Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 47 reviews)

• The Dallas branch exemplifies the "work hard play hard" mentality very well (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, micro manage, not a great life/work balance (in 26 reviews)

• The commission structure is a rat race (in 21 reviews)

"Senior Sales"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere for someone right out of college
    Perfect place to learn sales
    Can make a good living with hard work

Cons

Not a lot of upward mobility
    No continuing sales training

Advice to Management

Invest in continuous education for your sales people so they can continue to grow.

2. "Inside sales rep"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

- Fun office
    - Lot of opportunities to learn
    - Great for individuals right out of college

Cons

- Continuity issues amongst offices
    - Lack of direction with leadership
    - Too many layers in the way to get work done fast

Advice to Management

Refocus efforts on employee satisfaction rather than prioritizing the interests of shareholders.

3. "Smile and Dial :)"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great way for young jobseekers w/o any work experience to move to a city and earn a paycheck

Cons

No clear career path for carrier sales reps. Possible to work your way up to a management position, but the sweat equity it would take to get there would likely be better rewarded if spent elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Promote positivity. Create culture where carrier sales reps aren't such easy targets for unwarranted blame.

Aug 17, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for the feedback. We understand that the carrier sales role can be difficult, which is why we have implemented one of the richest commission structures in the industry. There is opportunity... More

4. "Great culture and opportunity"

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Great working atmosphere. M-F 7-5 hours are great, especially if you have a family. Good benefits & 401K. Great first sales job if you are new to sales. You are eased into sales, starting out working solely on operations. Starting salary is above average in the industry. You don't go on salary versus commission until your 3rd year after you've had 1-1.5 years to build a book of business. The income potential is very real and very high. Personally work with multiple people making 100K + per year...in their mid to upper 20's. If you show motivation and drive you will be given every opportunity to achieve the same level. The managers, genuinely, want you to succeed. Most managers want their employees to make money solely because they get paid more if their salespeople are making more money. I am sure it works the same way here but you can tell they genuinely want their employees to do well for the sake of their employees.

Cons

Your first year in operations is more stressful than when you are switched to full time sales, at least personally it was. After you switch into sales and start building business you will find yourself tending to work related issues at night throughout the week and weekend. Which at the end of the day isn't a huge deal considering your dealing with issues that directly correlate with your money. Outside of it being stressful at times, there isn't really anything to "complain" about.

Advice to Management

I think the Salespeople with Operation Assistants can do a better job helping guide their assistants with the sales aspect of the job. When I was an assistant, I can count on one hand how many times I made calls with my Sales Rep. I didn't actually learn "how to sell" until after I went on my own. Most new Reps are constantly "worried" about how they are progressing. It's helpful that the Managers don't give you performance numbers to hit initially, which creates less stress. However, it would be a peace of mind to share other reps starting numbers with new Sales Reps. You could obviously do that anonymously. It would create a peace of mind.

Aug 17, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback for us, very helpful! It is important to us that all of our reps feel prepared when they hit the floor, and we will continue to provide our... More

"Only good to get foot in the door"

Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really the only good thing about the job in itself is that you come out of it with some good sales and logistics experience and can veer off into either after you quit.

No opinion on the company itself. Managers were nice enough and there are plenty of young people to become friends with.

Cons

The job/industry sucks and there's not much Echo can do to change that. However, I do feel as if working 7-5 is pretty absurd. Getting paid 40K for nearly two years until you go on commission (at 50 hours a week) is not a fair salary no matter how they try to sell it. Do the math, I've made more at an hourly rate at internships. Hours should be 7-4 and/or 8-5....you're wasting people's time and you're own money.

Aug 17, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Our recruiters and managers are fully transparent with candidates in the interview process; discussing the ramp up time to hit commission, as well as the hours that need to be put in to become a... More

6. "Carrier development rep"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Great environment Great people you get to make your own opportunities.

Cons

Hours can be long times but the company does it's best to compensate it's employees.

Advice to Management

Accounting could be made easier.

7. "Excellent career growth opportunities!"

Pros

Excellent culture that leverages IT to better serve it's customers. Tremendous runway room to grown one's career with constant opportunity to advance your skill set, and managers that encourage you to do so. Overall a great place to work that provides a wide variety of challenges and a team that helps celebrates success!

Cons

With such a fast growing organization, process change is very normal. Ways of doing things in the past may no longer work, and it is often up to the employee to take the reigns and make those changes themselves. This of course is easier said than done, but this "con" can easily be a "pro" if looked at through the right lens.

Aug 17, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Great review! As we continue to grow and evolve as a company, change is inevitable, which is why we need employees that are determined and up for the challenge. We believe our culture as well as our... More

"Account Executive - Managed Transportation"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment. You stay busy. Great home/work balance - normal hours. Helpful coworkers. Nice office. Great technology.

Cons

Promotions are hard to come by - based on popularity within work group, not quality of work or customer satisfaction. Salary is below average and stagnant. Work distribution is not equal.

Advice to Management

Encourage managers to be serious about AE's career development. Lay out achievable goals. Realize that people need a diverse work portfolio in order to keep their sanity and not burn out too quickly.

9. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some solid people here. Especially two of the managers. Upper management - not so much.

Cons

Non-existent courtesy when you are on the phones all day trying to hustle and make calls. Zero transparency. Total favoritism. If you were part of the old One Stop that was bought prior to Echo, you are in - given accounts, preferential treatment. As a sales rep not only do you have to cultivate new business, you have to manage claims and billing which takes away from building your book.

Advice to Management

Watch out with those HR games. That can really get your branch into a bind. The rest isn't even worth typing as my time here was grueling, painful at best. Turn the branch around from a local party spot to a true, professional office. Give more support to your sales team. Don't over sell the position - it is strictly ENTRY LEVEL with no room for growth. This isn't the wild west - you can't make the rules up as you roll along. But this branch manager certainly does. It's his sand box - period.

10. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Echo is one of my favorite companies I have worked for. The company has a great work culture, open communication, strong leaders and great talent. Echo fully supports my professional growth and I would highly recommend the company. The company also offers competitive pay especially within the sales organization .

Cons

So far since I have started there has not been any cons working here

Jul 26, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We strive to make each employee feel valued at Echo, and are happy you feel the same!