Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 44 reviews)

• Over the course of those 6 years I've seen two things remain constant; great people and great culture (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Early start daily and long hours (in 20 reviews)

• Commission structure needs serious adjusting (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Cannot beat the culture!"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has an incredible culture. I have created so many valuable relationships here at Echo that will last a life-time. It is a perfect job as the first job right out of college. It is fun, everyone is outgoing, but at the same time they take the job very seriously. It is definitely a “Work hard-Play hard" environment. There is also a lot of room to grow as the company is expanding and growing non stop. If you are a hard worker, you will be rewarded with compensation, trips, gifts... The company has an open door policy, and when I say that they do, they really truly do. No matter what level you are at, you will be heard.

Cons

The company is great, but the industry of logistics is rough. It is definitely not for someone of a sensitive personality. The industry can either break you or make you stronger. Partially, that is the reason why the company invests into people so much, so the pain of the industry wouldn’t overwhelm people too much. The initial compensation is not very high, but as I said before, if you work hard you will be compensated.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work motivating people and rewarding everyone for the good job that they do and keeping the work place so positive.

Echo Global Logistics Response

Aug 19, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience! It is great to hear the excitement and motivation you share. The Logistics industry can certainly be tough some days, and it is not for everyone, but we ... More

2. "Dallas Office = First-Rate!"

Former Employee - Senior National Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior National Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and values, exceptional leaders, high growth, market-leading service offering

Cons

Crowded marketplace, difficult to differentiate

Advice to Management

Keep improving technology and use the branches as laboratories of innovation

3. "Manage team of logistics staff"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Good pay for valuable work

Cons

Long hours with the time zones

5. "Great place to grow!"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Many opportunities to move up in the company

Cons

on boarding for new hires could be improved

"Great work environment, and earning opportunity"

Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great fit, and very little micromanaging takes place. You must be very self motivated and self reliant. There are a ton of resources here, but you have to ask for help if you need it. They are very big on knowledge transfer here. I have vets ask me for my opinion almost as often as I ask for theirs. The money is there if you can master the multi-tasking required to balance a large work load. The commission is not immediately available but they do offer plenty of bonus opportunity for your first 18 months to help get you through to that draw.

Cons

They could be more clear on a few things here. It is pretty common to find someone that doesn't completely understand how they get paid. It likely has a bit to do with the fact that this is a first time job for many recent grads. But it also has a bit to do with there not being much emphasis in training or hiring on explaining the draw and how to earn commission. Again, if you want to know something, you need to ask.

Advice to Management

Keep finding new and exciting ways to motivate your reps, and helping them to grow.

7. "National Account Manager"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can make a very good living here if you put in the work the first few years. If you do the right things.....and have luck on you're side there really is unlimited potential in terms of commissions. Once you have an established book of business and make the company consistent GP you have a lot of freedom to sell how you see fit and not get micro-managed.

Cons

It's a competitive industry and you have to adapt to the times. You're going to lose accounts to price, service failures, management changes, and sometimes for no good reason. You need thick skin to roll with the punches and position yourself to make money through the slow times and when the market flips. The only real con is the work can get very repetitive after several years so you have to find a way to make it tolerable and not burn out.

Advice to Management

Continue to advance technology and position the company to have a competitive edge over other 3PLs. Stop the favoritism and spoon feeding reps house accounts or accounts from turnover reps. Too many top "sales reps" who never really sold much. Aside from that, thank you for the great career and the financial opportunities.

8. "Opportunity"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Opportunity is present and the company was growing.

Cons

Management and technology has room for improvement.

9. "Outside Account Manager"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Account Manager
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Account Manager

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many, I guess free beer Friday's.

Cons

Merger acquistions beware!!! Everything upper management tells you before your merger will be a lie. Prior to my location being bought by Echo I had one of the best jobs ever. Echo senior management came in and told us we had a successful business model and nothing would change after our purchase by Echo. They made us sign a one year contract. That all changed year two. Even though I was still making the company very good money & by far covering my cost of employment they gave me a 40% paycut. I was told this would align me with other reps in the company. I had worked for 5 years to attain my previous salary & had exceeded every quota assigned to me. Echo made that all go away with my second year contact. Senior management knew exactly what they were doing when they bought us. They kept me at my old salary just to transition my accounts to Echo during that first year! Very disappointing & deceitful. Echo does not value employees only their profit & share price.

Advice to Management

I brought years of transportation experience to Echo & I have never worked for a more mismanaged company. Echo senior management does not care about the customer. Echo only cares about the carrier base they rely their business model on. Once Echo has churned through the limited US customer base, Echo's business model will be unsustainable. Get better technology, more competitive LTL pricing, care about the customer & don't cut valuable employees salaries just to boost profits.

10. "Sales rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As long as you perform and make the company money they won't micro-manage you.

Cons

Lots of politics as far as account distribution and feeding reps big accounts to only glorify them in front of the company. Leads are saturated, company is too big for it's own good now. Only grow via acquisition, not organically.

Advice to Management

Try to help out your sales reps besides trying to micro-manage them. Reward reps and take accountability for in-house failure.

"Awful"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am positive things are different at the corporate location. Employees seem properly trained there, and often post pics on social websites of the fun things they do there.

Cons

I'm not at corporate. I'm at a satellite site that corporate has never visited. I've been here for years, and had no clue who my HR rep is. After reaching out to corporate for 2 weeks straight, I received a phone call from our HR partner. Despite being told of things that could potentially leave my manager with a misdemeanor, HR still has not made an appearance to our location. We have witnessed top performing sales reps get fired or walk away from our location. HR'S reaponse is that they work for the manager.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. All of them. You could be missing toxic situations. I used to love working for Echo, but have lost faith.

Echo Global Logistics Response

Feb 14, 2017

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review, and want you to know our HR team is here to support all employees across all levels and branches. We realize there are differences between ... More