Echo English (Thailand) Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2021

3.2

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

1. 5.0

Great family company

Mar 18, 2021 - Foreign English Teacher in Bangkok
    Business Outlook

Pros

Always available, very pleasant company members, very helpful

Cons

Can't think of any really

Continue reading
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee

ESL Teacher

Apr 5, 2021 - ESL Teacher in Lop Buri
    Business Outlook

Pros

Got me out there Short contract

Cons

Poor communication between teachers and agency

3. 2.0

Ehh

Feb 2, 2021 - Teacher in Bangkok
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you need an agency to get you a job, this one is fine, but if you need any other assistance they probably won't answer your email.

Cons

They are fine but nothing special

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great start to the world of ESL (and Thailand)

May 18, 2019 - English Teacher in Chanthaburi
    Business Outlook

Pros

Echo English is a great company to work through when it is your first time working/ living abroad. The Echo English team was very helpful prior to arrival as well as during my stay. I did not feel over whelmed as Echo provided me with the necessary training and an introduction to Thai in order to start my journey as an English Teacher. Echo helped with the visa process, police clearance and finding accommodation. Kerry always checked up on me to find out if everything was okay and whether any help was needed. She was always there if I had any problems and never hesitated to help out. I will always be grateful for the opportunity I had working for Echo as that is the company that kick started and fueled my ESL career. Thanks to them I am now teaching and travelling the world.

Cons

Payment was a little low compared to other companies/ schools.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A great gap year spent teaching with Echo

Apr 23, 2019 - Teacher in Bangkok
    Business Outlook

Pros

Help securing a job and given support with all aspects of moving to a different country. Great communication through emails with Kerry. Prompt response to all queries prior to arriving in Bangkok. Sid and Kerry very helpful throughout my time teaching in Bangkok, from picking me up from the airport to sorting out my work permit, helping open a bank account and also finding a great apartment. Having the support of Echo made my first-time teaching experience stress free and would recommend to anyone especially to those new to teaching and/or Thailand.

Cons

It can take a while for your work permit to be processed however I was guided through the steps to ensure I had a valid visa and was given regular updates regarding this.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Forever Thankful! Echo Opened Doors and Changed My Life!

May 1, 2019 - English Teacher in Chanthaburi
    Business Outlook

Pros

If it's your first time teaching or your first time going to Thailand, Echo English is an amazing company to work through. Echo provides you with training (a great intro to Thailand and what to expect as a new teacher), a job, an accommodation connection near your school, and visa support as well as any other support you may need during your time in Thailand. I worked with Echo English for two terms (roughly a year) and never had any issues near the extent to some of the other reviews mention. I am currently still teaching and traveling the world because I had such a positive experience during my time with Echo. Prior to moving to Thailand, Echo had communicated with me effectively, answering all of my questions in a timely manner and I had A LOT! Nonetheless, they made me feel very comfortable embarking on my journey to Thailand which transformed to a major milestone in my life. Not only were they helpful before arrival, but they were there to answer any of my questions during my time in Thailand. Echo English provides a warm and welcoming environment for anyone looking to move to Thailand and broaden their horizons. I know many people who are still living and teaching abroad because of the opportunities Echo English provides! Great company and great people!

Cons

Salary. If you talk about your salary with teachers at other schools you'll find you get paid less. However, Echo English is a job placement and support company that provides guidance and assistance throughout your entire teaching journey from start to finish. Also, Echo informs you of your salary before you accept the job. You know what you will be getting paid. Nothing is hidden from you. I understood this and accepted the job with Echo because of the additional benefits including visa guidance, TEFL training, a job, and accommodation assistance. If you feel comfortable moving to a foreign country and searching for a job without any assistance then I say, “go for it!” That wasn’t the case for me. Echo made the stress and anxiety of moving to Thailand minimal and they were there for me every step of the way.

Continue reading
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great way to start in teaching in Thailand

Jun 19, 2019 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Echo English is a great way to start teaching in Thailand and get experience. Everyone is super helpful and made the transition to start working really smooth.

Cons

I saw some teachers say the salary is low, but it's standard for Thai schools, and very comfortable to live on. And, the salary is increased if teachers stay after one term.

8. 1.0

Find Another Agency

Mar 21, 2019 - ESL Teacher in Lop Buri
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you're looking for a short-term teaching contract in Thailand, Echo will provide that service. That's about all they do...

Cons

I had a terrible overall experience with this company and I would not suggest coming to Thailand with them. I had plenty of small, bad experiences with them which all the current teachers can attest to. I also had an extremely scary and awful experience with them when they told me they would take care of my visa and work permit, and then I was almost deported for working illegally. I kept asking them for help and they just kept saying how I was fine and they were taking care of things. Then why were the police showing up at my apartment looking for me??? I even witnessed another person living in my town (not working with Echo) get in trouble for that same reason, spend a few nights in JAIL and then banned from Thailand for 5 years. I was terrified, and in the end they told me they wouldn't help me with my paperwork unless I would stay with them another term. I said no and quit, and found a better job which immediately took care of my paperwork. That's also when I realized that the Echo school I worked for was the lowest paying in the whole town. Every other school pays more, provides health insurance, pays over the holidays, and some even give bonuses! Echo does none of this. Also do not get your TESL with them. Yes it's fun because you're on Koh Phangan, but it's badly organized, unprofessional, and way over-priced. Kerry and Sid seem like great people and Echo feels like a nice, family-owned company. The reality is that every teacher that works for them gets 25% of their salary taken and it all goes to Sid and Kerry. Considering how many schools and teachers they work with, this adds up very quickly and they make a TON of money off of you. I have witnessed them screw over countless people and I would honestly suggest avoiding this company and finding a better one. TESOL Tree, English and I, Fun Language, Language Institute of Lopburi are just a few companies I can think of that are infinitely better than Echo.

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Know what you're getting yourself into

Mar 21, 2019 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

They give you a job.

Cons

I worked with Echo for three terms and the only reason I stayed was because I genuinely enjoyed my class so while they do their job of placing you in a school, that is literally the only service they provide. They are meant to be your liaison in a foreign country and are not only ridiculously unprofessional but also do not provide any additional support after they ship you off to your respective school. In 18 months I barely saw Kerry and Sid but when I did, Sid smelled like he hadn't showered in days, Kerry's only priority was feeding her kids who she thought she should bring to important school meetings, and it just seemed like a massive and horrific chore for them to come and take care of the people who they employ. After learning more about my school, I found out that the government pay over 40K baht per Echo hire while Echo was paying us 30k, so for a company that is taking 10,000 baht a month per teacher and should help you, getting any assistance is like pulling teeth. I feel like I could go on and on and say specific instances that I had dealt with or that I saw my friends deal with but the moral of the story is the same. They put you in a school and if you're lucky like me you'll enjoy the school but their negligence towards everything else makes Echo the last company I would suggest to anyone trying to come out to Thailand. They talk as though they will take care of you and assist you in anything that you need but it's all words and no actions especially when you need them the most. Personally, the reason I came to Thailand through Echo was because there were no reviews about the company and I'm happy to write one now so that people now know what they are getting into if they decide to work for them.

10. 3.0
    Former Intern

English intern

May 21, 2019 - Intern Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's in Bangkok, and live where you work

Cons

Salary to low. No growth within

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 English Reviews