Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 47 reviews)

• The Dallas branch exemplifies the "work hard play hard" mentality very well (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, micro manage, not a great life/work balance (in 26 reviews)

• The commission structure is a rat race (in 21 reviews)

1. "better options elsewhere"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

can have a good work life balance depending on boss but not for the first 3 years

Cons

complete lack of respect among employees, frat house behavior is still allowed and worse than ever, wasteful spending throughout the company on travel, alcohol but never any money for salary or additional staff

Advice to Management

sell

Jul 26, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We have always maintained a casual environment at Echo, although this does not excuse inappropriate behavior in the workplace. We encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR business partner... More

"Long hours, low pay, zero incentives"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They claim to have a great culture. Don't fall for it. Zero job growth with long hours (7am to 5pm each day with 24hr email expectations) at zero overtime.

Cons

Where to start? Long days with low commissions. Rat race that feels like s real salary is always just out of reach. Absolutely no career growth, treat employees who've been around for a long time with no incentives to stay. No overtime pay and management won't pay you out the commissions you worked for.

Advice to Management

Pay overtime or stop making employees work 7-5. Lawsuit on hours waiting to happen.

Jul 26, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

The logistics industry can be grueling – long hours are inevitable, and we are upfront about this in the hiring process, as well as what the earning potential is in Sales. We are sorry that you are... More

"Horrible company, very deceiving."

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office atmosphere is among the best you can find in a proffessional office setting but that is the only positive aspect of working for this company.

Cons

I have been working full time at Echo global logistics for 2 years. The company higher ups are among the shadiest business proffessionals you will ever come across in your job search. They do not value or care about their employees whatsoever and simply rely on the alarming turnover rate of employees to keep bodies coming in just as quickly as they are walking out the door.

The avg. starting base salary is always changing in a growing industry such as the logistics industry and certainly has since I started with the company 2 years ago. New hires are now being offered 8k-10k more to start than I was when I started with the company. After working hard for 2 years and making the company a good amount of money but falling just short of their extremely challenging requirements to make any sort of commission month after month I approached management and asked if they were willing to up my base salary to just match what the new hires were getting and was told simply no. They stated it was unfortunately my problem that I started with the compamy when I did and that they are not entitled to have to give anything more since I signed the contract even after showing great work ethic for 2 years. I was told it costs them 80k a year just to keep my body in the seat and the less they have to pay you the happier they are regardless of how much income and profit you bring to the company.

The commission structure is a rat race. It is designed for you to fall just short every month but keeps the rat running and chasing the wheel.

Working 60+ hours a week is draining physically and mentally, which is fine. However when you get home at night and you are so mentally drained that you can barely communicate with your family or friends and think about the fact that you didnt make any more money that day than an hourly minimum wage employee at the local mcdonalds its frustrating. (At least mcdondals pays overtime)

Another huge con about the company is that unless you are willing to play in the thursday night softball league and go out with the team until 3-4am afterward to a local bar dont expect to be allowed to work on any of the good accounts that actually gives you a chance hit the ridiculously high commission requirements. In other words the "good ol boys club" are the ones that get taken care of not the hard worker who chooses not to be a degenerate.

Advice to Management

None they do not care about opinions. The only thing management and the corporate higher ups care about are themselves.

Jul 19, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

The logistics industry is tough – it is competitive, fast paced and constantly evolving. The hours can be hectic and stressful, which is why we implemented activities such as a softball league, team... More

"Work hard for nothing"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing positive to say about this company.

Cons

If you have any passion for what you do, want to work for a technologically advanced company, have competent upper management and higher ups that understand how things work and take action, or want to get paid for your work...this is NOT the place for you. I've been employed in the industry for several years and I've never seen such a lack of transparency, competency and understanding for how to fix problems big and small. There are never solutions, only bandaids that temporarily address side of effects to the larger problems. This place will chew you up and spit you out, but you won't be able to leave unless you're ok with walking away and leaving your paycheck behind because they can't figure out how to bill your customersin order for you to be paid. One would think Echo would at least have the logic to outsource their billing, but that's a simple solution...they only know bandaids, (the cheap generic kind that don't work).

Advice to Management

Identify problems, make improvements. Take action, be a leader.

5. "Broken Company"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Chicago Office is very nice. A few immediate managers mean well and truly care about your personal success.

Cons

Communication from upper management down is broken. Immediate managers never seem to know what is going on since nothing is communicated, even though they are constantly in meetings.

Commissions & bonuses change often and most the time not communicated well. They are also deathly slow at paying commission and processing payment. It can take 10-14 days for accounting to process an invoice. Often customers have sent payment in and Echo has the check. But they are so slow at processing and communicating the collection department continues calling the customer asking for payment ON LOADS THAT HAVE BEEN PAID. Making customers frustrated, and confused for no reason.

They treat Command Transportation acquired employees like second class employees, and they are seeing good people leave due to this. Echo reps have better commission, better hours and more support. Still very much like a separate company inside a larger crappy company.

Advice to Management

Pay your hard working employees on time and in full!

Jul 19, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Echo IS a business! Our employees work together as a team to move thousands of shipments a day. Our history has shown that blending our passionate employees with proprietary technology solutions... More

"Echo is the same amount of letters as joke"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Listing pros would be lying to you, the reader, and I don't lie. The rest of this is just filling the required word count minimum.

Cons

Where to begin? Management is a joke. And by management, I don't mean the pod managers, I mean the upper level executives including the brain dead gentleman who referred to himself as the CEO (yeah, that's you, Doug). Quality, efficient ideas and suggestions are brought to the attention of "attentive upper level managers" on a dsily basis but you'd have better luck getting it thru to a foreign speaking mentally challenged giraffe. The majority of original echo employees don't know what a phone is our how to use it - which is concerning considering the vast part of their job revolves around it (but that might explain why customers and carriers hate working with echo). The executives pay themselves before paying carrier invoices (spoiler alert: the carrier's are not ok with that). But that doesn't effect the customer reps. Management does a good enough job screwing them over by not paying them their earned commissions. Don't worry though, you can email the commissions department and get a reply within 7-46 business days where they will ask you to explain your concerns again because it went over their heads and either the company hires brain dead employees or tells them to play dumb; I'm convinced. Employees are quitting left and right and implosion will soon follow. Pay your respects now and wish them well (even get Doug to take you to lunch on the corporate card because that's the only money anyone has in the company and maybe then you can even spit in his food) - because the company will not have any employees much longer and will shut down or file bankruptcy soon after. (Thats a good thing guys. Corrupt companies SHOULD fail)

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves. You're useless.

"Sales"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Good online system and publically traded

Cons

Mentally abusive- disconnect between upper management and lower level

Advice to Management

Hire a new HR team

"terrible"

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none except cool people on your team

Cons

everything is terrible pay is so low saturated industry, favoritism.

May 4, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We are sorry that you had such a negative experience at Echo. We are always willing take advice from our employees, and wish you the best of luck!

"STAY AWAY FROM HERE"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent LTL package and their managed LTL program is unique. Outside of LTL the pros just about stop at that point

Cons

-They pride themselves on being a technological innovator in the industry but When they acquired Command they actually kept the bulk of the programs we designed in house. Our programs now what their entire platform is based on. The few programs that are native to Echo are outdated and highly inefficient.
    -The vast majority of carrier reps have been there less than 2 years so their purchasing power really isn't all that competitive. This makes sense when you realize that their turnover is sky high
    -Their commission structure is constantly evolving and transparency as to your own earnings couldn't be worse. At Command transportation we had an itemized inventory for every single load we moved and how much commission was won or lost. This is not the case at Echo. You have to jump through many hoops to see the real money you're making.
    -Overall, they've acquired too many companies and don't know which way to go. They aren't an efficient company don't do nearly enough for their reps.

This is a great industry to be in but Echo has started to turn and burn employees for their own bottom line. If you want to press your luck and try it then that's up to you. However, I think most people will have better luck both personally and financially at a smaller, more nimble firm.

Advice to Management

There's a reason you're stock was trending at a 52 week low last month.

Apr 25, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We understand the frustration that comes with an integration and know working through the different kinks can be difficult. The companies we acquire are a strategic move to help leverage different... More

"DON'T - you're better than this place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will without a doubt meet some of your best friends here. Other than that, not a lot of pros.

Cons

Echo claims to have a great culture and to be continually doing things to ensure career growth. Well let me tell you, neither of those are true. Echo has a terrible culture. They think the culture is great because people are friends and go to happy hour together. Culture should go beyond that and stand for more than that, which Echo does not. They will tell you over and over that they offer career growth but they don't. There is literally no growth to be had. They pick favorites and offer those people decent bumps in pay, but anyone else that isn't a favorite will get totally screwed no matter how hard you work. If you aren't a favorite or a top sales rep, get out while you can.

Echo tries to distract everyone by offering beer Friday, and a "cool office space", but when it comes down to it everyone is VERY underpaid. It is a known fact that they try to get people in the door at the CHEAPEST offer possible and will do everything they can during reviews to not give you a merit increase.

If you are ok grinding day in and day out and not ever developing your skill set or learning, you're an ideal employee. They look for people who aren't smart enough to realize their potential, people who they can schmooze into staying there because they "value" you, but they don't. How can they value you, when they under pay you and offer you zero career growth? Well, they'll tell you "at your next review we should be able to give you a nice bump in pay but right now can't". Also, don't get excited about bonuses because they are so small it's almost offensive.

Advice to Management

Maybe market Echo as a company that's a starter job, don't lie and says its a place to grow your career. Be up front and tell candidates that this is a good job right out of college to get some experience on your resume.

Recognize the people who actually work hard and put in years of hard work and compensate them accordingly. STOP UNDERPAYING PEOPLE.

Be more than just a company who cares about making money. Give back, get involved in the community. Stop making people feel like they have to be chained to their desk. Stop buying fancy things for the office and spending money on extravagant parties and things people don't care about, use that money to pay people more or use that money in a more philanthropic way.