Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 47 reviews)

• The Dallas branch exemplifies the "work hard play hard" mentality very well (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, micro manage, not a great life/work balance (in 26 reviews)

• The commission structure is a rat race (in 21 reviews)

"Look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your peers are awesome and make the job bearable. The dress code is relaxed.

Cons

Where do I start? Echo prides itself on its culture, but I fail to see why. The only ones I see benefiting from this so called culture are the departments that makes Echo's money or the chosen few who are liked. Echo boasts about career advancement. This is a flat out lie! You know who advances? The people they chose to advance. It's not based on hard work and/or experience. It's strictly political and if you don't play that game, you're not going anywhere. Oh, and let's talk about this disaster of a merger with Command. Almost a year in and things are still in shambles. Any perks that were in place were taken away without adequate warning or no warning at all! And please, don't say speak to HR about your concerns. They'll just brush them off as you're complaining. Long story short, don't waste your time working here!

Advice to Management

Get it together! Your tenured employees are going to leave because you fail to acknowledge and reward the work they do for Echo day in and day out!

"better options elsewhere"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

can have a good work life balance depending on boss but not for the first 3 years

Cons

complete lack of respect among employees, frat house behavior is still allowed and worse than ever, wasteful spending throughout the company on travel, alcohol but never any money for salary or additional staff

Advice to Management

sell

Jul 26, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We have always maintained a casual environment at Echo, although this does not excuse inappropriate behavior in the workplace. We encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR business partner... More

"Long hours, low pay, zero incentives"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They claim to have a great culture. Don't fall for it. Zero job growth with long hours (7am to 5pm each day with 24hr email expectations) at zero overtime.

Cons

Where to start? Long days with low commissions. Rat race that feels like s real salary is always just out of reach. Absolutely no career growth, treat employees who've been around for a long time with no incentives to stay. No overtime pay and management won't pay you out the commissions you worked for.

Advice to Management

Pay overtime or stop making employees work 7-5. Lawsuit on hours waiting to happen.

Jul 26, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

The logistics industry can be grueling – long hours are inevitable, and we are upfront about this in the hiring process, as well as what the earning potential is in Sales. We are sorry that you are... More

"Horrible company, very deceiving."

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office atmosphere is among the best you can find in a proffessional office setting but that is the only positive aspect of working for this company.

Cons

I have been working full time at Echo global logistics for 2 years. The company higher ups are among the shadiest business proffessionals you will ever come across in your job search. They do not value or care about their employees whatsoever and simply rely on the alarming turnover rate of employees to keep bodies coming in just as quickly as they are walking out the door.

The avg. starting base salary is always changing in a growing industry such as the logistics industry and certainly has since I started with the company 2 years ago. New hires are now being offered 8k-10k more to start than I was when I started with the company. After working hard for 2 years and making the company a good amount of money but falling just short of their extremely challenging requirements to make any sort of commission month after month I approached management and asked if they were willing to up my base salary to just match what the new hires were getting and was told simply no. They stated it was unfortunately my problem that I started with the compamy when I did and that they are not entitled to have to give anything more since I signed the contract even after showing great work ethic for 2 years. I was told it costs them 80k a year just to keep my body in the seat and the less they have to pay you the happier they are regardless of how much income and profit you bring to the company.

The commission structure is a rat race. It is designed for you to fall just short every month but keeps the rat running and chasing the wheel.

Working 60+ hours a week is draining physically and mentally, which is fine. However when you get home at night and you are so mentally drained that you can barely communicate with your family or friends and think about the fact that you didnt make any more money that day than an hourly minimum wage employee at the local mcdonalds its frustrating. (At least mcdondals pays overtime)

Another huge con about the company is that unless you are willing to play in the thursday night softball league and go out with the team until 3-4am afterward to a local bar dont expect to be allowed to work on any of the good accounts that actually gives you a chance hit the ridiculously high commission requirements. In other words the "good ol boys club" are the ones that get taken care of not the hard worker who chooses not to be a degenerate.

Advice to Management

None they do not care about opinions. The only thing management and the corporate higher ups care about are themselves.

Jul 19, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

The logistics industry is tough – it is competitive, fast paced and constantly evolving. The hours can be hectic and stressful, which is why we implemented activities such as a softball league, team... More

"terrible"

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none except cool people on your team

Cons

everything is terrible pay is so low saturated industry, favoritism.

May 4, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We are sorry that you had such a negative experience at Echo. We are always willing take advice from our employees, and wish you the best of luck!

"Awful"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am positive things are different at the corporate location. Employees seem properly trained there, and often post pics on social websites of the fun things they do there.

Cons

I'm not at corporate. I'm at a satellite site that corporate has never visited. I've been here for years, and had no clue who my HR rep is. After reaching out to corporate for 2 weeks straight, I received a phone call from our HR partner. Despite being told of things that could potentially leave my manager with a misdemeanor, HR still has not made an appearance to our location. We have witnessed top performing sales reps get fired or walk away from our location. HR'S reaponse is that they work for the manager.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. All of them. You could be missing toxic situations. I used to love working for Echo, but have lost faith.

Feb 14, 2017

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review, and want you to know our HR team is here to support all employees across all levels and branches. We realize there are differences between... More

"The worst in town entire Sacramento/Portland Oregon office"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Lets see twenty word minimum. Hours extremely relaxed. it has benefits 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Great new office.

Cons

If you are not not part of the crowd you will be fired. No matter the numbers. If you are not somehow connected to a certain organization outside of work or not a family member, You will not make it in Portland. Commission is a joke.

Advice to Management

Break up the old boys club and you might not lose so much money. Recognize when someone is struggling and get off your butt and help them. Don't just "sit them in a corner and watch them fail". Actually was said in a meeting by a new manager. HA

Jan 25, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for the feedback. We try our best to make sure our branch locations receive the same TLC that our employees receive in Chicago HQ. I am concerned about the negative experience you are... More

"Broker"

Pros

No one micromanage. That's it.

Cons

Management lies to you during the interview. Dont believe it when they say they are committed to the long haul. They doubled our sales goals overnight. 80% of seasoned brokers who make alot of money have quit. The new employees struggle and rarely make quota now that corporate raised it. The new culture uses new reps to source leads and then fires them. The environment is noisy and roudy and unprofessional. New people seem scared when they see how hard it is. When it comes to the Command merger, they'll rip accounts you've been working on right out from underneath you. The young ones talk about smoking pot all the time and watch movies on their computer. Management doesn't care. Churn is probably 70%. If you need a placeholder this is great but not long term. If you get on, keep looking.

Advice to Management

Stop overselling the job to new people. Be more realistic about what the job is. Tell them it's sink or swim like real estate instead of a long haul. You know the churn is high, so don't lie about it to new people.

Aug 29, 2016

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t feel informed during your interview process about what this job entails. We work hard to be able to provide transparency during everyone’s interview, as we know this job... More

9. "Always lying about delivery times."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics as a contractor

Pros

Absolutely None I can see

Cons

Horrible Broker. Run for them and YOU will lose money. Bad business all around.They always act like they don't know about their loads. The famous line you get is " there must have been some miscommunication" .

"The Truth"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics (More than 3 years)

Pros

"Beer Friday", just kidding. You get to work with a lot of different personalities and it's a casual atmosphere, although both of those could be said for a lot of workplaces these days.

Cons

The work is monotonous, the hours are long, and the base pay is weak. Hitting commission and making money are almost two different things entirely. There doesn't seem to be any development of talent in any department or at any level. To be successful at Echo seems less dependent on ability or work ethic and more so on your ability to outlast your peers. It is an unofficial company tradition to give a congratulatory round of applause when people quit... That kind of says it all.

Advice to Management

Train and develop your people. Follow the model of every other company and give people bonuses or raises based on performance. It means more than a "badge".

Apr 20, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for sharing your review! We understand that the hours are long and the work can be tough, which is why we strive to give our employees a great atmosphere and culture. We believe that by... More