Echo Global Logistics Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 44 reviews)

• Over the course of those 6 years I've seen two things remain constant; great people and great culture (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission structure needs serious adjusting (in 20 reviews)

• Early start daily and long hours (in 20 reviews)

"Feel the Appreciation"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no shortage of education. It's a great company to work for if you're new to the logistics industry. The investment in their people is obvious. The expectations are laid out and there is never a question of what you're supposed to be doing of what to what level you are performing. The appreciation I feel at Echo is second to none!

Cons

The job can seem overwhelming at first, especially if you're new to the industry. There are a lot of moving parts and it's easy to get lost in the mix. Management is always around to help and keep you afloat, but the expectation is to learn and grow form your experiences.

Advice to Management

Stay open with communication. Constructive criticism is a must in order to gain a handle on the tasks. Always celebrate the wins, no matter how small.

2. "Echo Global"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Community to work for and in. High performers rewarded.

Cons

During season you work Longer hours and no overtime pay.

3. "Hamster Wheel"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Could wear essentially whatever you wanted to work.

Cons

No upward mobility, eat what you kill on a daily basis, base draw.

Advice to Management

Hire less reps, get lighter loads.

Jun 20, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for your review. Having a casual dress code allows our employees to focus on the work at hand. We do have limits to this, however, because we do have visitors walking through each office ... More

"toxic management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it's like a bus with really really wide doors, it's easy to get in.

Cons

direct manager was a complete micromanager, even though she would repeatedly say she was not.. did i mention she was a deceiving witch?? i still think of instances of when i was being micro'd and it gets my blood boiling. i've had such a better experience in my career after leaving the company, that it makes me wonder how some of the toxic management can stay with the company. there was even an instance where a manager rudely interrupted me while explaining something, and when i tried to continue, they asked why i was overtalking them... like WTF, do you want to know or not? can i not prove a point? i think ECHO is afraid to teach management how to perform with honesty and respect... too much favoritism... there's probably a REALLY good correlation to the company's turnover and management styles. SO GLAD I LEFT!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

take responsibility and own up to the complaints made by your employees. hear the employee out rather than the direct manager. train managers to be more effective at their job - even confidence counseling i could see benefit some... why have managers micromanage when

Apr 20, 2016 – HR Representative

We appreciate your opinion and taking the time to write a review on your time with Echo. We rolled out manager training over the past year or so. As a company that puts a lot of value in promotions ... More

"Great place to grow professionally"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Echo Global does very well with a lot of things. While workling for Echo Global you can be confident that you're getting above average compensation and outstanding benefits. The team and atmosphere are very welcoming and that is a huge selling point. You feel at home around friends when working. No matter the day.

Cons

A few cons for Echo would be misinformation. While nobody outright lies, I do feel like some of the expectations that seem black and white, and straight forward are in fact not and it is just a huge gray area.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to set clear and outright expectations.

Aug 6, 2015 – HR Representative

Thanks so much for writing a review. I agree that clear expectations from management are essential to employee success- please don’t hesitate to provide more specific feedback to HR so we can look ... More

"Operations Support"

Former Employee - Operation Support/Management in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Operation Support/Management in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Growing Company, that treats employees like cogs in a machine.

Cons

Culture, Pay, Benefits, and the overall way employees are treated and valued.

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is good in Scottsdale. Pretty obvious who writes any positive reviews about this office

Cons

Specific to this branch, Where do I start? Huge turnover problems, long hours with very low pay, no advancement opportunity, nepotism, HR violations, terrible leadership, they take failed managers and make them trainers, they take sales reps and make them support reps without any notice or reason why, they fire other managers to fall on the sword for the sr mgmt problems, fake/forced culture, on paper they may look good to the corporate office but people are genuinely not happy here, the list goes on but I prefer to not waste any more time.

More general issues, they try to call themselves a technology company but they are severely lacking. software is not strong, releases seem to be to fix problems and never actually create anything. Terrible base pay, long road to commissions, a laughable 401k plan.

Advice to Management

Stop running the office like your personal toy, these are people's careers at stake! The marketing team uses these Business 101 buzz words like 'carry the load together' but they carry no actual meaning. I know I am not the first person to bring these issues to the surface so its safe to assume they do not care about fixing the problems in scottsdale.

May 5, 2015 – SVP of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are continuously working to ensure the Echo culture is strong across all of our offices. I can assure you we take all feedback very seriously and ... More

"Echo Scottsdale: Poor leadership, low morale, & zero advancement opportunity"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are opportunities for travel at times which can be fun. The 401K is appreciated, although the match is pretty minimal. Can be a good first job to transition you into a 'real job' because of its decent location in Old Town, lack of a dress code, and younger average age.

I'm sure (I hope) the corporate office is a much more professional environment that truly has their employee's best interests at heart as well as the shareholders and customers, however, that is unfortunately not the case in Scottsdale.

Cons

I want to start by saying, heed this warning if considering employment. Management will try and get you to dismiss it as a 'disgruntled ex-employee' but, again, not the case.

I have seen more quality employees leave this office specifically due to the middle/senior management and lack of true leadership than in my time with any other company. Management makes promises that turn out to be blatant lies and barely even attempt to hide it. This includes but is not limited to the following; running sales spiffs that never pay out, promising reps to 'just keep doing what you're doing and we will take care of you', phantom team bonuses at manager's discretion that are kept as dangling carrots and dispersed (or not dispersed) without explanation.

They fully expect 10 hour days from all of their reps. Employees will literally sit there staring at each other hoping one of the others will leave first to earn the wrath of the managers well past their actual shift is done, honestly, I am not even sure if that is legal.

There are a few lucky sales reps (about 2-3 to be exact) that found their success years ago and the entire rest of the office revolves around making those few reps large amounts of money while no one else sees a dime of it. If you were not one of those first few reps - you will likely not find success financially at this branch.

As far as upward mobility, good luck. You are essentially isolated across the country from the corporate office with a small office of support staff. The best you can even hope to become is a low-level supervisor role with no authority to make impactful decisions. Only other option is to move across the country to Chicago to find alternatives at the corporate office, however, they do not offer any moving stipend to help.

Advice to Management

Adding a 'Senior' in front of your existing title while maintaining the same daily functions is NOT a promotion.

A $30K base salary is not competitive within the industry, restructure your commission plan because currently it is nearly impossible for a rep to even earn a dime of commission within their first year of employment without hitting the lottery.

Stop telling your employees that 'the grass is never greener on the other side.' Focus on fixing your broken management style and extremely low employee morale rather than trying to trash the reputation of employees that leave and the companies that they move on to - People see right through it and it only sheds more light on your lack of solutions.​

"Sales Representative"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

*Young culture, lots of energy and management is helpful
    * If you are doing your work, there is no micro-managing
    *Good training before you have numbers to meet

Cons

*Base salary is horrible
    *Potential to move up is pretty non-existent
    *High turn-over rate

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to advance or pay increases with time there. ex: every six months

"Fast paced, good environment"

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have a lot fun at work. Echo does a good job on training and keeping employees informed on the market and develops employees to help them for their career. Echo keeps the morale high by encouraging us and doing fun activities to keep people engaged. There's never a dull moment. My day goes by very fast and it's very exciting helping our clients do the inevitable and everyone shares in each other's successes. I like the people I work with and enjoy the logistics industry overall.

Cons

The system we use has some flaws and seems like the "red bar of death" pops up too often but the Help desk is always available and do a pretty good job at resolving any IT issues with a phone call to the dedicated IT line.