Echo Global Logistics National Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 48 reviews)

• The Dallas branch exemplifies the "work hard play hard" mentality very well (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, micro manage, not a great life/work balance (in 28 reviews)

• The commission structure is a rat race (in 21 reviews)

"Dallas Office = First-Rate!"

Former Employee - Senior National Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior National Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and values, exceptional leaders, high growth, market-leading service offering

Cons

Crowded marketplace, difficult to differentiate

Advice to Management

Keep improving technology and use the branches as laboratories of innovation

Apr 20, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback! Our Dallas Branch continues to grow and impress all of us at Echo. We are glad to hear you are enjoying your time here.

"National Account Manager"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can make a very good living here if you put in the work the first few years. If you do the right things.....and have luck on you're side there really is unlimited potential in terms of commissions. Once you have an established book of business and make the company consistent GP you have a lot of freedom to sell how you see fit and not get micro-managed.

Cons

It's a competitive industry and you have to adapt to the times. You're going to lose accounts to price, service failures, management changes, and sometimes for no good reason. You need thick skin to roll with the punches and position yourself to make money through the slow times and when the market flips. The only real con is the work can get very repetitive after several years so you have to find a way to make it tolerable and not burn out.

Advice to Management

Continue to advance technology and position the company to have a competitive edge over other 3PLs. Stop the favoritism and spoon feeding reps house accounts or accounts from turnover reps. Too many top "sales reps" who never really sold much. Aside from that, thank you for the great career and the financial opportunities.

3. "National Accounts Manager"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Office, culture, people and benefits. The work is fun and fast-paced and can be very lucrative when you have established yourself within the company and industry. Recent merger was handled very well and he subsequent integration has gone about as well as one could expect. I feel very confident that he company has established itself to be a top company within an industry that is currently seeing a tremendous amount of consolidation among its major players.

Cons

Hours can be tough and it is hard to initially build ones portfolio. I've been very happy with my experience, but success can vary greatly upon which side of the business you choose and which team you get placed with.

Advice to Management

Better inter-office communication, and some slight twerking of current software. But keep doing what you have been doing which has been blending the best parts of both Command and Echo while becoming one company.

"Don't bother"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity for advancement and a chance to make some money right out of school. Friendly coworkers and camaraderie from your peers(not including direct managers).

Cons

They lie to you about the commission plans when you come on board, then drop the ball on you when you finish training that you won't be getting anything past your salary for at least a year (unless you're lucky). See, their version of a "draw" is where you get paid 14-17%(I don't really know because they kept dropping it every few months to pay us less) your book of business' PROFIT must cover your base salary before you start receiving any commissions. In other words, if you're not making the company at least 15K(profit, not revenue) per month, you'll be under 40K in salary until you do or they fire you. Micro-management is a whole new ball game at this place. They monitor your sales calls while you're on them without telling you. Maybe things have changed as virtually all management from my time there is long gone, but talk to somebody from the branch before you come on board or you're setting yourself up for complete failure. You're best to not even apply.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and support your whole team.

Jan 25, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to review our company. We are sorry that you had such a negative experience while working for Echo. We have made tremendous strides over the past few years, and continue... More

5. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Troy, MI

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is fun and young. They have good activities for the employees.

Cons

low pay and commission seems to be a pipe dream.

Advice to Management

Make everything clear to the employees, discribe in more detail and don't serve koolaid.

Jun 21, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for your review! We know how hard our company works, so we work hard to provide our employees with a great work atmosphere! Our base pay is competitive with the marketplace and industry and... More

"Good place to start a sales career"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The initial train program is pretty solid and does a good job of laying out clear expectations when it comes time to really get into the weeds. Employees tend to me in similar situations socially and there was a fair amount of non-work-related bonding (happy hrs, weekend plans, etc.)

Cons

Responsibilities of the sales staff extended way beyond what is typical. Making accounts recoverable collections calls, handling operations, etc. should be their own depts (maybe this has changed) 100 dials a day.

Advice to Management

Smaller teams with more consistent and on going training once the official training program was over would be helpful. Starting salary was very low when I was working there, hopefully that has changed.

Apr 21, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for your review and happy to hear you enjoyed the training and atmosphere during your time at Echo. Training is always an ongoing initiative and we're excited about some of the recent... More

7. "Best Entry Level Job Period"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Superior work environment. Decent starting pay which is made up for by the commission structure. Great company culture. They provide all the necessary tools to get the job done.

Cons

There are no cons at Echo

Advice to Management

Management runs the company perfectly

Jul 28, 2015 – HR Representative

Thanks for your great review of Echo and best of luck as you continue to grow your career with us!

"Love This Place"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Lake Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Lake Dallas, TX

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was working for One Stop Logistics until Echo Global bought us in 2014. I loved One Stop and had no complaints. Echo came in and offered us a higher percentage of profits from dollar one, 401K, excellent health benefits, and welcomed us into the family. Our training was quick, yet detailed and the transition was painless. A dummy could use the software for Echo.....It is so user friendly, and any question from any department is immediately.

So I meet a young man that is very intelligent and a go getter in my neighborhood from a mutual friend. He is fresh out of college and looking for a full time career. I told him about who I worked for and how much I love my job along with some of the benefits.....He takes it upon himself to seek out employment and drops my name. I had no idea he even did that. So he starts working today and by his go-getter attitude, I know he will rise quickly!!! Then for doing nothing but loving my job, Echo paid me a $1000 referral bonus I did not even know they offered!!!! I hear my brother and so many individuals come home and hate their jobs and who they work for and what they do. I am so blessed to be a part of this company, and I am a lifer!!!!

Cons

On Fridays, the boss rolls out a cooler of beer for all of the employees to drink....I have a $500 a year total deductible on my insurance plan for medical and dental for my entire family, my pay is always on time and accurate. I sometimes make my mortgage payment in one day of work here, and actually it is most days.....

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing......Success is contagious. Investing in people is what every successful company has done, and you all have done the same. Some of my best customers have come from cold calling....Keep pushing cold calls....They work!!!! Numbers don't lie.

Jun 3, 2015 – HR Representative

Thanks for the very thoughtful and thorough review. It seems like you have an excellent grasp of what it takes to be successful at Echo and that you like the environment in which you work. Thanks for... More

9. "Small office feel with the power of a corporation"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and Benefits.
    Flexibility and room to nurture and grow as a consultant. Not your average sales job. No get it get it get it get it. This is really the only job that you are creating and running your own business. I have the unique ability to stumble and fall and not lose my house. The best job I have ever had. Lots of support everywhere.

Cons

Getting started, finding that first client. It is a lot of phone work.

Advice to Management

Any advice I would give would be trite and made up. So no, no advice. They know what they are doing.

Jun 3, 2015 – HR Representative

Thank you for your honest and thoughtful review. Great to hear that you are enjoying your work in our growing Portland office!

10. "Echo"

Former Employee - National Account Manager
    Former Employee - National Account Manager

I worked at Echo Global Logistics (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited ability to make the amount of money you desire.
    You determine your success, plus a little luck.
    Pretty relaxed environment.
    Good Mentor.

Cons

They play the numbers game with new college graduates.
    "Survival of the fittest" mentality.
    Do not really care about entry level employees

Advice to Management

Take some more time in new level employees and provide more of a salary than 12.50 per hr.

Jun 5, 2015 – HR Representative

Thanks for the review! We will continue to provide as many learning and development opportunities that help salespeople realize their full potential as possible. Managers receive specific training on... More