Echo Global Logistics Carrier Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 44 reviews)

• Over the course of those 6 years I've seen two things remain constant; great people and great culture (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Early start daily and long hours (in 20 reviews)

• Commission structure needs serious adjusting (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Cannot beat the culture!"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has an incredible culture. I have created so many valuable relationships here at Echo that will last a life-time. It is a perfect job as the first job right out of college. It is fun, everyone is outgoing, but at the same time they take the job very seriously. It is definitely a “Work hard-Play hard" environment. There is also a lot of room to grow as the company is expanding and growing non stop. If you are a hard worker, you will be rewarded with compensation, trips, gifts... The company has an open door policy, and when I say that they do, they really truly do. No matter what level you are at, you will be heard.

Cons

The company is great, but the industry of logistics is rough. It is definitely not for someone of a sensitive personality. The industry can either break you or make you stronger. Partially, that is the reason why the company invests into people so much, so the pain of the industry wouldn’t overwhelm people too much. The initial compensation is not very high, but as I said before, if you work hard you will be compensated.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work motivating people and rewarding everyone for the good job that they do and keeping the work place so positive.

Aug 19, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience! It is great to hear the excitement and motivation you share. The Logistics industry can certainly be tough some days, and it is not for everyone, but we ... More

"Carrier Sales Representative"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was reading some of these reviews and wanted to call attention to how wrong some of them are. This is an excellent company to work for, especially for young college grads looking to make more than majority of their friends.

The culture is filled with people eager to work hard, put in their dues & be rewarded for it. It is a grind most of the time but it doesn't shy away from big rewards. This job is entirely what you put into it. If you're able to maintain solid relationships with both carriers & clients, not wanting your typical desk job, and looking to pass the time than there is a great chance this job would benefit you. No, you're not handed carriers on a silver platter and yes, at times management makes you figure out your own issues before cradling you with an answer but I think that is why it is a great jumping off point. Echo gives you a lot of the tools to get started but for the most part, you're entire book of business is what you do with them. I have seen new reps come in hungry and give senior reps a run for their money, I see it every single day. This job is a job to pursue if you're coming right out of college looking to put in the time and be rewarded for it. Yes, you will have to put in some effort though.

I believe our CEO has made it his mission to take care of his employee's. I've had the privilege of meeting with Doug on a couple different locations and he is someone whose footsteps you want to follow in.

Cons

A lack of appreciation for the hours logged and effort put forth

Advice to Management

Showing a little appreciation goes along way.

3. "Carrier Sales"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Awesome atmosphere, especially right out of college
    - Great Benefit Package
    - Very Cool office, startup feel
    - Barista on site
    - Commissions can be HUGE
    - top reps get free trips

Cons

- Commissions are a little vague when you first get hired
    - About a year of no commission before you start hitting minimums
    - Long hours of calls calls calls

5. "very young management"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

sitting in a chair all day

Cons

unhealthy food and stupid stresses over if my toilet paper made it on time to TX.

Advice to Management

Lighten up from policing everyone. Worst case of people micro managing you every day

6. "Hamster Wheel"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Could wear essentially whatever you wanted to work.

Cons

No upward mobility, eat what you kill on a daily basis, base draw.

Advice to Management

Hire less reps, get lighter loads.

Jun 20, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for your review. Having a casual dress code allows our employees to focus on the work at hand. We do have limits to this, however, because we do have visitors walking through each office ... More

"Resume Builder"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Troy, MI

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is pretty laid back and you don't get micro managed. There are some great people at this company that you get to work with. When you get on a roll there are people there to keep you motivated.

Cons

Being ignored by client representatives and managers, very apparent lack of respect and communication skills by some employees. Carrier sales are always receiving the brunt of blame, everything some how is our fault. Obvious favoritism. Lack of career development. High turnover rate.

Advice to Management

More hands on training by all levels of management. Hire within and provide more opportunities for growth. Treat everyone with respect.

Jun 24, 2016 – Sr. Carrier Sales Manager

Thank you for the review. I’m happy to hear you enjoy your teammates in your role – you’re right, the people you work truly help motivate you on a day to day basis and keep the atmosphere light ... More

"Max Facts about ECHO"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

- great culture
    - strong HR relations
    - good money
    - opportunities to grow
    - Long Beach office has good eats all around
    - Parking garage you can use on weekends!!!!

Cons

- no ping pong table
    - no billiards table
    - no foosball table
    - not enough fridge space

Feb 17, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear your experience at Echo has been positive, we work very hard to create a great culture across all of our offices. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to ... More

9. "Almost one year under the belt"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Troy, MI

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relatively stress free environment. Supervisors are very relaxed and do not micro-manage at all allowing you the freedom to structure your day and manage your workload the way you feel comfortable.

Cons

Management is passive to the point where there is a lack of support (at least in the branch office I work off of). There is a lack of culture and with that a lack of moral in the office that can, at times, be toxic.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive and involved in the day to day operations of your employees. As nice as it is to have freedom, production is driven by strong leadership and a commitment to growth through hard work. With no direction employees feel a lack of support and build resentment towards their job. This in turn leads to higher turnover of valuable team members which stunts the growth of the company as a whole.

Feb 17, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for writing a review and providing your feedback. We strive to build a productive, supportive and positive work environment in every single office. If you have more feedback that can help ... More

"Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

You have a job? Nothing.

Cons

If you are fresh out of college, didn't get good grades and want to learn absolutely nothing come to echo.

Advice to Management

be realistic, and stop lying it is the reason you have one of the highest turnover rates in the industry.

Feb 17, 2016 – HR Representative

Thanks for your review. I am sorry to hear that this position wasn’t the right fit for you, the logistics industry is very fast-paced and demanding and is not right for everyone. Wishing you the best ... More

"Boston Branch Carrier Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique work environment with a lot of opportunity and freedom to grow and learn about the industry and sales in general. It is what you make of it, as in any competitive sales job, but if you work hard and take advice from those doing well, it is very rewarding.

The company has multiple offices, but the Boston office is a great place to be, as we have specialized freight that we can focus on, and have grown tremendously over the last year.

The people are awesome. There is no one I'd rather spend 9-12 hour days with. Dress is casual, so you can be comfortable all day long.

If you are competitive and driven, and don't mind being knocked down, this job is a great opportunity to see if you can handle a sales job. The rewards are there if you work for them.

Cons

Working in this industry is not for the faint of heart. There are a lot of ups and downs, but the small office allows you to have access to a manager at all times if you need help with anything.

The hours can be long and tiring, but at least the people are great and it's not a miserable place to be.

Advice to Management

Management is working on recognizing it's sales reps more, but there could be more spiffs and/or incentives for going above and beyond.

Dec 15, 2015 – HR Representative

Thanks for providing thorough feedback and for your contributions to our Carrier Sales team in Boston. We have built a great culture at Echo because we know how difficult the job can be, it is great ... More