Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment and lots of freedom (in 53 reviews)

• The Dallas branch exemplifies the "work hard play hard" mentality very well (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, micro manage, not a great life/work balance (in 27 reviews)

• The commission structure is a rat race (in 21 reviews)

1. "Former employee"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Great place to start out of college to get a feeling for sales. Really great sales leaders at all levels. They have a hard job and do it well.

Cons

Hard place to work if you want to get out of sales and try something else. Very difficult to move departments if you no longer want to sling freight.
    Also learned at Echo to never open up to HR because their job is NOT to help you/the employee, their job is to defend the company. Tried talking to HR about a bully in my department and HR looked the other way and only paid lip service that they would help me. So surprising, but now at least I know - I'll never talk to HR again if I have an issue - ever.

Advice to Management

Tell sales people on the way in if they have a career anywhere else if they want to try something else. Do away with the system of punching your time in and out.

Jan 17, 2018 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We take employees concerns very seriously and strive to provide an environment where employees feel they’re heard, valued and treated fairly.

2. "Client Solutions Rep"

Current Employee - Client Solutions Specialist in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Specialist in Troy, MI

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dont need to graduate college
    minimal opportunity
    snack closet

Cons

coffee
    8-5 of cold calling
    hard to grow within the company
    getting a college degree to work with unprofessional people

Advice to Management

Do something that makes people want to stay.
    change the culture
    figure out a way to keep people stimulated

3. "Account manager"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

None there are nothing i can come up with

Cons

Everything including co workers. Very cutthroat and freeforall taking accounts and backstabbing

Advice to Management

Shut down and go away.

"Minorities should stay away."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Potential to make money there! It will also take up 18 months to build your book of business. People are closing new business daily.

Cons

Not a job for minorities. Management at times will go weeks without saying hello even when you sit right next to them. Prior to me leaving the office was very vulgar with racist remarks and comments in the office about women, Mexicans and African Americans. Managers are selective on whom they assist and will sometimes quote you a higher rate hoping that you will fail when quoting a customer. Would be a great company to work for if it wasn't for the politics. My manager made me very uncomfortable, and fell unwanted.

Advice to Management

When people are new to Echo and logistics you are basically their parent in the industry. They will look to you for advice and answers. Don't yell at them and discourage them for asking a question as you where once new to the industry. You are killing their morale with Echo, and you never know what great things they could have accomplished within the company.

Oct 13, 2017

Thank you for the information. We take these statements very seriously here at Echo and will be looking into this.

"Look Elsewhere. Cookie Cutter 3PL"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for internships or first job experience.

Cons

This is a just out of college company. Revolving door factory. If you planned on having any career here you need to end that belief now. This company has the largest presence of nepotism out of any company I have ever worked for. Their HR and Management is a complete joke.

Aug 23, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

A majority of our open positions are entry level which tends to attract recent grads, however, we promote career growth and opportunity across the entire company and at every level. Over 50% of our... More

"Look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your peers are awesome and make the job bearable. The dress code is relaxed.

Cons

Where do I start? Echo prides itself on its culture, but I fail to see why. The only ones I see benefiting from this so called culture are the departments that makes Echo's money or the chosen few who are liked. Echo boasts about career advancement. This is a flat out lie! You know who advances? The people they chose to advance. It's not based on hard work and/or experience. It's strictly political and if you don't play that game, you're not going anywhere. Oh, and let's talk about this disaster of a merger with Command. Almost a year in and things are still in shambles. Any perks that were in place were taken away without adequate warning or no warning at all! And please, don't say speak to HR about your concerns. They'll just brush them off as you're complaining. Long story short, don't waste your time working here!

Advice to Management

Get it together! Your tenured employees are going to leave because you fail to acknowledge and reward the work they do for Echo day in and day out!

Aug 17, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Echo hosts quarterly meetings that recognize top sales performers, as well as individuals that embody each one of our values. In addition, badges are given out to employees for both small and large... More

"better options elsewhere"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

can have a good work life balance depending on boss but not for the first 3 years

Cons

complete lack of respect among employees, frat house behavior is still allowed and worse than ever, wasteful spending throughout the company on travel, alcohol but never any money for salary or additional staff

Advice to Management

sell

Jul 26, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We have always maintained a casual environment at Echo, although this does not excuse inappropriate behavior in the workplace. We encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR business partner... More

"Long hours, low pay, zero incentives"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They claim to have a great culture. Don't fall for it. Zero job growth with long hours (7am to 5pm each day with 24hr email expectations) at zero overtime.

Cons

Where to start? Long days with low commissions. Rat race that feels like s real salary is always just out of reach. Absolutely no career growth, treat employees who've been around for a long time with no incentives to stay. No overtime pay and management won't pay you out the commissions you worked for.

Advice to Management

Pay overtime or stop making employees work 7-5. Lawsuit on hours waiting to happen.

Jul 26, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

The logistics industry can be grueling – long hours are inevitable, and we are upfront about this in the hiring process, as well as what the earning potential is in Sales. We are sorry that you are... More

"Horrible company, very deceiving."

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office atmosphere is among the best you can find in a proffessional office setting but that is the only positive aspect of working for this company.

Cons

I have been working full time at Echo global logistics for 2 years. The company higher ups are among the shadiest business proffessionals you will ever come across in your job search. They do not value or care about their employees whatsoever and simply rely on the alarming turnover rate of employees to keep bodies coming in just as quickly as they are walking out the door.

The avg. starting base salary is always changing in a growing industry such as the logistics industry and certainly has since I started with the company 2 years ago. New hires are now being offered 8k-10k more to start than I was when I started with the company. After working hard for 2 years and making the company a good amount of money but falling just short of their extremely challenging requirements to make any sort of commission month after month I approached management and asked if they were willing to up my base salary to just match what the new hires were getting and was told simply no. They stated it was unfortunately my problem that I started with the compamy when I did and that they are not entitled to have to give anything more since I signed the contract even after showing great work ethic for 2 years. I was told it costs them 80k a year just to keep my body in the seat and the less they have to pay you the happier they are regardless of how much income and profit you bring to the company.

The commission structure is a rat race. It is designed for you to fall just short every month but keeps the rat running and chasing the wheel.

Working 60+ hours a week is draining physically and mentally, which is fine. However when you get home at night and you are so mentally drained that you can barely communicate with your family or friends and think about the fact that you didnt make any more money that day than an hourly minimum wage employee at the local mcdonalds its frustrating. (At least mcdondals pays overtime)

Another huge con about the company is that unless you are willing to play in the thursday night softball league and go out with the team until 3-4am afterward to a local bar dont expect to be allowed to work on any of the good accounts that actually gives you a chance hit the ridiculously high commission requirements. In other words the "good ol boys club" are the ones that get taken care of not the hard worker who chooses not to be a degenerate.

Advice to Management

None they do not care about opinions. The only thing management and the corporate higher ups care about are themselves.

Jul 19, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

The logistics industry is tough – it is competitive, fast paced and constantly evolving. The hours can be hectic and stressful, which is why we implemented activities such as a softball league, team... More

"Work hard for nothing"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing positive to say about this company.

Cons

If you have any passion for what you do, want to work for a technologically advanced company, have competent upper management and higher ups that understand how things work and take action, or want to get paid for your work...this is NOT the place for you. I've been employed in the industry for several years and I've never seen such a lack of transparency, competency and understanding for how to fix problems big and small. There are never solutions, only bandaids that temporarily address side of effects to the larger problems. This place will chew you up and spit you out, but you won't be able to leave unless you're ok with walking away and leaving your paycheck behind because they can't figure out how to bill your customersin order for you to be paid. One would think Echo would at least have the logic to outsource their billing, but that's a simple solution...they only know bandaids, (the cheap generic kind that don't work).

Advice to Management

Identify problems, make improvements. Take action, be a leader.