KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 863 of over 909 reviews

3.6
Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner
Pros
  • "great staff members, good work environment(in 67 reviews)

• "Echo has a great culture and lots of great people that want to help you grow in your career(in 37 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Same cons any sales job would include: annoying clients, sometimes long hours and constant market shifts(in 42 reviews)

• "There is no transparency for bonus structure and no there is no transparency for commission structure for client sales and carrier sales(in 29 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Echo Global Logistics and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years
      Featured Review

Echo - A Company I’m Proud To Work For

Jan 21, 2021 - Sales Leader
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been at Echo nearly nine years, and have worked exclusively on the client sales and operations side of the business. During that tenure, I continue to be impressed by the companies drive to grow and drive shareholder value the RIGHT way; a hyper-focus on employee, client, and vendor satisfaction. As the company continues to grow, so has the scale of my role and compensation. I’ve worked at both branch offices and HQ in Chicago during my tenure, and felt the same “importance” in both locations. The transition to work-from-home during the pandemic has been smooth and the company has been more than understanding of employees comfort levels and expectations during trying times. What “triggered” me to write this review is our recent focus on Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) during the latter half of 2020 and moving into 2021. Not only have I felt valued and a sense of family throughout my career at Echo, but the steps we’ve taken as a company to LISTEN to employees and the general population and take action is something that I’m beyond proud of. The executive team, starting with our CEO Doug but moving throughout all facets of the business, has made it known, Echo will be a diverse and inclusive workplace where no employee should ever feel they are not heard based upon gender, race, sexual orientation, or disability. While it’s easy to SAY this as an organization, the steps I’ve already seen taken to ensure proper education of employees, top-to-bottom, means so much more. The truth is, while this job is stressful, I love this company. The compensation allows me to live a great life. The organization makes me feel valued. Most of all, being a part of the company continues to help me become a better person.

Cons

Cons are pretty straight forward. While top sales reps make very high compensation, not every sales rep is successful and there are always going to be disgruntled sales reps who feel they worked hard and didn’t find success (and therefore a lack of commissions). There is also no doubt the job is stressful, and from a sales perspective, may require after-hours and weekend work.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good

Jul 21, 2021 - Carrier Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company , nice company culture

Cons

Tedious work, long hours, burnout

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Be cautious, extremely stressful environment

Jul 20, 2021 - Carrier Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Being your own boss more or less and managing your own book of business. Great for college graduates or people who do not have degrees.

Cons

Chained up like a dog to your phone and computer all day long. Can barely go to the bathroom without someone bothering you. Carriers and drivers will have no issues calling you after hours if something goes wrong. Some of the largest egos I have ever seen makes working miserable. The goal should be that the customer side and carrier side work together to cover freight, but unfortunately inflated heads make this impossible to achieve. Customer reps refuse to get back to you in a timely manner so you lose out on loads. Be wary of how they pitch this job to you. You more or less work in a call center. Commission "could" be great but you don't receive it until you hit your commission goal. This could last longer than a year so you end up struggling earning base salary which is pretty hard to live on these days. The only way to make a lot of money is to be on the phone from sun up to sun down. A consistent paycheck is a much better option. Don't be fooled by the positive reviews!

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great earning potential if willing to deal with Very Difficult Personalities

Jun 23, 2021 - Carrier Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Developed good verbal communication skills; Made good money right out of college; You can somewhat be your own boss/run your own book of business;

Cons

Very dog-eat-dog. Some of the biggest egos I have encountered in my life work there. Managing freight can be extremely stressful, even without having to deal with the hot heads and big egos at the company (and at the carriers and our clients)> Days can swing from feeling extremely slow where you really have to dig deep and push yourself to make calls (most of the job is talking on the phone with truck drivers/carriers/internal client reps).

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic Internship Program

Jul 9, 2021 - Summer Intern in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you're looking for a great internship program to start off your career, look no further than Echo. Plenty of opportunity for professional and personal growth with the company. Great culture and great mentorship program to help you get your career started!

Cons

Haven't had any complaints about the company!

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Is what it is

Mar 11, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of the people in the ops department are pretty fresh out of college/in their mid 20's. Any type of college degree can land you a space on the ops team - (this is effectively a kind of glorified customer support position) and it can give people an opportunity to get some good work experience & exposure to supply chains. It's a grind, but at this entry level role on the operations side, there's no taking work home. A lot of us worked this job while we took classes towards other things at night, and Echo afforded us the opportunity to do that while earning a living wage & having health insurance etc.

Cons

Logistics can be a pretty contentious business with a high turnover rate - a lot of people get burned out. This isn't specific to Echo, but large brokerages including Echo have a staffing model for their ops department of 'churn & burn'. It makes more sense for them to just take lots of people who don't necessarily have the background to get into a lot of more competitive business settings, invest heavily in a well planned training program, and work them like crazy for 6 months when most of them will have left (I was the only one of my training team of 9 there after 6 months). This isn't to trash the company, but as the headline says, it is what it is. If you need a place to get started and don't necessarily have a ton of business skills & experience, they will train you, then throw you into it. There's not much opportunity for advancement or significant pay rises, and the reality is as logistics ops you will just be doing a lot of soothing the emotions of angry customers.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Competitive sales environment

Jun 21, 2021 - National Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- industry leading 3PL and management/training invests heavily in your growth as a rep if you show passion and desire to learn/improve

Cons

Tough industry overall with many moving parts and communication always being a bit of a wreck both internally and externally, very hard to capture customer loyalty without a well-equipped operations team

8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Pros/Cons @ Echo

Jul 20, 2021 - Carrier Development Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working on the carrier side before '18 and it messed up the market.

Cons

Dealing with the constant tracking of your freight and other people who might not be in the office that day.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Potential To Earn As Sales Rep is Limitless; Great Leadership

Dec 22, 2020 - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great job if you are young and want to earn alot of money early on in your career (if you work hard); Competitive Base Salary and Commission For All Reps (don't have to hit a draw before making commission); Top to Bottom Leadership is fantastic and everyone is very knowledgeable, accessible and they really put in a ton of effort to make sales reps successful; Awesome Culture and they make it fun for reps.

Cons

Hard to move up if you want leadership roles. I was doing very well but left because I wanted to become a manager and then have opportunities move up and be promoted into an exec level role further down the road. I didnt want to be in sales my whole career. It seemed as if the sales managers didnt really have much opportunity to move up and advance their careers. I also was told that its very difficult for managers of young tenured teams to consistently make a high earning if they get even a few bad new hires on their team. Overall this is a great company however.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to learn new skills

Jul 6, 2021 - Helpdesk Technician in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of projects, friendly staff, free beer on Fridays!

Cons

Change in upper management has caused shift in morale in some departments

Viewing 1 - 10 of 863 Reviews