Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 46 reviews)

• Over the course of those 6 years I've seen two things remain constant; great people and great culture (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Early start daily and long hours (in 25 reviews)

• Commission structure needs serious adjusting (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Cannot beat the culture!"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has an incredible culture. I have created so many valuable relationships here at Echo that will last a life-time. It is a perfect job as the first job right out of college. It is fun, everyone is outgoing, but at the same time they take the job very seriously. It is definitely a “Work hard-Play hard" environment. There is also a lot of room to grow as the company is expanding and growing non stop. If you are a hard worker, you will be rewarded with compensation, trips, gifts... The company has an open door policy, and when I say that they do, they really truly do. No matter what level you are at, you will be heard.

Cons

The company is great, but the industry of logistics is rough. It is definitely not for someone of a sensitive personality. The industry can either break you or make you stronger. Partially, that is the reason why the company invests into people so much, so the pain of the industry wouldn’t overwhelm people too much. The initial compensation is not very high, but as I said before, if you work hard you will be compensated.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work motivating people and rewarding everyone for the good job that they do and keeping the work place so positive.

Echo Global Logistics Response

Aug 19, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience! It is great to hear the excitement and motivation you share. The Logistics industry can certainly be tough some days, and it is not for everyone, but we ... More

"I like my job"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

I really like my job at Echo. I work with great people and the day flies by. All my friends complain about their jobs and are jealous when I say good things about work

Cons

Benefits could be a little better

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people. Match the 401k

"Echo Global Logistics – Dallas"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Echo is a young company with a very young atmosphere, the average age in the Dallas office is sitting somewhere in the neighborhood of 24 years old. Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard. The atmosphere is very laid back in regards to letting you do things your own way. Echo Chicago provides a great training experience for the branch. Almost all higher level positions in the company are filled via internal promotions. Sales reps are not micro managed in their daily tasks. No commission cap, which generally puts a 3rd year employee in the six figure range.

Cons

Echo’s starting compensation is a draw against commission, rather than base plus commission. This is standard across the board in most logistics sales careers. However, it can seem somewhat daunting at first, but generally representatives are above their base compensation within the first nine months.

"Tons of good opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's tons of room for growth, they're adding new branches and each branch is growing, including Chicago. All but one Branch Manager is an internal promotion, and every supervisor is promoted from within. Fun atmosphere, very energetic, the company realizes that sales is sometimes a grind and will incent not only with things like beer Fridays but also with outside sales trips. This really engages the sales force and acts as a light at the end of the tunnel--but one that's attainable. Higher-than-normal commission percentage for customer and carrier sales reps.

Cons

Rapid growth leads to growing pains, i.e., leadership territorial disputes. There's not a lot of "low-hanging fruit," which actually is a plus, but that means that to advance you either wait for growth or create your own opportunity.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to make investments in developing your existing employees. You're putting a ton of money into training, which is great, but the existing talent would love to see some development as well.

"We have endless opportunity for growth! The sky is the limit for us!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, fun, energetic, young company that has not even tapped into the surface of the multi-trillion dollar transportation industry!

Echo is constantly evolving into an industry leader in 3rd party logistics, transportation management and supply chain solutions.

Echo was most recently recognized in 2012 as the #4 Brokerage Firm in North America by Transport Topics' annual "Top 50" publication. (see link: http://ttnews.com/log50/2012/2012log50.pdf).

Managed out of our Scottsdale, AZ Branch, Echo also received the highly regarded "2012 Carrier of the Year Award" by Monster Beverage Company.

As we continue to build our teams with highly motivated and aggressive talent, the growth potential is endless. Transportation is a relationship business. Echo takes great pride in constantly building those relationships with our customers and carriers.

Cons

Both a Pro and a Con: We are young and growing rapidly.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive and direct growth and employee development!

"I didn't know a job like this existed!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working at Echo. The Dallas branch has a fun work hard play hard mentality. As long as you are willing to work, this is the place for you. Its a young atmosphere that provides premeir training to their new employees. They bend over backwards to make sure you understand logistics and the sales process. The manager and supervisors are great too. They do not micro manage--they think out of the box and find new and exciting ways to motivate us. We even have beer Fridays and get to wear jeans. The incoming pay is competitive especially in Dallas. I still can't think of a reason to turn this job down. I have recommended some of my close friends, so obviously I think highly of Echo.

Cons

It is sales so you have to be ready to put in the work at the beginning to get a sturdy customer base. Other than that, there aren't very many cons. If you arent happy with something all you have to do is go to someone in management and they will help you. They genuinely want you to enjoy your job.

"Growing company- great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced and growing company with unlimited opportunities. Very supportive management, fun atmosphere, and great co-workers. Very comprehensive training that is beneficial whether or not you have been in the transportation industry. Not a mindless office job where you just go through the motions, something new every day. If you are a hardworker, competitive, and like a sales atmosphere Echo does provide you with the tools to succeed and invests a lot of time/resources in employees. Management is easy to talk to, very positive, always willing to meet with you to discuss questions or frustrations. Monthly reviews that go over performance, success, room for growth, and new goals. This office also likes to celebrate success and recognizes when you do a good job or are improving. New office is in a great location with many windows and lots of natural light.

Cons

Less sick days and company holidays than other companies I've worked for.

"Growing company, stable industry, great company culture"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone who works here is outgoing, high energy and competitive. Its a casual dress code and can wear shorts which is awesome in the dead of summer. You are constantly busy which makes the day fly by. Its a big open room/sales floor with no cubicals so you sit with your team and all the departments are interacting and negotiating with each other all day which helps you learn the industry and stay updated on market rates.

Cons

It can be very stressful at times and overwhelming in the begining. Since we are a broker, a lot of the problems that arise are out of our control and then you have to relay that information to the customer/carrier. Yes, they are usually upset which is really uncomfortable at first but thats just part of the business and its all about how you handle the situation so if you getting good at that is how you do well.

Advice to Management

I like the fact that we are not micromanged but it would be nice if the Supervisors had more time to "mentor" us and we could learn from some of the senior reps. When you are new, it can be hard to know where to start or hard to keep yourself motivated becasue the goals seem so far away and are conflicting at times.

"Great Industry - Great place to start and build a sales career!"

Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Troy, MI

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, young workforce.
    Uncapped commission structure-room to make $$
    Side sales contests to add some money at the start
    Great training, I didn't know anything about freight when I started here.

Cons

Like any sales job, can be a grind in the beginning
    Biggest room for advancement outside of building a book of sales is in Chicago HQ

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, we're growing well!

"Fast paced, good environment"

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have a lot fun at work. Echo does a good job on training and keeping employees informed on the market and develops employees to help them for their career. Echo keeps the morale high by encouraging us and doing fun activities to keep people engaged. There's never a dull moment. My day goes by very fast and it's very exciting helping our clients do the inevitable and everyone shares in each other's successes. I like the people I work with and enjoy the logistics industry overall.

Cons

The system we use has some flaws and seems like the "red bar of death" pops up too often but the Help desk is always available and do a pretty good job at resolving any IT issues with a phone call to the dedicated IT line.