises due to circumstances and your small size/business demands. If you can't keep a promise, then sit with the employee and state why and discuss options.